Don't fear it until you have to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't fear it until you have to

I was dx'd about 12 years ago and lived in fear or anger for a very long time but suppressed it. The worst is not knowing what will happen next or even if a particular symptom is MS related. That REALLY Is frustrating and destructive. Twelve years later I am still relatively symptom-free except for fatigue (I do mourn my loss of energy) and I don't think anyone would accuse me of strutting like a runway model. I wasted a lot of time worrying and not willing to talk about how I feel. The message is many newly-dx'd may not become severely or even mildly disabled. New drugs and therapy are coming all the time so stay hopeful. Some times are harder than others but don,t waste precious energy when you don't have to.
    I recently put an ESSAY in the CREATIVE section that may hit a nerve with those worried about a wheelchair; it is called WHEELCHAIR BOUND. I hope it might help someone as afraid as I was.

I FEAR'd becoming chair bound before they ever figured out WHY I had so many walking related issues. Well odd as it may be, a new eye doc opened the MS can-o-worms.

Then the day came my fam doc thought I needed a power chair. He ordered a P/T eval and before she left she asked me if I needed it tomorrow! TOMORROW? I said NO.
    It was delivered on a Wed. The following Saturday I sat in it and nearly broke down that this day had come.

I learned the P/T was right. I learned to moderate my demand on my legs and found that by using the P/C part-time, my walking got a little better and I could actually do MORE, not less. This went against all previous P/T and their use it or loose it and no pain no gain. She was right, I was over using my legs and that made things worse.

Braces, canes, walkers, rollators, crutches & chairs are all TOOLS, no more no less.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Gomer

Thank you for sharing your story and concerns. I always say that turning a corner in one's condition is always the scariest. Like riding the Disney roller coaster that runs in the dark....without he fun part! Good luck with your new challenges. It sounds like you have a great attitude.

Comment

Working...
      X