Strategies for Overcoming Depression - Member Topic fo September 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies for Overcoming Depression - Member Topic fo September 2017

Your Member Topic for the month of September is here!
    You made suggestions and we listened!
    Thanks to all who participated in August's Member Topic of the Month!

Because depression is one of the more common symptoms for people living with MS , our topic for September is about finding strategies for overcoming depression.

Please join us in this important conversation on ways you have used to overcome this. Your thoughts and concerns on this topic are always welcomed.

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more topics from your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! You can add more suggestions here: https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...TH-suggestions!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
    Your Member Topic for the month of September is here!
    You made suggestions and we listened!
    Thanks to all who participated in August's Member Topic of the Month!

Because depression is one of the more common symptoms for people living with MS , our topic for September is about finding strategies for overcoming depression.

Please join us in this important conversation on ways you have used to overcome this. Your thoughts and concerns on this topic are always welcomed.

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more topics from your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! You can add more suggestions here: https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...TH-suggestions!
    Depression hasn't been an issue for me (yet).

For those who struggle with depression, how do you cope with it when it shows up, or how do you overcome it?
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I have had two more serious bouts that required medication and therapy (diagnosis and leaving the workforce), and a few periods where I was probably borderline.

Some things I try to do:
      1. Exercise, eat healthy, and get sleep. Try to get some sun.
      2. Practice Mindfulness
      3. Keep a journal. Also write 3 gratitudes each AM.
      4. Color or some craft.
      5. Have a journal of quotes I keep and add to, so I take that out and read
      6. Avoid the news, darker shows, and social media. Watch comedy or musicals, listen to music.
      7. Talk to family or a good friend
      8. Let myself cry if I need to, but recognize if overwhelming or too often, need to get back with psychiatrist and therapist. May not need meds, but need to figure out what is going on.

Hope other people post some strategies. I am always looking for more ideas. Depression can be brutal. Thanks for a great topic.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
        I have had two more serious bouts that required medication and therapy (diagnosis and leaving the workforce), and a few periods where I was probably borderline.

Some things I try to do:
        1. Exercise, eat healthy, and get sleep. Try to get some sun.
        2. Practice Mindfulness
        3. Keep a journal. Also write 3 gratitudes each AM.
        4. Color or some craft.
        5. Have a journal of quotes I keep and add to, so I take that out and read
        6. Avoid the news, darker shows, and social media. Watch comedy or musicals, listen to music.
        7. Talk to family or a good friend
        8. Let myself cry if I need to, but recognize if overwhelming or too often, need to get back with psychiatrist and therapist. May not need meds, but need to figure out what is going on.

Hope other people post some strategies. I am always looking for more ideas. Depression can be brutal. Thanks for a great topic.
        Kathy this is beautifully wrapped with a bow on top! I can't add much except to echo the value of endorphin release with exercise, whatever type of physical activity someone might be capable of.

It is also my understanding that there are other things in play with regard to increased rates of depression in MS patients other than the fact that we are stuck with this horrifying disease which by itself would be enough to make anyone depressed.

If your non-pharm coping skills aren't effective alone please consider therapy and a medication consult. There are a whole host of SSRIs, SNRIs and atypical antidepressants that can be tried to address depression and anxiety without concerns of addictions.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Thanks Jules. I am fortunate to see a good psychiatrist. He was the first one to tell me that if getting down, to come in and talk and see if need meds again (was on an SSRI) or if I just need some help. I don't want to ever get where I was my second bout which is when I first started to see him.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thankfully, depression usually is not an issue for me. However, I went through one deep depression in 2004.

It was situational and followed an MS flare during which I had to close a daycare in my home. In the past, many of my MS flares had mental illness symptoms, particularly manic issues. The depression was triggered, I believe, by some inappropriate treatment in a mental health facility, which was investigated as possible abuse, defined as "excessive seclusion, excessive medication" and one other thing, I believe.

All I could make myself do, at home, is sit and listen to music on the radio. I'm usually someone who enjoys TV and movies, but, I couldn't even make myself watch anything.

I didn't cook or clean and I spoke to others only when I could not avoid it. I did attend church every Sunday, only because it seemed like it would be too much effort not to because my husband would make an issue of it. But I didn't interact with anyone if I didn't need to.

I had regular appointments with a psychologist and a psychiatrist. After a few months, eventually medication pulled me out of it. The psychiatrist believed that I would need to remain on medication for the rest of my life. I simply told him that I was going off; I could do it with his help or without. He gave me a taper schedule that would take a whole year. I got online and did enough reading that I decided I could go safely off with a 3-month taper, which I did. I have not had any additional depressions or anti-depression meds since then.

Although I don't necessarily advocate going against a doctor's advice, I also believe that one must be their own best advocate. In my situation, I think I made the best decision and my approach worked.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Belly laughed

Last nights Emmy show gave a deep laugh. Steven Cobert does that for me.

Comment

Read this

I know that I'm posting on an old "Member Topic of the Month" thread here. But, it's winter right now and we sometimes get the blues.

One suggestion to combat those blues is to exercise. If you didn't set a New Year's Resolution to do that, just set a February goal instead. Goals can happen at any time of the year. My MS doctor tells me that exercise can help delay progression of MS.

Feel free to join us in The Wellness Room. We post a "Sticky" every week where we self-report on how we did on a goal we set for ourselves the following week. Goals can be number of steps walked, housework, attending an exercise class, doing physical therapy exercises at home, shoveling snow, or whatever moves your body. New members always welcome!
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                X