Hot flashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot flashes

I'm curious about other people's experience with MS hot flashes. I get these but really only at night. I also don't sweat with these flashes. I wake up very hot. My skin is on fire (hubby comments on how hot it is).

I am also 50 and female so now I have the compounding question about whether or not they're typically hormonal hot flashes or MS hot flashes. My reading on the subject says hormonal flashes are only upper chest, face and neck with sweating. But, as I said, these are whole body with no sweating.

Can anyone chime in, here?
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Hi Pistachio.

I have never had "MS hot flashes," I have had hormonal "hot Flashes." I no longer perspire so I would suddenly get over-heated with no way to cool down or in other words I felt like I could self-combust. This link might offer some help in non-hormonal hot flashes.
    Multiple Sclerosis Foundation - Coping with Paroxysmal Symptoms (msfocusmagazine.org)
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I get hormonal hot flashes only at night. I use to get them every night it seems and then I told my OB/GYN and she said, “why didn’t’t you tell me?” Once she knew she offered a bio identical pellets, which I get every 4 months. No more hot flashes. So, ask your Gynecologist what would be best for you. I do pellets because they work great for me, only have to go 3 times a year, and lower chance of breast cancer. They do cost some bucks. I pay $250.00 every visit. Pellets aren’t covered by insurance (for women). I sent in a load of studies and paper work to my insurance company, because it RIDICULOUS! I lost the claim, but I did try.
      Men can get the pellets for testosterone and they are covered! Here we go again as women- ugh, don’t get me started!
      There are patches and creams and pills. Hope you figure out what is causing your bodies heat wave! Trying to keep a sense of humor, you can always open the freezer and stick your head in for a minute. I’ve been there!

Comment

I have been having hot flashes for years. I couldn't take estrogen because I had breast cancer. I have been wondering why the hot flashes never stopped after so long so now I believe it is the MS. Thank you for the article!!

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          Hi Pistachio.

I have never had "MS hot flashes," I have had hormonal "hot Flashes." I no longer perspire so I would suddenly get over-heated with no way to cool down or in other words I felt like I could self-combust. This link might offer some help in non-hormonal hot flashes.
          Multiple Sclerosis Foundation - Coping with Paroxysmal Symptoms (msfocusmagazine.org)
          Thank you. You said you no longer perspire. Why is that?

"Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
          ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Pistachio View Post
            You said you no longer perspire. Why is that?
            The cause is believed to be due to damage to the parts of the nervous system that regulates body temperature.

Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

This Link might be helpful:
              Thermoregulation: Types, how it works, and disorders (medicalnewstoday.com)
              Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                Thanks Snoopy. I have this problem. I can get over heated with non-hormonal hot flashes for a couple hours and then go to feeling really chilled. It has nothing to do with my activity level or house or outdoor temps. It comes on randomly. I got tested twice for thyroid imbalances and both were in the normal range. I have to wear layers - peel clothes off and sit in front of a fan to having to put on a sweater. So annoying! I have never been able to sweat - even when I was young as a child.

And Pistachio- when I was having menopausal hot flashes I found that taking black cohosh really helped!! I got an OTC pills called Remifemin (contains black cohosh) at the drug store. My flashes were fewer and less severe.
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X