Opinions / thoughts PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions / thoughts PLEASE

So it's been since 2010 when I've been having different symptoms and refusing to see docs and just fighting through whatever comes at me(denial maybe), Now I'm like ok maybe I need to seek help before something really goes wrong.*

Symptoms:
    When it's warm I get the foot drop on right side like I'm kicking my leg out.

Pins, needles right foot leg thigh groin, noticed in my hands at times. Nerve pains

Fatigue for no reason*

Headaches at times*

Floaters in left eye and if backgrounds are bright it can be hard to see the details of what I'm looking at.

UTI's along with kidney stones 7 since 2010, bladder control at times.

During my last visit with the doc for my 7th kidney stone i told them of the issues im having so the order a bunch of blood test and MRI. Blood tests come back all negative for whatever they did it was like six different ones i think, however because of MRI findings i now have a Neurologist appotment not till Feb 9th though. I'm in the Navy too so seeing docs is sometimes a hassle or they are just way busy

I’m just wondering what to expect and what my MRI report may mean, my sister which is 2 years younger has been DX with MS?? Bellow is my MRI report Thanks ahead of time and thank you for reading

Findings: No true diffusion restriction identified to suggest an acute stroke. GRE sequences are negative for prior hemorrhage. No ventriculomegaly, mass midline shift or mass effect. No abnormal extra-axial fluid collection.

Multiple white matter lesions are identified: upper convexity, left greater than right juxtacortical as well as one in image 5 that appears to involve the subcortical u fibers, multiple T2 FLAIR signal white matter lesions involves the callosal septal margin, largest involving the right posterior ventricular horn and extending from the left frontal horn (measuring 12mm in transverse x 5mm in AP and 17mm in the AP x 7mm in transverse respectively), extension along the genu of the corpus callosum best demonstrated in image 12 series 601, image 11 series 701 and image 15 series 701a, single focus is suggested at the genu of the right internal capsule, right and left cerebellum centrally, 4mm white matter lesion within the left pons medially, and two foci one within the medulla oblongata and the second at the cervical medullary junction, right pontis brachim, lastly a possible 5mm white matter lesion subadjacent to the fourth ventricle within the posterior pons. Additional white matter lesions are present however the temporal lobes, deep grey nuclei as well as visualized portions of the optic nerve are preserved. None of these white matter lesions demonstrate diffusion restriction or enhancement to suggest active demyelinating process.

The visualized paranasal sinuses, soft tissues, mastoid air cells and nasopharynx are unremarkable. The pituitary, optic chiasm and tectal plate are normal. The clivus and visualized soft tissues and are normal. Expected flow voids are present. The dural venous sinuses are patent.

Impression: Numerous white matter lesions involving the callosal septal margin, right internal capsule, cerebellum, and brainstem without active demyelination are quite suggestive of a demyelinating process such as multiple sclerosis. correlation with laboratory parameters is warranted and recommend neurologist consultation.

Hello gchorn and welcome to MSWorld,

It really isn't a good idea to try and determine the meaning of your MRI results from someone on a message board.

You will receive an explanation about your MRI results from the Neurologist on Feb 9. I know it's difficult and anxiety inducing to wait but it's better than trying to self diagnose based on the opinions of others

Floaters in left eye and if backgrounds are bright it can be hard to see the details of what I'm looking at.
    Floaters can be quite common and benign. However, I would suggest getting your vision evaluated by an Ophthalmologist as this is their specialty. A Neurologist is not good for evaluating vision/eye problems.

Information about eye floaters:
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...potsfloats.htm
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

When I was in the process of being dx-ed, my neurologist used to tell me, "There are lots of illness that mimic MS".

Your list of symptoms certainly could indicate MS, but there are lots of other illness they could also indicate.

I don't know anything about reading or interpreting MRI results, even after I've had MS for 14 years and have had 9 MRI's. Even if I did, I agree with Snoopy:
      Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      ...It really isn't a good idea to try and determine the meaning of your MRI results from someone on a message board.

You will receive an explanation about your MRI results from the Neurologist on Feb 9. I know it's difficult and anxiety inducing to wait but it's better than trying to self diagnose based on the opinions of others ...
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks,

I know and understand the importance of waiting for the Neurologist, I was just looking for insight on what to expect when I see the neurologist for the first time?

I have been seen by a Ophthalmologist for floaters in 2011 and an MRI was done and was told at that time nothing was alarming, as this MRI was.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          When I was in the process of being dx-ed, my neurologist used to tell me, "There are lots of illness that mimic MS".

Your list of symptoms certainly could indicate MS, but there are lots of other illness they could also indicate.

I don't know anything about reading or interpreting MRI results, even after I've had MS for 14 years and have had 9 MRI's. Even if I did, I agree with Snoopy:

ditto, good luck
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by gchorn View Post
            I have been seen by a Ophthalmologist for floaters in 2011 and an MRI was done and was told at that time nothing was alarming, as this MRI was.
            Eye floaters are not caused by Multiple Sclerosis.

You are combing the eye floaters and your MRI together. It is possible for these two to be separate from one another.

