My left leg isn't working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My left leg isn't working

I have had the fortune of being "normally abled". But I am scared right now. I am hoping someone can chime in with some personal experience.

As stated, I am lucky to be able to do most things. Back in February I went skiing in NY. I am a competent skier and have been skiing for 30 years. I skied for 2 days and all was well. I didn't over do it, took breaks when needed and completely enjoyed myself. Nine days later (Thursday of last week) my left leg was quite stiff. My knee felt very stiff. I stretched. I stretched some more. I had kinesio tape applied. I have NO swelling. My knee does not hurt to press on it. In fact, at first my knee didn't hurt at all. Just my leg was super stiff and so was my knee. Fast-forward to yesterday and today. Yesterday I started to get some pain in the knee. I'm fairly positive the actual pain can be attributed to stress on the knee due to an altered gait from the leg tightness. I definitely wasn't walking correctly. But today I can barely walk. Like, I have to hold on to something - a wall, a chair as I pass by - kind of assistance.

Thoughts? It's been 8 days now since the symptoms started. I don't want to call my neuro if it's something else but I can not, for the life of me, think what else would cause this. I have had NO FALLS as of late ( I fell in August but had x-rays, etc and all was well up until now).

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Truth be told, I am terrified that my leg not working might be linked to a new lesion. Is this a normal progression of "the beginning of the end" as far as altered mobility goes?

ETA: I'm 51 and on no DMTs.

Thank you, in advance for your replies.
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

It is possible that the tightness could be due to spasticity, but it could also be possible that you did tweak something and it is more orthopedic in nature.

I had an issue with my Achilles, but it took months for the tendon to swell and cause any pain. Prior to that, I just had really tight calves and some cramping, but I thought it was due to spasticity since I couldn't recall an injury. Once it swelled and pain began, found out it was micro tears. PT helped, but it wouldn't heal fully and kept swelling. I also needed new orthotics. So surgery it was. And now I an good - just hiked with the dog 4 miles and pain free.

Important thing I learned from PT was that I have to keep all the muscles in leg strengthened. If not, weakness in any muscle alters my gait, which leads to pain. Likewise, I have to stretch all from hips on down.

You can call your Neuro, but you may want to rule out other causes and see your primary or an orthopedist. Either way, they may order PT to see if the tightness resolves and pain dissipates.

As hard as it is, try not to jump ahead thinking this is going to lead to major progression. Hope it resolves for you.

Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hopefully it’s just from some kind of stress from skiing. Try not to jump to the worst possible conclusion… so easy to do when MS is in the mix. Give it some time before you wave the white flag.
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
        It is possible that the tightness could be due to spasticity, but it could also be possible that you did tweak something and it is more orthopedic in nature.
        Thank you for sharing your story about this. I also wondered if it was spasticity that lead to the pull on the tendon. I also wonder if it was because of skiing that I was more stiff than usual (I was pretty stiff). My hubby, a chiropractor, thinks it is patella tendonitis. But it's the chicken and egg thing...did the spasticity cause the pull on the tendons or was it brewing all along? Who knows. I just want it to be better. But now I am afraid of additional spasticity.

"Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
        ~Leonard Cohen

Comment

UPDATE.........

I am updating this in case anyone comes across this post in a search later on. I know that I often search here to see if others have had the same issues.

I saw my neuro. He prescribed Baclofen. The thought is that the increased spasticity of my leg muscles pulled on the tendons of the knee. He's also ordered an urgent MRI. However, in Canada this is about a 3 month wait for an "urgent" MRI.

Anyway, the Baclofen had made a HUGE difference. My knee is still sore from the continued tendon strain but at least now my quad muscle actually flexes.

The point is.......tendon strain can be caused by spasticity.

I'm happy to have an answer and some relief.
          ~Leonard Cohen

Comment

Hey Pistachio!

Originally posted by Pistachio View Post
            I saw my neuro. He prescribed Baclofen. The thought is that the increased spasticity of my leg muscles pulled on the tendons of the knee.
            Originally posted by Pistachio
            Anyway, the Baclofen had made a HUGE difference. My knee is still sore from the continued tendon strain but at least now my quad muscle actually flexes.

The point is.......tendon strain can be caused by spasticity.
            This makes perfect sense, since the tendon connects the muscle to the bone.

Severe muscle spasms (even while a person is at rest) can cause injury as well.

Glad that you now have the Baclofen, and that it's helping with your muscle flexion.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Pistachio View Post
              UPDATE.........

I am updating this in case anyone comes across this post in a search later on. I know that I often search here to see if others have had the same issues.

I saw my neuro. He prescribed Baclofen...

Anyway, the Baclofen had made a HUGE difference...

I'm happy to have an answer and some relief.
              I'm glad for your good news.

- Faith
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X