Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After my Mirena IUD got installed I feel ill....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After my Mirena IUD got installed I feel ill....

I have been wanting to get this put in for awhile... I finally got the OK from my primary care and GYN dr so I got it put in yesterday.

I don't know if i am being paranoid but I feel really sick now. I feel weak [more than usual] , I feel like throwing up, I just feel yuck.

I , of course always assume I have pissed off my MS when I suddenly feel ill etc. I am scared now I have made a mistake and I will get an attack.

I am currently on tysabri [not sure if that matters]

I wanted to know others experiences with Mirena...

Did anyone have trouble like this after you got it put in? Am I just paranoid? Will I regret my choice? Should I get it taken out?

I'm on year 6 of Mirena--my second one was placed last year. I absolutely love it, and am incredibly grateful that the technology for it exists. I almost never have periods, I get no cramping, and I looooove it.

If you are worried that it is making you ill, call your doctor tomorrow and have a chat. I definitely think you should give it more than one day before you decide to have it pulled; you could have a virus, you could be having an off day, etc., not to mention having it placed isn't exactly fun to begin with. I would think it is far too early to think it will mess with your MS one day after insertion, but again, that's a good question for your doctor.

(And if you are having pain, fever, other issues they should have mentioned at your appointment call your doctor FOR SURE. There is a small chance that the insertion can lead to infection, and while it really is a tiny chance, it's better to be safe than sorry.)

Comment

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
      I'm on year 6 of Mirena--my second one was placed last year. I absolutely love it, and am incredibly grateful that the technology for it exists. I almost never have periods, I get no cramping, and I looooove it.

If you are worried that it is making you ill, call your doctor tomorrow and have a chat. I definitely think you should give it more than one day before you decide to have it pulled; you could have a virus, you could be having an off day, etc., not to mention having it placed isn't exactly fun to begin with. I would think it is far too early to think it will mess with your MS one day after insertion, but again, that's a good question for your doctor.

(And if you are having pain, fever, other issues they should have mentioned at your appointment call your doctor FOR SURE. There is a small chance that the insertion can lead to infection, and while it really is a tiny chance, it's better to be safe than sorry.)
      thank you for your reply.

i think you are right i should wait a bit before i take it out. i just got worried because i was reading some sites and people say it made their MS worse etc so i got scared [im sure you can understand this]

i was also reading about how it works and it says that one way it works [besides the hormones] is that it creates an environment to piss off your body and get white blood cells there and that is one way it prevents pregnancy, so i of course got terrified that it was a bad choice since i try at all costs to avoid my white blood cells from getting too excited. heh. its good to know you haven't had any troubles with it.

what medication are you on ? [just curious]

and i apologize for the run on sentences heh

Comment

You clearly have good taste in music, so I'll forgive run on sentences. Are you feeling any better today?

I haven't heard anything about white blood cells, but I'm also not an expert. If I remember correctly, they aren't entirely sure what the thing works, but they believe it makes it hard for sperm to enter the cervix and makes the uterus hostile to implantation as well. The mechanism for this, however, ???

I'm on Avonex, and I've had MS for 2 years...well...diagnosis was 2 years ago yesterday, although onset was 2007. I was on it pre-MS, so can't say if it has increased my symptoms, although for 5 years post onset I'm doing well, and my neuro has no qualms about the Mirena, either.

I was on Copaxone, then Rebif before Avonex. I totally get why you would be concerned about it interfering with your MS. I think that while it is unlikely to do so, based on what I've read (always ask your doctor!), thinking about it an paying attention is very, very normal.

Comment

You clearly have good taste in music, so I'll forgive run on sentences. Are you feeling any better today?

I haven't heard anything about white blood cells, but I'm also not an expert. If I remember correctly, they aren't entirely sure what the thing works, but they believe it makes it hard for sperm to enter the cervix and makes the uterus hostile to implantation as well. The mechanism for this, however, ???

I'm on Avonex, and I've had MS for 2 years...well...diagnosis was 2 years ago yesterday, although onset was 2007. I was on it pre-MS, so can't say if it has increased my symptoms, although for 5 years post onset I'm doing well, and my neuro has no qualms about the Mirena, either.

