Who's had COVID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's had COVID?

I am just getting over COVID. Interestingly, I had it rather mild. Mild enough that if my husband hadn't gotten quite ill (fever, chills, etc) I would never even thought to test for it. I was extra tired but, well, I don't think I have to explain to all of YOU why that didn't set off alarm bells. Other than that I had what I would call a very, very mild cold - more of a sniffle, if you will. Anyway, that was my experience with it. Last night I tested again and am now negative.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is to ask a question:

Did anyone have any lingering effects or did it affect your MS in any long-term manner? The only thing I notice is a bit of a shift in my blood sugar. It seems "off" in some way. I've never had blood sugar regulation issues. But, then I wonder if it's because I haven't really been eating as I normally would. Despite not being severely ill I didn't have a big appetite. I've been eating normally for 2 days now but still feel a bit "off" in the blood sugar area.

I am also wondering if this is something that needs to be mentioned at my next neuro appointment in November. I have my next MRI scheduled for end of October.
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

I can't answer your question because I never got Covid. But I find it amazing that I didn't nor did my husband or son. It doesn't seem possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistachio View Post
      I am just getting over COVID. Interestingly, I had it rather mild.

I am also wondering if this is something that needs to be mentioned at my next neuro appointment in November. I have my next MRI scheduled for end of October.
      Sorry you had covid, but glad it was a mild case! My husband just traveled cross country to see his mom who lives in assisted living. The day after he got there she came down with covid and is in isolation for 10 days. He won't even to be able to see her before he has to come back home! BTW, I have never had covid either.

Anyway, I would mention it to your neuro - especially if you are having lingering symptoms.
      Stay well
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good to hear you're testing negative now, and had a mild case.

Haven't had covid yet, at least that know of. But it's possible all four members my family had it before the first cases were reported here. It was later found in blood samples in my state late December, 2019. https://www.redcross.org/about-us/ne...in-the-us.html Whatever it was, we all came down with it within several hours of each other, and felt miserable. We were a sad sight to see, and it definitely wasn't something we had on the agenda while son was home with us from college.

We all had some symptoms that were the same, and few that were different. My daughter and I were hit the hardest, and it lasted the longest for me. What made it hardest on me was my fever with heat intolerance, and constant cough. Dr. did a flu test, but came back negative. Still prescribed Tamiflu, because said there were so many strains, it didn't always show up with their test.

We came down with it after a get together with my husband's family. Several other family members also got sick right afterwards. The one who started feeling sick later that day had recently traveled overseas for work. It just seemed so wierd how most the family got it.

My brother-in-law tested positive a few weeks ago. Felt tired first, then cold symptoms. Over it now, but said felt like he had a bad cold. No lingering effects that we're aware of. Let us know right away because he was at his at 96 year old mother's house with my husband day before. Thankfully, no one else got it, including his wife.

Sorry to hear your sugar levels are off. This is definitely something you should keep an eye on. I would also mentioned it to your doctors. I hope it normalizes soon.

Here are some links about diabetes from Covid-19

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...d-and-diabetes

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us...es-coronavirus

​​
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha
          My husband just traveled cross country to see his mom who lives in assisted living. The day after he got there she came down with covid and is in isolation for 10 days. He won't even to be able to see her before he has to come back home!
          Sorry to hear about your husband's mom, and that he won't be able to her before he comes back home. That's so sad, for both of them. Hope she's doing ok and feels better soon.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I had covid and as I'm diabetic I have some complications. My blood sugar was so high that I needed to buy victoza online to lower it. Now I'm feeling much better, but I'm still on meds.

