Stressed out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stressed out.

I'm 16 and I was just diagnose with MS a few weeks ago.
    I'm a little stressed out, but I'm trying to stay positive. I started on Prednizone and next week I'll be on Rebif. what side effects should I expect from either medication? How can I cope with it?
    and can anyone share their feelings about their MS?

Thank you

Hello Danielle

Welcome to the MS World forums - nice to meet you!

I'm 16 and I was just diagnose with MS a few weeks ago.
    I'm a little stressed out, but I'm trying to stay positive.
    It's tough to deal with a diagnosis of MS, especially at a young age. I admire you for trying to keep a good attitude, but I understand your being stressed.

I started on Prednizone and next week I'll be on Rebif. what side effects should I expect from either medication? How can I cope with it?
    You might get more responses if you post your questions about the meds in the Medications Forum, as there are more members who view that forum.

Also, you are welcome to post in any of the forums (not just the Teens Forum) if you want to.

There is much MS research going on these days, and they're learning more and more all the time. You can remain hopeful, at your age, that progress is being made in finding better treatments.

Try to take one day at a time, and take good care of yourself for your overall health.

Everyone is affected by MS differently, so remain hopeful!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.
      I'm looking forward to meeting and talking with other teens w/MS too

Comment

hi,
        i am 20, but have been dxd for 7+ years now.

i was on rebif for four years, i had no side effects from it.

but, i did have side effects from a similar drug (go figure)
        they were flu like symptoms. the way to avoid them is to pre and post medicate. i took ibeprophen(sp?) 2 hours b4, 2 hours after and four hours after that. although your first rebif injection i would not pre medicate and just see how things go.

but for the feelings of being a teen with MS, dont worry, your not alone.

well, i had to learn some stuff the hard way. my advise: don't learn it the hard way. youll have plenty of that. so ill tell you what you what i learned:
        1. life is a whole lot better when you can laugh at yourself
        2. ms sucks...but that doesn't mean life has to with it
        3. life is a game of poker. you cant control what cards you get but you can control how you play them.

so you were dealt a 3 of clubs and a 8 of spades. play them like they are a pair of aces.
        Learn from yesterday
        Live for today
        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Dont panic kido.You are a brave kid.Hope you get through all this safely.
          Ramirez

Comment

Hey!!

I'm Courtney and I have been DX's with MS for about 3 or 4 months. First off it's good your trying to stay positive about your MS, just remember though some days will be better that others. At for me I was also super stress, worrying about how my life would change. Then my Dad, who has truely been my biggest fan, told me not to worry it's a speed bump not a road block.

About the meds, I was on Predinsone after my six day solu-medrol treatment to ween me off, never had a lot of trouble with it. As for the rebif, I'm on Copaxone (up to shot 74! ) so i won't be much help with that, but good luck all the same.

P.S. I didn't proof-read, so sorry if you can't understand parts...
            Courtney

Comment

i used to worry about how ms will impact my future, and was always thinking of the worse case scenario. well, that got me really depressed.
              today, i know that the future is uncertain for everyone.

and i treat my ms as a passenger on the road of life and not the driver
              Learn from yesterday
              Live for today
              Hope for tomorrow

Comment

hey kid

You have to be brave kid. I really really pray that you get the grip of your life soon.

Rebif may cause you flu-like symptoms which you can deal by taking flu-shots or can ask your doctor for the medication to take at your level. It can also cause depression and allergic reactions. Although it is considered safe for long-term use but there needs to be an appropriate monitoring for liver function and blood cell count. Keep that in record. It will help you

Prednisone may include sleep problems, anxiety and agitation, and depression.Take this medication exactly as prescribed by your physician. Do not stop taking it abruptly; your physician will give you a schedule that gradually tapers the dose before you stop it completely.This medication can cause indigestion and stomach discomfort. Always take it with a meal and/or a glass of milk. Your physician may prescribe an antacid for you to take with this medication.Since corticosteroids can stimulate the appetite and increase water retention, it is advisable to follow a low-salt and/or a potassium-rich diet and watch your caloric intake. Corticosteroids can lower your resistance to infection and make any infection that you get more difficult to treat.

Contact your physician if you notice any sign of infection, such as sore throat, fever, coughing or sneezing.Avoid close contact with anyone who has chicken pox or measles. Tell your physician immediately if you think you have been exposed to either of these illnesses. Do not have any immunizations after you stop taking this medication until you have consulted your physician. People living in your home should not have the oral polio vaccine while you are being treated with corticosteroids since they might pass the polio virus on to you.

Hope it helps.

Good Luck dear!

Your wellwisher!
                Andrea
                Andrea.G.Wolford

Comment

Hey. I'm 16 Also I Know How Your Feeling Because I Was Feeling The Same Way When I Got Diagnosed. I've Had MS For Two Years Now Going On Three & I've Been On Prednisone Every Since. Idk If The Side Effects Will Be The Same But Mine Was My Face Getting Fatter, Eating A lot, Weight Gaining & A lot Of Scratch Mark. Stay Strong, I Learn That's The Only Way To Be!

Comment

Working...
                  X