Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Sleep During Teen Years May Raise Risk of MS

Poor Sleep During Teen Years May Raise Risk of Multiple Sclerosis

Researchers say teenagers who regularly get less than 7 hours of sleep per night have a higher risk of developing multiple sclerosis (MS) as an adult.

They added that teens who generally have poor sleep quality also have a higher MS risk.

Experts say the study is in line with previous research that indicates that sleep and other lifestyle factors are connected to the risk of MS.

Failing to get adequate sleep as a teenager could raise your risk of developing multiple sclerosis (MS) as an adult, a study published today suggests.

The risk of MS was 40% higher among people who reported getting less than 7 hours of sleep between the ages of 15 and 19 compared to those who regularly got 7 to 9 hours of sleep.

Study participants who reported poor sleep quality during the same age range had a 50% increased risk of developing MS.

“Insufficient sleep and low sleep quality during adolescence seem to increase the risk of subsequently developing MS. Sufficient restorative sleep, needed for adequate immune functioning, may thus be another preventive factor against MS,” according to Swedish researchers led by Dr. Torbjörn Åkerstedt of Stockholm University.​

Complete article:
    https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...iple-sclerosis

Interesting! Little sleep (lots of late night studying/cramming for tests} and getting Mono in my late teen years created the perfect storm for me.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Same Seasha. Between studying, sports, clubs, friends, volunteering, and working part time some of the years, rare to get 7 hours. Mono at 19 here too!

I can only imagine now how much worse it is because of smartphones. My sister-in-law started taking her teenage daughters phones at 10:30 during the school week and curfew on the weekends. They thought she was so mean for doing it, but she was probably very wise. She only did it after warning them and catching them late night still chatting with friends. I will have to let her know she may have helped them tremendously.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X