Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like my brain doesn't work right anymore!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like my brain doesn't work right anymore!??

Okay, I have been feeling really self conscious and almost stupid lately. My concentration is really bad and I feel like I can't comprehend things that people say sometimes. They say something and I just stare at them because I truely CAN'T understand what they are saying and it could be the stupidest thing but it just doesn't get through.

Then yesterday I was at the drs. and this lady asked me how old I was and right away I said 27, I am not 27, I'll be 30 in a couple of months. I have NO idea why 27 came out my mouth!

Do things like this happen to anyone else or am I going crazy??!! So frustrating!!

I hear you...

Things like this happen to me sometimes too.

I'll be in mid-conversation with someone sometimes and I completely forget what the subject matter is or, if I'm trying to make and defend an argument, what my point is. It's very frustrating and sometimes embarrassing.

I'll be 27 in a couple of months and sometimes I have to seriously think about how old I am right now!

I wish I could offer you some answers for relief but all I can say is: I've been there and I can completely relate!

I've started taking vitamin D and fish oil tablets in an effort to help my body and mind. I haven't noticed much so far, but we'll see.

Anyway, I hope you can take comfort in knowing you're not alone by thinking your brain is broken or not working properly because I have thought the same thing about myself!
    Diagnosed 4/10; Copaxone 10/10 - 8/13
    You win some and you lose some, but that is how you learn. -ALB

Comment

Cog Fog, cognitive fog is normal for me now!

You're not alone in this, many MSers have cog fog. There are a few threads about it but I'm not joking when I say I can't remember where they are. Hmmmm!

I'll look around and post a link when I find it.
      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Cog Fog

For me, this has been one of the hardest things to deal with. Last week I couldn't find the #8 key on my computer. I work with numbers/computers all day long. Sometimes, I know what I want to say..but the words just don't come out. I am not sure if you have experienced this..while typing out an email...my brain and fingers are not on the same wave length. I carefully read through all my emails before I send. I have sent some really strange emails. I am looking into Occupational Therapy to bring the memory issues. You are so not alone...

Comment

I am so glad I am not alone! That does happen to me too with typing. I have to re-read everything I type or write to make sure it makes sense. I tend to freeze a lot in my thinking. It is so frustrating, especially with my job. I am a medical coder so I have to read reports and actually comprehend them...lol

There is a lot of pressure on my at work and sometimes I feel like I'm not qualified anymore.

Comment

You're definitely not alone. I'm generally pretty clever but have a major word swap almost once a day.

It's okay if I catch it myself, but I often find people looking at me like I have two heads because I've said something totally off the wall and wasn't aware of it.
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

oh this has been happening to me a lot lately and it's particularly frustrating because I'm trying to get a job right now and have been just screwing up terribly in the job interviews. Unfortunately, I can't start the interview with, "sorry I may not answer the questions as coherently as you would assume one with my cover letter and resume might have done, but my brain isn't working right now because of ms".

I have been having trouble finishing my sentences and staying focused. Before my diagnosis, I would average 30-45 books a year. Now, I'm lucky if I can get through a book every 3 months. I feel like stress and anxiety and the ms are all feeding into each other.

Comment

Forgot conversation

Last night I asked my 14 yr old daughter a question and she informed me I had already asked her that earlier in the day. I had no recollection, I hate to compare it to drinking too much and not remembering what I did but that is the best I can do to describe. After a few minutes I asked her if we were leaving Best Buy when I asked and she said yes. This was the first time for this kind of memory issue to happen and it scared the heck out of me. I read about this kind of memory loss and that if I am prompted, I will most likely than remember. I was Dx because of memory issues in Dec.

Comment

I SAY THE TOTALLY WRONG WORDS SOMETIMES AND I HAVE NO IDEA I'VE SAID IT. MY KIDS HAVE TO CONVIENCE ME THAT I DID INDEED SAY "EXTRA INNINGS" INSTEAD OF "OVERTIME".

MY NERUO SAYS THIS IS TYPICAL FOR MS, HE SAYS WE STORE OUR WORDS OR THOUGHTS IN CATAGORIES, SUCH AS IN THIS CASE, SPORTS. I WASN'T STUTTERING TRYING TO FIND THE WORD, I KNEW IT WAS OVERTIME BUT EXTRA INNINGS CAME OUT OF MY MOUTH BUT MY BRAIN ONLY THOUGHT AND HEARD OVERTIME.

HE SAID THAT OUR BRAIN GOES UP TO GET THE WORD AND IT'S LIKE A SCRATCH ON A DISC, IT MISS-FIRES AND GRABS ANOTHER WORD AND IT COMES OUT OUR MOUTH EVEN THOUGH WE HAD NO THOUGHT OR INTENTION OF ANOTHER WORD.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE IS WHEN I WANTED MY HUSBAND TO GET ME SOME STRAWBERRIES WHEN HE GOT UP, I ASKED HIM TO GET ME A "FUZZYNAVEL" NEVER HEARD MYSELF SAY FUZZYNAVEL I HEARD STRAWBERRIES COME OUT OF MY MOUTH.

