Overly Sensitive - Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overly Sensitive - Need some advice

First off, I am a man living with a woman who has MS. I am posting in the "Ladies' Room" as I need your direction. I have seen many post on woman with MS having loss of feeling but my wife has the exact opposite. I have seen where this can be an issue with MS patients but I have not found any solutions or ideas. We have found that wine tends to help but that can lead to other issues

Any input would be appreciated.

Originally posted by calladj View Post
    We have found that wine tends to help but that can lead to other issues
    Red juice always helps! In all seriousness though, interrupted brain and spine signals can cause over-sensitivity just as it can cause numbness. It just depends on what message is being sent by the brain.
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I have no idea how to help in this situation, maybe ask her dr.... it could be a fun situation for awhile tho

Comment

One may think but it is so sensitive that it is irritating. It has caused issues since I dont' enjoy if I know she doesn't enjoy. Was hoping someone else had simliar issue and could say take this or do this and it helps.

It was worth a shot anyway. As far as talking to the Dr. I have requested this but not sure this has really occurred or not. I realize this can be one of those topics that is hard to bring up.

Comment

I'm sorry I was in a goofy mood when I posted that and it was insensitive. I shouldn't have written that.

Have you guys tried a numbing gel, like the ones people use for anal sex? It sounds a little wierd but maybe it could take away some of the sensitivity

Comment

Has she tried medication for sensory problems, like neurontin or tegretol. They work when a limb or your skin is overly sensitive, maybe they'd work on her problem as well.

I have experienced the overly sensitive issues during a flare...but it would go away. I always used ice packs to dull the sensation. That won't help your overall situation, it's only a quick fix.

Look up Vulvodynia...recent research has listed MS as one of the causes. I'd think she should see a gynecologist who specializes in that, but I'd try the sensory nerve drugs first, just to see if that helps.

Comment

i was thinking along the same idea as rdmc, there are gels and treatments to help with this and wether the hypersensitivity is due to MS or a non specific vulvodynia i would think the treatments would be the same- Vulvodynia is not something that is spoken about much but it is a frustrating condition that is not limited to MS, and it really would be worth finding a gynacologist who deals with the condition

Comment

Maybe consider a uro-gynecologist. My uro-gyno is awesome and really listens to me. She is great at putting together all of the pieces of what I tell her.

Comment

Is she overly sensitive all over her body, or just in that area. If it's all over her body, it sounds like a particular kind of diffuse nerve pain through the skin - something like I have. That is something the neurologist has to treat - Neurontin is the best treatment for it. When mine is acting up badly, yeah, I get hot and bothered, but to be touched in that area is hell for me, unless certain precautions are taken. And this can apply to either type of over sensitivity.

Try one of the cooling lubricants - KY sells them, and so do other brands. It made a world of difference for me. It doesn't always work, but it does sometimes.

Ironically, I get this same reaction when I get a fever. The nerve pain fires up, and no one wants to be hot and bothered when they have a 103 temp, but it happens to me.

If it's just overly sensitive in that area, I would still have her talk to her neuro and her GYN. I realize its difficult to talk about. It embarrassed me incredibly. And I would still try the cooling lubricant. Like I said, sometimes it's helped me - sometimes not, but sometimes it actually cuts down on the sensitivity.
                  Diagnosis: May, 2008
                  Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Working...
                  X