Ever had IV Solumedrol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever had IV Solumedrol?

Hi, it's been a long time since I've been here. I've been a member for a long time, though...shocked and happy to see there are 225,000+ members now! When I joined there were 10,000 and I learned so much here.

Well, today I am here to find out what to expect. My neuro has ordered a round of IV Solumedrol,1000 mg 5 days consecutively. Last week was my annual MS monitor MRI and I am in a flare. Balance issues and foot drop. DR called me and canceled my appt for friday afternoon and changed it til next week so I can get the steroids. I've always been a nervous medication taker and I take plenty. This one is new for me and I will be working all week and we are having house guests! I'm kinda freaking out. I've been diagnosed with RRMS for nearly 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice/experience sharing.

Melissa

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

IVSM is like steroids on steroids. Working and having houseguests is a perfect time to do it. You will be able to come home from work and cook a 5 course meal and then go to a nightclub afterwards and then take your guests to Disneyland. It gives you so much energy you will feel great.

You will feel an almost immediate reversal of your flare. It’s like a vacation from MS.

I, personally, had some trouble with it because I have a naturally hyper system. By about the 4th day the steroids built up in my system so much that I couldn’t sleep which kind of made my MS symptoms worse. But, anyone who is sleepy all the time will be in heaven.

I hope it helps you recover from your flare.

Comment

I have had multiple rounds during the first 5 years of diagnosis. As palmtree said, it gives you energy and helped end my flares quickly.

I worked thru some of the flares, others I could not. Since I had an IV line in, I placed saran wrap and an ace bandage around it to protect it. I also wore long sleeves to hide it, since I had not disclosed my MS.

Some side effects: a red face often referred to as a steroid flush, made me sweat some, increased appetite, insomnia, and increased anxiety. I would sleep an hour a night days 3-5, and took weeks to be able to keep normally. I also would get weepy after the steroids were done, but think it was from lack of sleep! Ask your Neuro if there is something you can take if anxiety and insomnia cause problems.

Hopefully you have minimal side effects, but if you do experience them, just know it is normal.

Lots of luck with your treatment and hope you enjoy your company.

Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Oh my -- so many times between 2002-2010. Yeah; it's like steroids on steroids.

Terrible side effects, but ... , when I needed it, I needed it. Got me out of my fjares after a few weeks on them.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

The day I was diagnosed my neuro ordered a home nurse to come out and start the infusion. That put me on the fast track to treatment. Guess it worked. Hope this helps you quickly.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I've had three rounds of it many years ago, then started LDN been on it for 16 yrs with no more flares. Drs now have told me I have osteoporosis due to Solumedrol. Now I have to take Prolia for it.

Comment

I'm had 3 infusions years ago. But I never had any energy. I had anxiety and sleeplessness. It always took me about two weeks to start feeling better. Each time it helped my flare. I hope you are one that has all the energy.
              Wish you all the best
              God Bless Us All

Comment

It's nice to hear that it has benefited others, but I have a different story to tell.

I had 5 day course many years ago. Whereas I had lots of energy like others, by the end of the 5th day, I had such extreme anxiety to the point that I thought I was having a heart attack! My dh took me out to dinner to celebrate and we had to leave mid meal and I could hardly make it out to the car. He made an immediate call to my Dr who prescribed Valium to calm things down. I lay in bed for days unable to do anything. Finally, things calmed down, but it did not help my symptom of optic neuritis. It had to run its course.

Just my story. I hope you do well. Let us know how it goes.
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Day 1, I was high as a kite. Day 3, I was weepy and maudlin. Day 7 (2 days after the infusion ended), I was so sick I was sure I was dying. In spite of all that, I would gladly go through it again. It was my first time, and it stopped the relapse in its tracks. Considering that the 2 relapses before that had lasted in excess of 18 months each, I can deal with a single rough week!

Comment

I had Solumedrol infusions in April after super vertigo spin out. I needed Ambien to sleep at all. Felt like total crud after for about a week. My biggest symptom was dizziness and vertigo with headache, these weren’t helped by the steroids. I had a bunch of other symptoms, Spasticity, numbness in in hands and legs that did get better after a week. It will make you have metallic taste in your mouth, so take some mints. And request a sleep aid like Ambien, or whatever will knock you out. Just my opinion. I HATE Ambien and only took it 5 nights, but it was better than starring at the ceiling all night.
                    Hope this helps you and that you feel good after.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!
                      I'm on day 5 today (my last infusion) and wow, yes, steroids on steroids. I'm 50 and I've felt 25! Ha. I'm still waiting for the other foot to drop (no pun intended). Can't imagine that I'm in for a big crash. But my house is clean and the refrigerator is stocked.

The infusions have been at home, with a home health nurse coming in each day. I've had to have a new IV started/put in each day because the nurse had forgotten that we need to flush with heparin at the end! Thank goodness he's a good stick and it hasn't hurt, but I've been terribly disappointed each day when he discovers the line is blocked.

Thanks for the responses. It really is about moral support and knowing I'm not alone.
                      Melissa (MissyB)

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Comment

Always good to hear that things are good up to this point, excepting the new IV each day. Ugh. I hope you don't suffer with the big crash and hoping too it addresses your flare quickly!
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good morning
                          When i was diagnosed and in a flare i had three days of it. I did it first thing in the morning then went to work. They told me i would have a lot of energy and would be running a marathon by day 3 but i personally was tired by the time i got home from work. I didn't sleep well but i wasn't up and about with energy. By day three i was over it as i did start get very touchy toward other people so i stayed away from people It did immediately end my flare though which i was thankful for!
                          Best of luck!
                          Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
                          Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Hi missyb. Just wondering how you are feeling and how the IV Solumedrol went for you. Truly hope you were able to get some relief.
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                            X