I 2011 your eye floaters were found to be normal eye floaters. This is usually the case for many people, myself included. I have had eye floaters since I was a kid, my daughter also has experienced eye floaters.

backgrounds are bright it can be hard to see the details of what I'm looking at
            It's been four years since your Ophthalmology evaluation and (past) time to have your eyes rechecked.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi gchorn:
              I’m just wondering what to expect and what my MRI report may mean
              What to Expect
              There's lots of information online about what goes on during a neurology appointment and what to expect at a neurology exam. This is from WebMD specifically about a neurology evaluation for MS:
              http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...iple-sclerosis

What Your MRI Report May Mean
              There are two parts to your MRI report: Findings and Impression

Right now you don't need to understand what the details of the findings mean. Very few people in forums and chatrooms know what they mean either, though that often doesn't stop people who have no idea what they're talking about to chime in with whatever wrong or misleading thing they think they mean. It's a good thing that no one who responded to your post attempted to do it.

It's also important to bear in mind that the findings are a technical description, intended for other medical professionals, not for the patient or general public. It's generally accepted that a patient will ask the neurologist to explain the findings and how they relate to the diagnosis. That can be done once. Beyond that, it isn't the neurlogist's job to teach people anatomy and MRI technology. Ideally, the discussion can give a patient enough information to follow up on if they want to know more.

The Impression section is a summary, and it's intended for, and used by, a broader audience.

The Impression section of your MRI report speaks for itself and the critical wording doesn't really need any interpretation. Yours says:

Impression: Numerous white matter lesions involving the callosal septal margin, right internal capsule, cerebellum, and brainstem without active demyelination are quite suggestive of a demyelinating process such as multiple sclerosis. correlation with laboratory parameters is warranted and recommend neurologist consultation.
              You wanted to know what your MRI report may mean. Those are the words that tell you what it means. The rest of the wording is just the explanation for the impression.

An impression is NOT a diagnosis, which is what the final statement about correlation is for. Your doctor has to correlate this one piece of information with all of your other medical information.

EVerything else about the interpretation of your report will have to come from your neurologist.

Having to see Navy doctors means that the neurologist you see may not know much about MS and won't know what to do. You might have to be proactive and diligent to ensure that you can be evaluated next by a neurologist qualified to be diagnosing and managing MS. General neurologists frequently don't have enough experience with MS to do that. That's the kind of situation where learning technical details on your own can be helpful.

my sister which is 2 years younger has been DX with MS
              MS is not hereditary, but it does tend to run in families. Be sure to put that into your family medical history and tell the neurologist about it specifically. It's a detail that does statistically increase your chances of having MS.

As far as eyes and vision, floaters have nothing to do with MS. If yours were evaluated and determined to be the normal kind (and most people have normal floaters), it's to your advantage to remove them from your symptoms list to stop them from distracting from actual medical issues. Floaters become significant if there is a sudden appearance of new ones. The old ones are old news.

It's also normal for very bright backgrounds to be bright enough to make it hard to see details in the foreground. (It's a phenomenon that photographers use intentionally for artistic effect.) It sounds like one of your next tasks is to be evaluated by an eye doctor (ophthalmologist or optometrist) to determine whether you're experiencing it to a degree that's abnormal.

I wish you all the best for your neurology appointment. If you'd like, let us know what happens.

Comment

Thank you all for the info!! I'll update this as I see the care givers.

Comment

gchorn, these responses are typical of the types of responses that has been the stuff on this board for a long time ! And I agree with them ! Don't trust a message board to diagnose any serious ailment. I think that you should see a neuro-opthalmologist, for your vision concerns.
                  Before I was diagnosed with MS, I saw an optometrist, who sent me to be evaluated by a neuro-opthalmologist ! After much evaluation, the diagnosis was given that I had dry macular degeneration, a condition for which there is no treatment. Then, within a year, I was given a diagnosis of primary progressive multiple sclerosis, a condition for which there is no treatment or cure! So, I understand your distress about discovering the cause of your health problems. I just don't think a message board is the correct place to turn to for answers to a serious health concern !

Comment

If MS is confirmed

Welcome, gchorn,

Best of luck with your neuro appointment Feb 9th. As jreagen70 pointed out, Navy doctors may not have expertise in MS, so you will need to be proactive in getting referred to the correct type of neurologist.

I also welcome you to peruse (if you haven't already) the message board for veterans. Not that I wish MS on anyone, but if you are diagnosed while on active duty or within 7 years of discharge, MS is presumed to be connected to your active duty service. Should you apply for VA disability at some time in the future, keep that in mind. I am currently going over my active duty medical records to see if I can find early symptoms.

Again, best of luck!!
                    Melissa

Comment

Visitted my neurologist today.

Visit with neurologist today,

She told me possible MS, conducted a an exam i had some balance issues during that. She ordered me a neck and spine MRI, and had like 15 tubes of blood taken today. MRI will be a week or 2 out. She said we really don't like doing LP anymore until last resort, thought that was weird as my sister has MS and she has had that done.

Limbo world I'll be for a while!!

Comment

Diagnosed MS

Well got the results from neurologist by phone before appointment, as soon as she had spine MRI results and there were active lesions in C she wanted steroid treatment asap been on them for two days already noticed some good changes! She told me it is MS, glad to have an answer to my symptoms! Sucks to have it but I'll never let it have me!!!!

This Wednesday is the actual appointment with neurologist so I'll have more answers then just wanted to update my status, thanks to all for the support here while I was limbo!

Comment

Hi gchorn,

I am glad to hear you finally have answers but I am sorry that it's Multiple Sclerosis.

Best wishes
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                          X