Can menopause make MS sxs worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can menopause make MS sxs worse?

I am 46 and have been having symptoms of perimenopause for a few years. The last few months my hormones I think are out of control. Hot flashes, extreme moodiness, irregular menstrual cycle and the dizziness/balance issues I have due to an MS exacerbation in 2011 are more noticable the last few months, coinciding with the female issues. any other women experience worse MS symptoms with perimenopause/menopause? Jackie

Probably yes. Since each cycle can make MS worse, then it only makes sense that perimenopause and menopause would do it too, maybe worse.

Talk with your ob/gyn about it.

The neuro will be clueless most likely.

Best of luck.
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

My female dx'ing MS neuro was interested in the role of hormones in MS, particularly female hormones that can fluculate month to month, duirng puberty and menopause.

For some patients, it's the normal hormonal fluculations that contribute to MS sx's and exacerbations, based on earlier research on this topic.

There was a similar Thread about a week ago on this topic with lots of responses. You can try searching for it.

Comment

Absolutely yes!

My first episode of MS was when I was 24. The next obvious one was when I was 53, and at the tail end of menopause. Since menopause, my symptoms have just been increasing, ever so slightly, but increasing (sensory and balance issues mostly).
        There are some studies being done using Estriol (hormone) for MS. I have no doubt that hormones are implicated in my case. And I am still melting down daily with hot flashes--MS or hormones or both? Who knows....

Comment

Working...
        X