Comment

I'm interested in medications people are on and whether they had Covid (then how mild/severe they had it). I am on Mayzent and i have been exposed a bunch of times without ever testing positive (knock on wood-so far). I have had a few minor colds/sniffles but nothing zicam and mucinex hasn't kicked quickly. My husband was very sick last October and again this October but tested negative for everything for days and then my daughter recently had a sinus infections but again, lots of exposure of covid with never testing positive. Maybe some of the DMT's are a vaccine in their own right or I just have hopeful thinking they are helping in some way that has shielded me
              Either way everyone be safe! This Covid is the most mysterious thing from how it is spread and how it affects differently for everyone!
              Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
              Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

I am just getting over COVID. Interestingly, I had it rather mild. Mild enough that if my husband hadn't gotten quite ill (fever, chills, etc) I would never even thought to test for it. I was extra tired but, well, I don't think I have to explain to all of YOU why that didn't set off alarm bells. Other than that I had what I would call a very, very mild cold - more of a sniffle, if you will. Anyway, that was my experience with it. Last night I tested again and am now negative.
                Similar to my situation. I had COVID in February. My daughter brought it with her when she moved to Kansas from Canada. My husband caught it first and then me, but my symptoms were also so mild that I would not have tested if I had not known that I was exposed.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is to ask a question:

Did anyone have any lingering effects or did it affect your MS in any long-term manner? The only thing I notice is a bit of a shift in my blood sugar. It seems "off" in some way. I've never had blood sugar regulation issues. But, then I wonder if it's because I haven't really been eating as I normally would. Despite not being severely ill I didn't have a big appetite. I've been eating normally for 2 days now but still feel a bit "off" in the blood sugar area.

No lingering effects for me. Yes; I would mention it to your neuro. I hope that, over time (a short time preferably), your lingering effects disappear.

~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

My husband tested positive yesterday but amazingly I did not. He has a terrible cough but doesn't seem to be too sick. I hope he doesn't get worse. Fortunately we were pretty well stocked with groceries and it's cold and rainy here so quarantine won't be so bad.

Comment

Well I guess you could say that I have been lucky. I haven't had COVID-19. My stepmom had it twice, dad and daughter once, then wife and stepdaughter once. I don't live with stepmom and dad, my daughter does. I live with my wife and stepdaughter and I was living in the house with them when they had it. I didn't want to but did get the vaccine and boosters.

Comment

Well, a week after my husband tested positive I did too. I was sicker than he was with a slight fever, nausea and extreme exhaustion. I am well now so much so that I could take a short road trip with my son. I am grateful Covid was not too bad and I am grateful that I can still go places with my son.

Comment

Thanks for keeping this thread updated. FWIW, I've never been to NYC and it's always been on my "To Do List" and my friend is from there but I have been hesitant to travel there as COVID is VERY HIGH THERE. What do you all recommend? I thought maybe go in late March (around my 56th birthday) in hopes that maybe things are a bit warmer so we could actually eat or sit outside more with our hot coffees?

Thanks, in advance, for sharing your thoughts. Traveling during this pandemic? But, with it ever end?
                        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

As long as you are very careful I think you could go. Sit outside when the weather permits, always wear a mask when you aren't eating or drinking and try to stay out of crowded places. I hope you can have a safe and happy trip!

Comment

I haven't done much traveling since things opened up after COVID but what I know to be true from working in the ED and on medical units throughout the pandemic is that masks work if worn religiously and properly.

For me any future airline encounters will include surge mask until boarding then its on with the N95. Keep in mind the virus doesn't skip by because you have your mask off to eat so consider your risk threshold and make appropriate accommodations or not depending on your comfort level.

We mostly do carryout now but restaurants with outside dining would be ideal or inside in places with some distance between tables.
                            NYC is so awesome and hopefully the winter virus burst will be resolved by spring, enjoy!
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                            Anonymous

Comment

Late March could still be a little chilly for eating outside and the flu could still be around. If possible,you might want to wait a few weeks or months.

We were there in early October and stayed outside most of the time. We did see a concert at the garden, but masked up. Likewise, when riding the subway, we did too. Depending on the streets/avenues you are on, they could of be crowded too. So we masked up outside too!

I hope you get to take your trip. Love NYC as well.
                              Kathy
                              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                              X