I WONDER HOW MANY WRONG WORDS COME OUT WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO POLITE TO SAY "WHAT? I THINK YOU MEANT ____"

BUT THE SCARIEST THING WAS A FEW MONTHS AGO WHEN I WAS DRIVING AND I TURNED THE WRONG WAY AND I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO GET BACK TO WHERE I NEEDED TO GO. VERY WEIRD I WASN'T LOST BECAUSE IT WAS SUCH A FAMILAR AREA BUT I GOT VERY DISORIENTED. I JUST PULLED OVER AND CRIED, BECAUSE IT WAS DURING BUSINESS HOURS AND I WAS GOING TO A MEETING.

WHEN YOU TELL PEOPLE YOU HAVE MEMORY PROBLEMS THEY ALL SAY YEA I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING EITHER BUT THEY DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT, IT'S NOT THE SAME. EVERYONE SEEMS TO THINK THEY ALWAYS HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS I DO. IT BLOWS MY MIND.

SORRY FOR BEING SO LONG WINDED.

Comment

I was just dx last valentines day and can so relate with the cognitive issues. My MRI showed 11 lesions with only 3 active. The doctor asked me if I had every had any symptoms in the past and the only thing I can think of was cog issues.

The attack that I am just getting over the foggy feeling I have had is finally getting better. At its worst I would hear what someone would say and it was like a typewriter in my brain repeating each word. Then it felt like my brain would type out my response and then I could finally say it. It was so exhausting because I had to concentrate so hard on what was being said and I felt so slow. If there was more than one person talking forget it, I couldn't keep up.

Thankfully that is better but my memory is terrible. I can't remember people's names to save my life and my 16 year daughter is always frustrated with me because I forget to do things she asks me or I ask her a question 10 mins after she just answered the same question.

The thought of losing my cognitive ability is terrifying!

Comment

miswording

I did the wrong word scenario today. I was talking to my husband on the phone and he asked if I had gotten lunch and I said yeah, I had my daiquiri... wha??? I did not have a daiquiri, I had my yogurt. ( maybe my brain was wanting a daiquiri, it was subliminally sending me message..lol) I am dealing with cognitive issues and fatigue. I really don't have any physical except for the fatigue. Is there anybody else who deals with only these things?

Comment

My brain is pretty wonky these days too. I am always pulling out the wrong word, and can't remember ANYTHING. Even my son knows better than to try to tell me something that needs to be remembered. He makes me a post it or just handles it himself.

I have also been having these instances where I will kind of jerk back to awareness (I will have no realization of not being in awareness) and not know what I am doing, where I am headed, or what the heck is going on. It takes me a while to figure it all out and is SO embarrassing when there are witnesses! Some older ladies I work with always say "Just wait until you're our age" and all I can think is "Golly I hope I can still walk, talk, feed myself, work, laugh, etc when I am their age."

Comment

This sounds terrible....

but I am glad I found this thread. We should start a club. The Fuzzy Brained Lady Club. My word retrieval is so bad. I feel like I am on low battery or something. I am very organized and functional still, but worried about what's to come.....
                          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Memory and fatigue

I can relate to this- it is so frustrating when I NEED to take a nap during the day because I am just wiped out and can't concentrate. People just don't understand...I also have memory/cognitive issues as the main issue with my MS. I frequently call something green orange and vice versa. That is so embarrassing! I sometimes don't catch it but usually I have to stop and think before I say the color - I feel like a pre-schooler.

Comment

Can Totally Relate

Originally posted by cjohnstone View Post
                              Okay, I have been feeling really self conscious and almost stupid lately. My concentration is really bad and I feel like I can't comprehend things that people say sometimes. They say something and I just stare at them because I truely CAN'T understand what they are saying and it could be the stupidest thing but it just doesn't get through.

Then yesterday I was at the drs. and this lady asked me how old I was and right away I said 27, I am not 27, I'll be 30 in a couple of months. I have NO idea why 27 came out my mouth!

Do things like this happen to anyone else or am I going crazy??!! So frustrating!!
                              Yes, I can unfortunately relate to this! And looks like a lot of others can, too. Having conversations is the worst, especially with intelligent people. Forgetting words and what I was going to say is embarrassing so now I try to be very present and kind of imagine the words I'm going to say before I say them. Sometimes this works but it's a lot of brain effort.

Also, what are you eating? Once I quit dairy and gluten, I found that my brain started working better. I also take Omega 3 supplements. Nuerologists don't like to share this but what you eat really matters a lot!

Comment

Working...
                              X