I was on Copaxone, then Rebif before Avonex. I totally get why you would be concerned about it interfering with your MS. I think that while it is unlikely to do so, based on what I've read (always ask your doctor!), thinking about it an paying attention is very, very normal.
          haha thanks! depeche mode is my fave

yeah it kinda freaked me out when i read they were not exactly sure how it works......lol. i mean if they are selling the ** thing you'd hope they knew why they even designed it to do what it does? heh [i read this btw AFTER it was put in already if i saw it before i might have changed my mind]

thankfully i feel better now. i think me feeling sick was unrelated. it turns out i have a infection in my leg from a bug bite. so more than likely my MS got pissed off for that.. [don't you hate how your MS has a mind of its own? i always talk about my MS as if it's a person. my husband laughs at me for that. heh. but it feels that way since i can't control what it decides to do]

your ms started a little after i got diagnosed. i have had MS for awhile now..wow since 2004...diagnosed 2006 . cannot believe its been 6 years already..........an insane adventure it has been though..heh.

thank you for checking up on me. that is very sweet i don't really talk to anyone else who has MS so this is nice..

Comment

Originally posted by depechemode View Post
            yeah it kinda freaked me out when i read they were not exactly sure how it works......lol. i mean if they are selling the ** thing you'd hope they knew why they even designed it to do what it does?
            This made me laugh since so many of us take interferons for MS and nobody knows how they work against MS either!

I have the copper IUD and they believe that the tiny bit of copper wire on it changes the chemistry of the uterus just enough to create "a hostile environment for sperm." But yeah, they're not so sure.

Comment

I guess we're taking it on faith and statistics that any of these meds/IUDs work, right ladies?

DM, I hope your bug bite heals quickly. That sounds like no fun at all!

Comment

I guess we're taking it on faith and statistics that any of these meds/IUDs work, right ladies?

DM, I hope your bug bite heals quickly. That sounds like no fun at all!
                can you send private messages on here?

i wanted to ask you about this mirena thing more.

omg i have been having bleeding an pain the past few days and today i started to have small clots come out. is this normal? did you have this?

i called the dr office an the woman i spoke to was kind of stupid. heh. she seemed not to know what she was talking abuot an just said "yep. yep thats normal" to everything..........now i am worried she was just trying to make me shut up an hang up. heh.

like i just went to the bathroom now an yeah.............lots of blood. like. noT HEAVY but....still. more blood then i'd like to see........heh. an my period just ended so now its starting again or? wtf? sigh..

Comment

Unfortunately they have turned off the PM feature on here.

I didn't have the pain and bleeding like this, but the cervix is highly vascularized--meaning there are a ton of tiny blood vessels all over it, and it bleeds easily. Also, the insertion can irritate the lining of your uterus, which can also release some blood. Lots of blood, however, I'm not sure. (I hurt A LOT during insertion, then nothing. I spotted for a couple of days, maybe up to 5? Most people do have some cramping for the first day, though.)

From what I understand, a day or so of cramping afterwards and some spotting is normal. It definitely makes periods wonky for a few cycles, but I think I'd call back and ask to speak with a nurse tomorrow. Pain may be normal this many days in, but I'd want confirmation from someone who you are confident knows what they are talking about! I'd also ask for specific guidelines of how much pain and how much blood is normal, and when they want you to be seen if it doesn't resolve.

By pain, are you talking mild discomfort or ow! ow! ow! kind of pain? Ow! would make me want to call the doctor now.

Comment

been there...

Hello,

I had the Mirena in for a little over a year before I decided to take it out. I still had my period and my period was really heavy and I got really bad cramping. (I always had a heavy one but I think when I first got the Mirena in it was heavier for a while.) They say most ladies quit getting periods all together, but I never have the luck!

After about a year I started getting terrible migraines and dizziness. I thought maybe it was the hormones in the Mirena so I had it taken out and replaced with the Paraguard (aka "the copper" which doesn't have any hormones). It didn't make a lick of difference except I don't get cramps as much now. I still get them every once in a while but not like before.

Hope everything is okay and you feel better!

Comment

Working...
                    X