X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BREAST CANCER & ME *SURGERY* Part 4

BREAST CANCER AND ME ~
    **SURGERY**
    If you've not read my other BREAST CANCER AND ME threads, you might want to skim them to better understand what I'm talking about. Didn't want to recap anything, this is already toooo long!

Within 20 days after my biopsy. I had a double mastectomy. In that short time I did a LOT of praying, discussing options, researching on line and talking to primary dr., neuro, etc., talking to survivors, nurse/ dr friends, etc.
    Also, honestly, I did a lot of remembering of how granny looked without reconstruction. How sick my mom was – breast cancer spread to bones, lungs- 12 yrs. of lot sickness and multiple treatments of everything. That was hard.

Honest talks with husband on how he felt about me NOT having boobies (answer whatever it takes to make you healthy). Support of loved ones especially significant other is VERY important to how well you come through this!
    Many nights I don't know if I even slept.

The physical act of researching- picking up my laptop, holding it in my lap (I don't use a desk~ don't own one) PLUS wouldn't have dreamed that pressing down computer keys would hurt!!! But it did me. We are all different. For one, my biopsy was so close to the right arm pit, that just moving my right arm against my body hurt, add scratchy clothing, forgetting and picking up things, etc. OUCH!

Thank goodness for ereaders with internet capability. It has hundreds of books on it, can watch Netflix, and best of all can keep up with MSWorld on it. Bad thing was to remember to ask DH to plug things in when home.

My pregnant DD couldn't come, of course. My Navy DD, was in-between training and moving to another base. So was able to fly in 2 days before. Having family with me really helped. My DH, Mom, and Dad are always great. It's just something wonderful about my child coming to be with me.

Boy, didn't know how much I'd need help!!

Got to hospital early morning. Everyone had been so super about not drinking coffee in front of me or near my nose! If I'm addicted to anything, it's coffee.

Once there, things moved even faster than I wanted them. The same nurse who did my mammogram assisted in biopsy. She really made me comfortable.

Plus she went above and beyond. I had seen a web site advertising post-op mastectomy camisole, and a whole kit to make recuperating much easier. They are sold on the web by an individual. Contain a cami that you step into, it has removable pockets to put drainage bulbs in, lanyern (think camp!) with doohickey on it to hold bulbs while showering, her book of her experience. Think that's all. I didn't buy it, but great idea. If you google key words you'll find her. If you don't want to fool with putting stuff together or give one to a friend about to go through this.

BUT I'm a DIY especially if it saves money.

First check and see what your hospital/ surgeon provides for you to go home in. Mine was only the compression bra that is kept on afterwards. It has no places for drainage bulbs, have to put on a separate shirt to be decent, etc. Nurses said that they usually safety pinned bulbs to bra (how lovely ))
    My nurse was wonderful!!! She GAVE me some of her old, soft scrubs ahead of time so I could alter if needed, see my DIY on scub shirts. Several wonderful nurses overheard our conversation and asked her about it. They too donated very soft scrubs to me, more than I could use. Susan even came to see me pre-op before her shift to give me a bag of more that had been donated!!! There are still wonderful, caring people out there!!!
    I'm ahead of myself but here goes:

LIST OF THINGS FOR HOSPITAL:
    -wear comfy clothing ie. I wore black yoga pants, t-shirt and flip-flops.
    -if you have long hair that you like up, fix it up in ponytail, braid(s) I did 2 french braids down the sides, whatever is comfortable to lay your head back on and won't be needing brushing or changing up for awhile. (day or so)
    -remove nailpolish, hospital will probably list that
    -leave ALL jewelry at home (I did wear my wedding band which my DH held onto until I could wear again)
    -i did bring a crochet project because I can't lie in bed doing nothing. Was useless, couldn't wouldn't move arms enough to even try!
    -my e-book was very handy (of course, favorite books are too. Just make sure they ARE NOT heavy think paperback)

-Back to the nurses in mammography. They were super. The kit online calls for a open fronted shirt with pockets. I owned no such thing, and my husband's didn't work.
    -Larger sized button, velcro whatever down the whole front that you don't have to move your arms much works well.

