Lesion found on MRI - Can't function, in a state of utter panic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesion found on MRI - Can't function, in a state of utter panic

Hello I wonder if anyone could help me? I am going out of my mind with worry because I am being referred to see if I have MS. I have always suffered with health anxiety and MS is my number one worry. In July last year I started experiencing headaches every morning on walking which go away once I actually get up and intermittent dizziness. I also experience intermittent burning in my right inner/front calf. These symptoms went away after a few months but returned in March. My doc thinks my symptoms are bizarre. He referred me for a an MRI which has shown:

MRI results ---------
    On this scan there is no midline shift shown. No hydrocephalous is demonstrated.
    No features to indicate raised intracranial pressure. At the level of the
    cranio-cervical junction there is no cerebellar tonsillar ectopia or other
    significant finding. There is one 2-3mm oval lesion with increased signal on the
    FLAIR sequence in the posterior white matter of the left frontal lobe. This by
    itself is nonspecific. There is no involvement of the corpus callosum. No
    convincing subependymal lesions shown. No infratentorial lesions shown. On
    imaging one cannot make a diagnosis demyelination purely on these appearances.
    Likewise, no clinical information is given about any previous episodes to
    further suggest the possibility of demyelination.
    No haemorrhage or cavernoma formation. No relevant finding shown.

On this scan the appearances are nonspecific. No positive imaging features to
    suggest demyelination. If clinical concern remains high however, then a
    neurological referral may be needed.

My doc thinks I do not have MS but has agreed to refer me. Im going out of my mind. I have a 2 year old little boy and just keep looking at him and imagining him growing up seeing his mum disabled. I can't cope with this.

Can these brain lesions ever be just a normal occurances or does it always mean MS. My only other finding is a raised IgA transglutaminase level of 5.29 (should be under 4.50) so I may have a sensitivity to gluten.

Doc said I would be having numbness etc if I had MS and that headaches/dizziness are not usually the only symptoms. But im worried about the burning leg sensation and I remember last year having a tingling in my cheek (like a pulse) which came on every night for a few nights lasing for about 10 mins then went away.

Can't anyone help me or give me some advice. I feel like I'm waiting for someone to give me the worst news in the world. Literally my whole day resolved around MS and thinking of my symptoms. Now this lesion feels like a death sentence

Hi jayney84 and welcome to MSWorld.

On this scan the appearances are nonspecific. No positive imaging features to
    suggest demyelination.
    On imaging one cannot make a diagnosis demyelination purely on these appearances.
    Likewise, no clinical information is given about any previous episodes to
    further suggest the possibility of demyelination.
    The above quotes from your MRI is saying the lesion is non-specific and does not appear to be demyelination.

Multiple Sclerosis is a demyelinating disease.

Can these brain lesions ever be just a normal occurances or does it always mean MS.
    MRI findings can have many different causes and does not necessarily mean MS.

I have a 2 year old little boy and just keep looking at him and imagining him growing up seeing his mum disabled. I can't cope with this.
    There are many of us with Multiple Sclerosis that are also parents. Regardless of limitations we are still good parents able to take care of our children. Our children are happy healthy kids, some having compassion and understanding of those with disabilities.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Jayney!

As I'm sure you've heard and read before, MS is weird and difficult to diagnose. Was your MRI done with contrast? I'm no expert, but they didnt diagnose me until after I had the MRI with contrast.

My doc didn't think I had it either. I have no disability and no symptoms. I had a headache in my eye back in December that turned out to be optic neuritis. That's it! I was almost happy to hear it was MS because I thought I had a brain tumor or something. Heh.
      "It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll,
      I am the master of my fate,
      I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

Oops

That posted before I was ready. Sorry. I was going to suggest that you ask your doc what kiNd of lesions you have. The typical MS lesion is "donut shaped" I'm told. I had the donut lesion and had a few lesions that were evidently the result of migraines.

either way, hang in there and be strong. When I was in limbo, waiting to hear what was going on with me, I attributed every tingle and ache to MS. I was terrified. If anything this disease has taught me that I am much stronger and capable of much more than I ever thought I was and so are you! Best of luck to you!
        "It matters not how strait the gate,
        How charged with punishments the scroll,
        I am the master of my fate,
        I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

The first thing you need to do is take a deep breath and calm down. Even if it were MS, it isn't the end of the world.

The findings on your MRI are sometimes also found with gluten sensitivity, as are the symptoms you have described. At the moment gluten sensitivity on it's own sounds like the most likely diagnosis. If you get rid of every molecule of gluten out of your diet you may well find your symptoms resolve.

Best wishes

Poppy

Comment

I hate that you have to deal with all of these issue worring about your young son to.

Just try not to worry, I know it's hard. One day at a time.

MS is so very different person to person. You could very well live your life without debilitating issues ever according to my MS doctor.

What ever the final diagnosis is, I pray that medical science has progress in that area to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by DPL2014 View Post
              That posted before I was ready. Sorry. I was going to suggest that you ask your doc what kiNd of lesions you have. The typical MS lesion is "donut shaped" I'm told. I had the donut lesion and had a few lesions that were evidently the result of migraines.

either way, hang in there and be strong. When I was in limbo, waiting to hear what was going on with me, I attributed every tingle and ache to MS. I was terrified. If anything this disease has taught me that I am much stronger and capable of much more than I ever thought I was and so are you! Best of luck to you!
              thank you for your replies every little tingle has me thinking of MS. It's all I've thought about all weekend this has been the worst few days ever. I'm sat at the beach looking out to sea wishing I had the guts to just walk in there and never come out. I don't want to be diagnosed with MS but know that I probably won't get answers for a very long time. I can't function with so much worry and can't look after my little boy everyone would be better off without me. I just want to die but daren't do it coz id hate my little boy to grow up knowing his mum killed herself so I'm totally stuck. I just don't want to be here I can't remember what it feels like to be happy or not worrying about MS. I feel like I'm living in a dream My head feels fuzzy and aching and I feel like I can't breathe properly. Sorry I have no one else to talk to coz they just think I'm being stupid and put my symptoms down to anxiety.

