Self Cathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Cath

It takes a while to get the hang of it, but once you do, you will be so relieved and happy. It's not painful at all. I keep my catheter in a toothbrush case so I can keep one in my purse, one in a bathroom drawer, one in my suitcase. And I always make sure I have plenty of extras around. I buy them by the box from Bruce Medical.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

Comment

I was told close to a year ago that I should self-cath every 4-6 hours.

I am very reluctant due to fear and UTI's. When I was getting an instruction on how to self cath the nurse had trouble due to my anatomy (i guess) and it was quite uncomfortable.

For those that are new to it - does it get easier with time ? If I don't have leg function can I still do it on my own ? I have to use a yoga block between my knees now to separate my legs when using the bathroom.

And is self cathing a permanent solution or a temporary measure to train your bladder to hold more ?

If your are prone to getting UTIs - have you experienced an increase with self cathing ?

Thanks for the info and these posts that are very helpful.

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I just started self-cathing yesterday.

The uro/gyn sent me home with 5 or 6 and told me to just wash them out and use them 4 or 5 times before throwing away.

So, I haven't ordered any of my own yet. I called my insurance company and I have a 20% co-pay.

My question to all of you...Is which one is the most comfortable? and do you all use a size 14f? I want to make sure I order the best ones that I can afford.

One more question...how often do you all cath? I am still able to pee a little on my own, and I tend to go to the toilet often.....so, I don't want to cath too much.
        DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

Working...
        X