No announcement yet.

Experiences with Mirena, hormonal iud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implanon is an alternative form of hormonal birth control if the IUD isn't right, especially with regard to cramps and insertion problems.

Implanon is the little rods inserted underneath the skin - usually in the upper inner arm. It also usually causes your periods to go away, or at least be lighter and less crampy.

Then there are the Depo-Provera shots, similar effects but you have to get them every 3 months.

Comment

IUD

Originally posted by Guzzy View Post
      Hi everyone
      I would love to hear your experience of using mirena and if/how it had an impact on your MS?

My ms has been quite well-behaved in the last few years. I don't want that to change but I need reliable bc, and I can't use any estrogen because I've a history of migraine with aura.
      I have 4 kids. 3 are naturally mine. my youngest is almost 21 months. that march i had a mirena put in and that october found out i was pregnant!?!?!? i did not have any adverse side effects from my ms, but i would not place a bet on them for reliable bc. just thought i would let you know. good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by mama292227 View Post
        I have 4 kids. 3 are naturally mine. my youngest is almost 21 months. that march i had a mirena put in and that october found out i was pregnant!?!?!? i did not have any adverse side effects from my ms, but i would not place a bet on them for reliable bc. just thought i would let you know. good luck to you
        It has a higher success rates than most other forms (except perhaps abstinence or sterilization), but there is always that slim chance with any birth control method.

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your experiences! I just joined MS World today...my motivating factor was understanding how mirena has affected people, especially people with MS.

It's comforting to know that most of you haven't had issues with your MS from the IUD. However, some of your experiences make me quite hesitant to move forward. I'm sorry any of you had to go through the scary and negative effects from the mirena.

I have never been pregnant, don't want children, & have really heavy periods. My MS is quiet right now and I don't want to rock the boat. I currently have an appointment for March 21st to have the IUD inserted. I'm on the fence and am not sure how to proceed.

Sincerely,
          Lisa
          Warm Regards, Lisa

Comment

Lisa, the vast majority of people have pretty much no issue whatsoever with Mirena. When you ask about experiences for any medicine/medical procedure, the responses tend to skew towards people who *did* have issues, since they want to share their experiences. Most of us who have had no issue or only minor issues (5.5 years now for me, I'm on my 2nd Mirena) won't respond to these sort of posts because there isn't much for us to say. Please know that the experiences above are very much the minority, are not the norm, and are very unlikely to happen to you. Not that you shouldn't go in with eyes wide open, but really, Mirena is pretty darn safe and effective.

I would absolutely recommend it; I'm currently having my fourth period in 2+ years and not only is there no cramping, a pantyliner is more than enough to handle it. It's awesome.

Comment

Ive had my Mirena for 3.5 years now. I have only been diagnosed with MS 1.5 years.

The first year I had painful acne along my jawline and my period 2 Wks out of each month for the first year ( but it was light) . Now I have no acne and no period. I might spot once in a while (usually when I am on steroids) Normally I have to take low dose b.c. pills Bc I get acne also.

Comment

Again, everyone I know who has had this LOVES it, I am the only person I have ever known to have issues with it but I am not sure it was the IUD as I have a lot of problems with any kind of hormone.

Because you haven't had children though, it may not be ideal for you. Not sure if you posted your age, but I can say that if you are certain you don't want children, and being realistic that you may change your mind about that later, I have heard WONDERFUL things about Novasure. The women I know who have had it done LOVE it.

Basically, they go in and use a laser to "burn" your uterine lining. No periods, no pregnancies. But you still get the normal hormonal sx that would go with your normal cycle. I did have a Dr tell me also that if you get it at too young of an age it can need to be done again and there are some other risks that I can't remember right this minute but I remember that they didn't concern me enough to be the discouraging factor.

I am about to ask for the Mirena again. I am 37 and still hope that trying for one more child will be possible. But, if that isn't going to happen by the time I am 40, I am going to do the Novasure.
                DXd Fragile X premutation ~ 2004
                DXd RRMS ~ Jan. 2009

Comment

If you're concerned about hormonal birth control, you might consider the non-hormonal Paragard IUD. I dislike taking hormones for general reasons, not because of my MS.

I'm on my second Paragard and love it. I know you said you have heavy periods and some people report that their periods get heavier with Paragard, but that was not the case for me at all -- they got lighter actually. And it lasts 10 years, so ends up being pretty inexpensive if you keep it in the whole time.

Either way, you should ask your health care practitioner how often he/she installs IUDs. You want someone who does it all the time. And FYI, I have not had children, and have not had any problems at all (they just measured my uterus to be sure it was big enough first).

Comment

Hi
                    I just wanted to update this thread now many months later.
                    I got the Mirena in. It made no difference to my MS -if anything I think my premenstrual pseudo-flares are less intense. My periods are less heavy and I am thrilled with it so far!

Comment

Working...
                    X