-PULL OVER SHIRTS HURT TO PUT ON!!!!
    -i found several of my own tank tops and athletic shirts, that I could actually step into them and put arms in them needed some help pulling all way on,
    -I realized that nurses' scrub tops were perfect. Old ones that were broke in and soft, many already have closures down the middle. Those that didn't have a snap up front, I just cut down the front from the bottom of the V of the neck then used sticky velcro fabric dots (making sure the soft side was on top so in case it hit skin) to overlap slightly shut.
    The pockets are reachable from inside and outside the shirt! This is needed for the drain plugs you will go home with for a few days. If there is no inside slit to reach pocket take pinking shears if you have them, or just sharp scissor and cut across on the inside just below where the top is on outside and a little shorter, Mine didn't unravel and worked well, without the unsightly red blood draining cord being seen.

MORE TO PACK
    -again comfy, slip on shoes that are easy to walk in, you will be weak, are a must.
    I think I just kept my hospital socks on! !

-take your cell phone. I had an impossible time of reaching the room phone. So had to just sit and let it ring!!! argh!
    Also beware! It will hurt to raise your arms even up to your ear. If someone is in there with you let them handle calls ,if possible.
    I was rude and asked people NOT to visit or call ME while at hospital. My DH would send out updates on how I was doing.

-There's always some who think surely you don't mean THEM and come anyway. Can't advise on that, gotta go with your gut on that!! but my mom-in-love had no problem telling people I needed rest and couldn't visit or cut short their visit with same reason. Which was always true. I kept falling asleep during visits.

-We did insist if someone did drop by, they had to wash or sanitize hands.

**BACK TO SURGERY**
    Okay. My DH and DD stayed in the prep room with me. That's wear you don those lovely gowns open in front, of course!! Put all else in the hospital bag or with your supporters.
    Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself, if you don't understand what or why they are doing, ask!!!

Of course, they put in an IV. I was a bad(no, assertive) and asked for a nurse I knew well. She is my IV infusions nurse and I knew she could do what no others had, put an IV in my left hand with no pain or bruising.

I got in a bunch of long hard hugs from family and friends, because I knew it would hurt to do so for awhile. Reaching around WILL HURT afterwards.

After seeing anesthesiologist, surgeon checked on me, etc. Something was put in my IV to make me 'happy' When I started talking sillier than normal, they said it was time.
    My DH & DD were able to walk with gurney almost into surgery. It was comforting.
    I thought I was already okay with all this, but when the actual moment came, I was afraid, weepy & clingy.

I remember transferring to OR table, tucking my hair in the cap, then their conversation faded away.

I awoke in recovery and first reaction was to lift head up and look.
    DON'T DO IT!!! IT HURTS!!!
    Nurse came by gave me ice chips, dozed more, finally awake enough to go to room. I felt every bump in that hallway. Never knew hallway was so bumpy & uneven!! was able to stay in same bed..

The absolute worst about waking up was chest on fire!!! Literally, I would have sworn I had 3rd degree burns, at least! I'd read about it, but thought surely not that bad. I wanted my MS coolant gel vest immediately!!!
    They gave me the white disposable ice packs that helped and hurt. The cold definitely lasted longer and had to penetrate several layers, besides the lovely gown, but the ice cube weight hurt. Madw gel packs as soon as got home.

Just wanted to sleep, like I do right now. I will finish have to finish
    this later.

Sorry....

take care and God bless you greatly!

again, you may contact me at poohb3ar@msworld.org

i would love to 'talk with you' and be glad to help in anyway i can possibly.
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Pooh, you're so wonderful to share your experience like this. I know if I ever have to go through a breast cancer dx, this will be the first place I come to reread your posts. Such good information you're sharing. Thank you for your generosity.
    It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

too sweet

Originally posted by lusciousleaves View Post
      Pooh, you're so wonderful to share your experience like this. I know if I ever have to go through a breast cancer dx, this will be the first place I come to reread your posts. Such good information you're sharing. Thank you for your generosity.
      thanks for being so sweet.

thought don't feel i deserve it.
      'life' caught up with me and i havent finished here.
      will do soon if not tonight.

anyone going through cancer, hang in there.
      we're here pulling for you!

take care and GOd bless ya!
      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I've read every single post, pooh and think you are such a remarkable woman for sharing what otherwise could be such a private event. Thank for for helping others and blessings to you
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
        X