can ms cause early menapause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can ms cause early menapause?

Reading another post got me thinking. I'm 31 and have been having alot of symptms of early menapause, except the loss of dear aunt flow. I wonder if MS or all the medications we take can cause us ladies with MS to go into menapause early?

Originally posted by mommyto3angels View Post
    except the loss of dear aunt flow.
    LOL!!! I just got that one!!
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Although hormones are known to affect MS and its symptoms, MS isn't known to affect hormones or, thereby, cause early menopause.

MS treatment meds, though, can disrupt hormones significantly, causing irregular periods, irregular flow, and PMS-like symptoms. And the chemo agents can cause sudden, chemically induced menopause. That happened to me on Novantrone and it wasn't pretty.

Comment

God, I hope so!
        Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

I had surgery 4 years ago that took care of that but I can understand how some of the MS sx can make you think (wish/pray) it's menopause... like the internal heater that comes out of nowhere. Still LOL-ing at "dear Aunt Flow", sorry to all of you who still get a visit from her!
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

There can be a lot of overlap between menopause symptoms and MS symptoms - fatigue, sleep disturbance, even hot flashes.

First of all, menopause at your age would definitely be something a doctor should be consulted about.

But normally, the first stages of menopause (peri-menopause) are characterized by a drop (or fluctuation) in progesterone production. Progesterone regulates the menstrual cycle, so the first symptoms are usually changes to and unpredictability in the length, duration, and flow of your menstrual cycle.

The more commonly known menopause symptoms (hot flashes, etc.) are, I believe, caused by a drop in estrogen, which happens at a later stage.

Having said that, if you feel you are having unusual hormonal symptoms, you should see your gynecologist, since things other than menopause might be causing them.

Comment

'aunt flow' lol

I wish! I had an MS spasm (the charley horse that wasn't) about when I entered peri menopause. Luckily I got on low dose BCP then to help with menopausal symptoms.
              techie

Another pirated saying:
              Half of life is if.
              When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
              Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                I had surgery 4 years ago that took care of that but I can understand how some of the MS sx can make you think (wish/pray) it's menopause... like the internal heater that comes out of nowhere. Still LOL-ing at "dear Aunt Flow", sorry to all of you who still get a visit from her!
                I'm one of those that Aunt Flow visits. I am 52 years young and she has over-stayed her welcome. I am going through perimenopause.. that's why I don't think I have MS because a lot of my buddies are having the same symptoms as I am and they do not have MS.

I know we all get brain lesions as we get older... Lesions also can be caused numerous things... sinus issues, etc. I also wonder if peri-menopausal and menopausal women get them... I just wonder... Speaking of Sinus..my MRI showed more sinus stuff than MS. I recently had Sinus surgery which went great but never want to have it again.

Miss Jay

Comment

You can get lesions as you get older, but it is their shape and location, as well as other aspects of them, that offer evidence of them being from disease, not just aging. Take the one on my corpus callosum--my neuro told me they only show there as part of a disease process (MS or another issue), not from age.

Comment

Working...
                  X