Smoking Linked to Worse Outcomes in RRMS Patients After 10 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Linked to Worse Outcomes in RRMS Patients After 10 Years

Smoking is associated with lower brain volume, more brain lesions, and greater disability and attention deficits among people with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) after 10 years, according to a study in Norway.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ple-sclerosis/

I guess the expression “ go smoke your brains out ! “ means exactly that !
    I’ve heard that a lot over my 53 year old smoking habit.
    And often wondered if it triggered my MS. ?
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

I loved smoking, had stopped prior to my diagnosis and started again as soon as I left the neuro's office with the shocking news that I had MS. However even 17 years ago when I was diagnosed the research was fairly solid that smoking could be considered as having a negative outcome in MS prognosis so I stopped after a couple of months. I joke that if there is ever a solid RCT indicating smoking isn't awful for us I will look like Susie Campfire lighting up double fisted, lol.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I stopped smoking for 10 years, and honestly I had a lot more pain and unsteadiness without the cigarettes as I'd had with them. I do wish I hadn't started up again, but that has nothing to do with my MS. I was the same way with coffee. Stopped all caffeine (except for random chocolate!) for quite a few years, but I've felt so much better since starting it again. I'm not dissing the Norwegian study at all. We discovered when my daughter developed Juvenile Diabetes that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. That girl can eat an entire box of Twinkies and never see a change in her blood sugar, but give her a single shrimp and it skyrockets!

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          I loved smoking, had stopped prior to my diagnosis and started again as soon as I left the neuro's office with the shocking news that I had MS. However even 17 years ago when I was diagnosed the research was fairly solid that smoking could be considered as having a negative outcome in MS prognosis so I stopped after a couple of months. I joke that if there is ever a solid RCT indicating smoking isn't awful for us I will look like Susie Campfire lighting up double fisted, lol.

Only an ex-smoker can clearly see the picture you paint. That's me! Thanks for the smile Jules!

Comment

Ex-smoker here too. I'm glad I quit that disgusting filthy habit years ago, but always wondered if that had a correlation for triggering my MS. Like you, Jules, after my dx I went out a bought a pack (my go-to place when facing stress.)

But it didn't last long. If I smell smoke now, it makes me gag.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by NoraS View Post
              I stopped smoking for 10 years, and honestly I had a lot more pain and unsteadiness without the cigarettes as I'd had with them. I do wish I hadn't started up again, but that has nothing to do with my MS.
              I feel better with a little nicotine as well. I like to chew a 2mg piece of nicotine gum for a boost.

Found these articles interesting.

Nicotine and Beta-amyloid Work on Immune System in Ways That Ease MS Symptoms, Study Reports

Nicotine, the active agent in tobacco, and amyloid proteins, which underlie Alzheimer’s disease, bind to a receptor present in certain immune cells and work to lessen inflammation, a study reports. Activating this receptor — called the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor — was seen to ease multiple sclerosis (MS) progression in a mouse model of the disease.

MS Symptoms Eased by Way Nicotine and Beta-amyloid Work on Immune System, Study Reports (multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com)

MS Society-funded study shows that nicotine reduces the invasion of harmful immune cells into the brain in mice with an MS-like disease

MS Society-funded study shows that nicotine reduces the invasion of harmful immune cells into the brain in mice with an MS-like disease — MS Society of Canada

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
              X