Anyone contemplating suicide, even if only for an instant, or anytime in the future, should call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline. PLEASE call! It's free and 100% confidential. United Kingdom: http://www.suicide.org/hotlines/inte...-hotlines.html
              Last edited by Kimba22; 05-10-2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jayney84 View Post
                thank you for your replies every little tingle has me thinking of MS. It's all I've thought about all weekend this has been the worst few days ever. I'm sat at the beach looking out to sea wishing I had the guts to just walk in there and never come out. I don't want to be diagnosed with MS but know that I probably won't get answers for a very long time. I can't function with so much worry and can't look after my little boy everyone would be better off without me. I just want to die but daren't do it coz id hate my little boy to grow up knowing his mum killed herself so I'm totally stuck. I just don't want to be here I can't remember what it feels like to be happy or not worrying about MS. I feel like I'm living in a dream My head feels fuzzy and aching and I feel like I can't breathe properly. Sorry I have no one else to talk to coz they just think I'm being stupid and put my symptoms down to anxiety.
                Hi Jayney, If you are considering suicide, you need to talk to someone now.

I see you're in England, so I looked up a link to the NHS suicide hotlines...here they are. Call NOW and tell them your feelings and thoughts.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Suicide...ting-help.aspx

Comment

I really hope and pray that you call the hotline. Anxiety is very real and I hope they are treating you for it. So sorry there is no one in your circle that can sympathize with you.

I believe the day will come when you feel fine, and this difficult time will be behind you.

This is just a moment in time I encourage you to make it through.

Happy Mother's Day stay strong.

Today may be lemons, your lemonade will be all the sweeter.

You are loved and would be greatly missed.

Comment

Tomorrow will be better jayney. You need to stop worrying about what 'might be' and focus on 'what is' today.

Fact: you have a beautiful little boy who desperately needs his mother
                    Fact: Even if it were MS, it's not the end of the world. Some of us have lived with it for many years and sure, our reality today is a bit different to what it was yesterday, but life is still lived to the full and in some ways enjoyed more than yesterday as nothing is taken for granted. I still ride horses, exercise and am travelling over to your part of the world in three weeks time. The only thing I don't do anymore is run so no great loss. Yes, I do live with pain but drugs take care of that 99% of the time.

It's only natural to be extremely anxious during the diagnostic period. It's the unknown that is the most torture but you will get through it. Ask your GP for a referral to a clinical psychologist so you have someone to help you put things back in perspective and to unload your stress onto.

The diagnostic process for most people doesn't end in MS and I suspect yours won't so please get some help for your anxiety.

Best wishes

Poppy

Comment

thank you!

Originally posted by Poppy7402 View Post
                      Tomorrow will be better jayney. You need to stop worrying about what 'might be' and focus on 'what is' today.

Fact: you have a beautiful little boy who desperately needs his mother
                      Fact: Even if it were MS, it's not the end of the world. Some of us have lived with it for many years and sure, our reality today is a bit different to what it was yesterday, but life is still lived to the full and in some ways enjoyed more than yesterday as nothing is taken for granted. I still ride horses, exercise and am travelling over to your part of the world in three weeks time. The only thing I don't do anymore is run so no great loss. Yes, I do live with pain but drugs take care of that 99% of the time.

It's only natural to be extremely anxious during the diagnostic period. It's the unknown that is the most torture but you will get through it. Ask your GP for a referral to a clinical psychologist so you have someone to help you put things back in perspective and to unload your stress onto.

The diagnostic process for most people doesn't end in MS and I suspect yours won't so please get some help for your anxiety.

Best wishes

Poppy

Hello guys, i just want to say thank you to for replying to my post. Yesterday was a BAD day. It doesnt help that my partner thinks im just crazy for worrying so much and actually said 'if you want to kill yourself, just do it'! This hurt .... A Lot I rang the hotline and they told me to go to my GP.

I have made an appointment to see my doctor this morning because i realise that i cant possibly live with this level of worry and anxiety. I think the worst about everything..always and its not healthy. I work in a GP surgery myself and have been told that sometimes people have these lesions and they are not due to MS. I drink, i smoke and i know i have depression since i lost my first son a few years back. I read that depression alone can cause lesions.

My headaches and lightheadedness 'could' be due to anxiety but i just dont know but obviously having a lesion has caterpulted me into a world of panic. I obsess over my symptoms to such an unhealthy level, theres no wonder they worsen to the point where i feel like i cant breathe.

Im waiting for the neurologist to ring me with an appointment for tomorrow (its costing me a fortune) but i cant possibly wait 4 months to be seen on the NHS. Ive made a time line of my symptoms for him because i know that i will get in there and my mind will go blank. Im really nervous about the neurological examination though in case i fail it. Anyway im babbling, thank you all for your concern, it means a lot.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Ask your GP for further celiac testing. It can cause the symptoms you describe.

Comment

Hi Jayney,
                          How did your appointments with your GP and your Neurologist go? I'm concerned for you and I hope you get all the help you need. Please update us when you can. You're in my prayers!!

Comment

Working...
                          X