Relapse or the worst hangover ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapse or the worst hangover ever?

This is a long post (and my first) so sorry in advance for not introducing myself. I'm a mum of two special needs kids, and 43, have RRMS, and am on Tecfidera.

I'd rather not have to call the MS nurse or see my GP about this, so I'm hoping someone can reassure me this too shall pass?

Ten days ago, after a hideously stressful day where I had a horrible argument with my husband, and a phone call to say my father was dying, I wound up drinking too much.

It wasn't a massive amount, probably four glasses of red wine, and then the same amount of vodka/tonic. But I hadn't eaten much that day, hadn't drunk enough water. By midnight I was throwing up and carried on late into the next morning.

At about day 5 after the binge, I was still bedridden, hardly eating or drinking and I started to get dizzy, and unsteady on my feet.

I felt so awful and my heart rate was so high (115 BPM), I ended up in the ED, where after a day of tests, I was told I had Gastritis and had probably torn my esophagus from vomiting.

All of this was incredibly humiliating, and embarrassing, but I was very grateful to have an answer as to why I felt so awful.

But, here's the big but, that was 5 days ago, 10 days out from the binge drinking and I'm still feeling dizzy.

My fatigue does seem to be decreasing, but because my last relapse (where I couldn't walk) was brought on by very similar circumstances, I'm worried this is another (milder) relapse.

I'm so annoyed at myself, I was doing really well, was exercising, had lost a lot of weight, my MRI showed no new lesions, and I'd been feeling really good.

I'd love a little encouragement that I'm just in an energy deficit and still recovering from the Gastritis etc, rather than a full-blown relapse?

Hello Sarahaddison and welcome!

Originally posted by Sarahaddison View Post
    But, here's the big but, that was 5 days ago, 10 days out from the binge drinking and I'm still feeling dizzy.

My fatigue does seem to be decreasing, but because my last relapse (where I couldn't walk) was brought on by very similar circumstances, I'm worried this is another (milder) relapse.
    If binge drinking brought on relapse for you in the past, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that it could happen again.

I'm so annoyed at myself, I was doing really well, was exercising, had lost a lot of weight, my MRI showed no new lesions, and I'd been feeling really good.
    All very good, but what about some help/support for your binge drinking issues? There are free resources out there.

I'd love a little encouragement that I'm just in an energy deficit and still recovering from the Gastritis etc, rather than a full-blown relapse?
    You need your doctor or neurologist to make that assessment for you.

Hopefully this experience will inspire you to make a commitment to take the utmost care of yourself.

I'm sure you want to be in the best health possible, for yourself, as well as for your two special needs children.

Wishing you the best and good luck!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks KoKo. I'm feeling a lot better today, even managed to do some exercise. And binge drinking is completely out of character for me. And while I did get drunk around the same time, I'm pretty sure the last relapse I had (18 months ago) was brought on by a combination of a lot of emotional stress, poor management by my dr, and then anaphylactic shock (allergic to steroids) requiring an ambulance ride and a hospital stay. This time around there were a few missing triggers, and I'm pretty sure I've have just been recovering way slower than someone without MS, but I have learned a valuable lesson about healthy coping mechanisms!

Comment

Thanks KoKo. I'm feeling a lot better today, even managed to do some exercise. And binge drinking is completely out of character for me. And while I did get drunk around the same time, I'm pretty sure the last relapse I had (18 months ago) was brought on by a combination of a lot of emotional stress, poor management by my dr, and then anaphylactic shock (allergic to steroids) requiring an ambulance ride and a hospital stay. This time around there were a few missing triggers, and I'm pretty sure I've have just been recovering way slower than someone without MS, but I have learned a valuable lesson about healthy coping mechanisms!
        Hi Sarah

Glad to know that you're feeling better!

Hope you continue to post on the message boards. It can be somewhat therapeutic to share your experiences.

Take Care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks. And great quote by the way. I Googled it. Is it from Randy Armstrong?

Comment

Thanks. And great quote by the way. I Googled it. Is it from Randy Armstrong?
            What quote are you referring to, Sarah?

Comment

Comment

Oh that quote - sorry, I guess I wasn't thinking.

I think It was anonymous when I first saw it long ago.

I'll have to check out Randy Armstrong. Thank you Sarah!

Comment

Working...
                X