Wearing high heels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wearing high heels

Does anyone here wear high heels? I've never been very good at wearing them, but I feel like my feet being numb just makes it so much harder to walk in them. I'm not sure if if I just need practice? I'm sick of wearing flats every time I go out

Wedges are the Way to Go

Hiya, I've had MS for 22 years - fairly mild but balance an issue. While I can't wear high shoes with a seperate heel, I can wear wedges to get that extra height. They niw make "Hidden Wedges" where the style incorporates the wedge making it less obvious. My favourite company are FLY of London - great quality high wedge boots and shoes and soooo comfy!

Comment

Heels

I could wear heels up until about 6 months before my diagnosis. I now wear only flats. I have a lot of mobility problems though now so I do not walk much anyways anymore.
      RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

High heels???

I remember way back when I could wear them.....
        For more years than I care to count it's only New Balance.
        techie
        Another pirated saying:
        Half of life is if.
        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
        Dogs Rule!

Comment

No more high heels for me

I used to love to wear heels (could have something to do with the fact that I'm only 5' tall), but stopped being able to wear them about 1.5 years eago due to pain, numbness, and balance issues. I had several pair that I finally just donated to a thrift store affiliated with our local rescue mission a couple months ago. Occasionally I can wear a pair for a short while, so I kept my two favorite pair for special occasions. *If* everything is in sync, I can wear a pair for an hour or two.
          ~Lisa~
          "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD...(Jer 29:11)

Comment

I can only handle walking around in flats anymore, but when I go out I still am able to have heels on... I have to use the wheelchair. I may look into the wedge shoe though. I know it sounds crazy, but I cannot find any slip on shoes that fit my foot. When the steroids redistributed my bodyfat, my feet got skinnier than ever. And I had a skinny little foot to begin with. So it is hard finding replacements for shoes that would "appear" to be ideal for me.

Comment

I too, mostly wear flats but I do have some 2" wedges that I wear alotI have to use crutches to walk though so that helps with balance. I actually feel more secure having a bit of a heel because it keeps my foot pushed into the shoe. I can't wear any type of shoe though w/o a strap, otherwise it falls off.
              I started wearing heels around 14 so not being able to was one of my biggest frustrations! I have my trophy shelf in my room that has my favorite shoes displayed!
              "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

Rocking the Converse :-)

I never really loved high heels, but would wear them on occasion. About a year into my dx though I went through my closet during a relapse and purged anything that wasn't flat. I also would get in trouble on a regular basis with my neuro for wearing flip flops. I live in FL where flip flops are a staple, so this is a hard habit to break...

My MS is currently under control on Tysabri and I don't have to use a cane anymore, but I've stuck with the flats. I've even committed to wearing my converse sneakers the majority of the time. I have them in three colors and want to add more. I've decided they may as well just become part of my signature look ;-) Better than tripping and catching my toes all the time for the sake of fashion!
                A life lived in fear is a life half-lived.

Comment

Yes, at work and going out in the evening. I do prefer wedges now, and platform wedges are even better, even though they are less dressy/professional.

I used to do my walking commute in heels, but not so much anymore, I'm too unstable. Now I always walk the streets in flats and change into heels at the office.

I'm afraid if I stop wearing heels altogether I'll lose my ability to walk in them (which would happen even if I didn't have MS!).

This falls into the use-it-or-lose-it category for me.

Comment

Actually, the only kind of shoes I no longer can wear are shoes with no back -- flip flops or slides. Those make me trip!

Comment

Originally posted by als5445 View Post
                      Does anyone here wear high heels? I've never been very good at wearing them, but I feel like my feet being numb just makes it so much harder to walk in them. I'm not sure if if I just need practice? I'm sick of wearing flats every time I go out
                      When I use my wheelchair, I wear outrageously sexy high heels. While still undiagnosed, I started wearing lower and thicker heels. When I was cleaning out a deceased aunt's house, I found the shoes in the avatar. Lucky for me, they were my size and brand new. There was also a white pair. Those babies and her cane came home with me, little did I know. Shortly thereafter, the numbness and tingling started. On a lark, I tried them, I was amazed a how comfortable and supportive they were. They may be frumpy to some but they worked for me. Those granny shoes and auntie's cane elicited all kinds of comments.

Stella

Comment

I've only been diagnosed for about 4 months and I don't have issues with my balance so I still wear high heels..But, I don't usually prefer them because I am already tall and I feel like a giant..
                        Humor is reason gone mad.
                        Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                        X