Cystoscopy and Urodynamics Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cystoscopy and Urodynamics Testing

Have any of you ladies had a cystoscopy of the bladder? I'm being seen by a urologist for frequent UTI's and incontinence and I've been scheduled for urodynamics and a cystocopy.

Any input as to what I can expect?
    Sue
    Previous Meds: Avonex, Copaxone
    Beta Babe: January 2007

I've had tons of them no big deal at all!

They thought I had interstitial cystitis...turned out it was MS. Anyway have had about four or five of the cystoscopy with hydrodistentions and every kind of testing there is.

Truly no big deal at all. A couple of times they used IV sedation with me and I slept through it all. A couple other times they used epidurals and I was awake and didn't feel anything except the initial epidural going in which is always a bit owie.

Afterwards they gave me pain meds in case of bladder irritation. One time they didn't and it really wasn't so bad, just a slight irritation like you feel when a bladder infection is coming on.

I woke up each time with a catheter in and it was removed after I was awake. I really don't remember it being any big deal whatsoever.

Honestly, if I were having a cystoscopy again tomorrow, the only thing I'd feel anxiety about is the epidural because to me it always hurts for a second going in.

It will be okay, I promise, no worries!

Comment

i've had about 7 cystoscopies. i've never been given any type of anesthesia. it's a lil uncomfortable going in, it's like a bigger catheter...but you will be just fine. don't worry yourself to death. xx
      MS dx's 2000
      Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

Susieqj,

It's really not a big deal. I don't know if you've ever been catherized before, but do your best to relax and you'll be fine. I didn't have or need any sedation, anesthesia, or pain meds. The worst part for me was trying to hold my bladder during the urodynamics test. Of course, this is something they are used to and they were great when I didn't quite make it all the way to the commode.

My only regret is not having it done sooner. I had several UTI's last year. Two of them quickly turned into sepsis, once resulting in endocarditis (heart infection).

Best wishes,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks for the info!
          Sue
          Previous Meds: Avonex, Copaxone
          Beta Babe: January 2007

Comment

I hope the testing gives you some answers.

I have Interstitial Cystitis and had a cystoscopy with hydrodistension a few years ago to confirm the diagnosis. I was under anesthesia in the day surgery center. I don't remember it nor did I have any pain afterwards. No pain meds other than what was in my IV. I had to output 100 cc's of urine before they would let me go home.

I believe I had urodynamics testing. It was weird - I had to stand on a table that they tilted up almost upright, and then I had to pee - but it made a mess and didn't all go in the funnel. I took off my socks and washed up in the restroom. They said that happens frequently. I'm not sure if that is what you will have or not.

Comment

Working...
            X