No announcement yet.

having kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was diagnosed after our fifth baby. He is three months now. I had another episode pre-baby but didn't yet know what it was. But this relapse was signifcantly more symptomatic than the first.

Other than just being sure to take good care of yourself post baby to ward off a relapse, my doc said they are usually the most severe right after birth because your immune change, I'd say go for it. The first one will be the toughest because you won't have other helpers yet. But as the first child grows a second one would be easier as you have a helping hand.

Comment

Hiya,

I'm 42 and have had MS for 22 years. I'm still RRMS and ongoing symptoms are mild. I didn't meet my husband until quite late, we married when I was 39. I never wanted kids until I met him.

You will probably think Im crazy, but he has just had a vascectomy reversal (successful) (he has 2 Kids from a previous marriage who we love dearly! ). We are trying for a baby now. My hormone levels and tests all came back to say that I'm still fertile, not peri-menopausal and still ovulating.

We know the odds are low, and the risks are higher but what the heck! If you want kids, just go for it!!!

If I'm giving it a go after 22 years of MS, ANYONE with MS should also follow their heart :-)

Comment

Hi Des! You have gotten so much support from moms on this thread, each with different stories and ages. I had my first a few months before turning 39. Post pregnancy was difficult so we adopted our second when I was 42. I wasn't dxd until I was late 40's even though it was obvious I had MS for a long time.

I am now in my early 50s...sometimes feel like an "old" mom compared to the parents okf my kids friends (moms in late 30s and early 40s) but overall it is so great being a mom and being with my girls! Looking back, it all happened the way it was supposed to happen and I wouldn't change a thing!

Many blessings to you and your family to be!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcakeg View Post
          This does help. I know that if we decide to have kids, we want to have 3 and so that does make me think ahead and become a little nervous. It's encouraging to hear from all of you and it definitely makes me feel better. I talked with my ob/gyn about it and she also felt confident that I wouldn't have severe problems. I'll keep everyone posted as to if/when we decide to head down this road. Does any have any opinions as to when to start taking prenatal vitamins?

Thanks again,
          Des
          Check with your own doctor, but I think most doctors now say to start prenatal vitamins while trying to get pregnant, or at least take a proper dose of folic acid so that you have enough in your system when you do become pregnant. You will be less likely to have a baby with "spina bifida," also know as "open spine birth defect."

That can be a very serious birth defect causing paralysis and a host of other problems. If every woman had enough folic acid in her system before becoming pregnant, there would be far fewer (though not zero) cases of babies born with spina bifida.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
            Check with your own doctor, but I think most doctors now say to start prenatal vitamins while trying to get pregnant, or at least take a proper dose of folic acid so that you have enough in your system when you do become pregnant. You will be less likely to have a baby with "spina bifida," also know as "open spine birth defect."

That can be a very serious birth defect causing paralysis and a host of other problems. If every woman had enough folic acid in her system before becoming pregnant, there would be far fewer (though not zero) cases of babies born with spina bifida.
            I agree completely.

Comment

I've been on the fence about having a baby. I was diagnosed last year and I'm single so I thought that I would cross off the idea of having a baby until I met a few ladies in my support group that have had children since diagnosis. Lately though, I've been revisiting the idea again and since they mentioned that having MS didn't stop them from having a family - it makes me optimistic that I could also have a child one day.
              “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
              ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

reading these posts has helped me. went off birth control 6 months ago and havent ovulated. scared about starting treatments for it all while fighting off ms. havent talked to anyone about this except for my husband. im so scared about not being able to get pregnant. any chance the copaxone causes anovulation? thanks for reading ya'll.
                Katie
                dx rrms: 2/12
                copaxone 3/12 - current
                dx pcos 6/13
                gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Being pregnant with MS feels like a God Send!! After initial morning sickness..fatigue the 2nd and 3rd trimester makes you wish you were pregnant ALL the time. Almost all symptoms are gone!! It feels like a miracle..the energy..emotional well being..etc etc. Breast feeding prolongs these good hormones..and will keep you feeling wonderful. You may have some post partum which is treatable and you can still breast feed.

Here's the down side. Just a few months after weening..you are at serious risk for a full relapse. So you have to be in touch with the neurologist to gear up. And that can be depressing.
                  Symptoms start re emerging..and it can get overwhelming..and throw a toddler in the mix!! Holy wow. Trust me. Rollercoaster. You will be tempted to get pregnant right away..just to get those "good normal" feelings back. And it will work!! Only temporary. Then you will have more post partum depression..and 2 little kids to keep up with which can make you feel buried!!!

My best advice is do it!! Have a baby..it's awesome and in many ways heals you! But please wait 3-4 years between pregnancies. No matter how tempting. This way the oldest is off to kindergarten by the time new baby is born..and you can manage it all MUCH MUCH better. I hope that helps
                  From mommy of 9 and 4 yr old girls

Comment

The copaxone does not interfere with ovulation at all. I got pregnant with my second daughter...took shots up until the day I found out

Comment

Acute attack 5 days before due date

I am writing in the hopes that other moms of newborns may have insight on my situation. I am due with my first baby on Friday. Yesterday morning (Monday), at 4:30 am, I woke to find that my left arm and leg were useless. Terribly scary. Long story short, doc found a new, "huge" lesion. I am on a 3 day steroid drip treatment. I still have limited use of my left side, and am overwhelmed with it all. Also realized that breastfeeding is a no go, as I need to resume my Copaxone asap, in order to ensure that I am as healthy as I can be for my daughter. Anyone out there have any thoughts on getting through the labor process, and welcoming home a new baby in the midst of all of this?:/ Any info on how effective iv steroids have been at helping with attacks? Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
                      X