MS and Sleep Disorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Sleep Disorders

At least half of people with MS have sleep disorders. Here’s how to catch more Z’s if you’re one of them.

Multiple sclerosis can be exhausting. Literally. In fact, fatigue is the most common symptom of MS, according to the Cleveland Clinic, which says fatigue occurs in as many as 95% of people with MS.

https://momentummagazineonline.com/m...eep-disorders/

Printing this right now. Thanks.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Ok, I just read the article. I was hoping for a little bit more, but I did learn a few things. I've had Insomnia since the late '80's. My way of describing it is.... TORTURE!!. I've tried absolutely every med, supplement, gadget and advice with no results. Now I turn the tv on in my room and just let it drone on and eventually put me to sleep. At least for an hour or two. I hop from the bed to the couch and back again. I'm convinced that I have a lesion that is placed in exactly the wrong place and controls my sleep (or non-sleep). Some meds help more than anything, but I'd like to get off all the meds. Probably won't work for me. I'd appreciate any other tricks you guys have. Recently my blood pressure has dropped. No symptoms... a little bit of dizziness sometimes and tiredness, of course. I have fought with the dizzies for years too. Maybe they are related. Thanks again for posting this article. Good luck. Hope you get some sleep!
      Marti

Comment

I have always loved your saying, “the best cure for insomnia is to get more sleep”.

As humorous as that is, I think there is some truth to it.

I have suffered insomnia since I was 10 years old. The thing that helped me the most was a lecture on UCTV many years ago. The lecturer made some very important points.

if I can recall, she talked a lot about the affect light has on sleep. She said if you have to get up in the night don’t turn the light on. If you have to get up keep your eyes closed as much as possible.
        Another point that I thought was really useful was what to do if you wake up in the night. She asked, “if you wake up in the middle of the night what is the first thing you do?” Everyone answered, “go into the bathroom”.

That answer is wrong. The first thing we do when we wake up in the night is we look at te clock. As soon as we look at the clock we’ve woken ourselves up. She said that if we wake up in the night we should keep our eyes closed.

Of course, this is only helpful for middle of the night wake ups. I have almost every kind of insomnia. Can’t get to sleep, can’t stay asleep and I wake up early.

But these little tips have come in handy.

Comment

I am even questioning that the “state” of sleep that I get is even right ?
          I sure don’t wake up feeling rejuvenated.
          I think it is a leasion on that part of the brain.
          It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thanks for the article Marco. Use to get this magazine but lost it when I moved. Nothing here that isn't logical.

I never had sleep problems until around 2012 or so.... 4 years dx'd with MS, but also 62 yo. Everyone has read about less sleep gotten or needed as we age so I really don't know but will still point the finger at MS.

My biggest problem is not realizing I am tired? Lately when KoKo suggested naps, I began after gym, I'd get some protein, put on clean sweats, lay down without feeling any need to! and often drop into sleep (after 5 - 10 minutes) for 20 - 50 minutes!

At bedtime, which is always the same time give or take, it is anyones guess as to when sleep comes but you can be assured of 3 hours then catch what you can the remainder of the night.

Do others feel fatigue without feeling tired or the need for sleep?

Comment

I can say a profound yes to that question. When I am tired my neurological function deteriorates really quickly. I won’t get better until I have good long nap.

Even though my body is tired I am still running around. Too many hours awake that are not quality hours.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
                I am even questioning that the “state” of sleep that I get is even right ?
                I sure don’t wake up feeling rejuvenated.
                I think it is a leasion on that part of the brain.
                I totally agree with you. For me, this has been going on way too long to be anything else. And it is getting worse. Used to be that sleep meds used to work well. Now they barely put me to sleep anymore and I'm beginning to wake up several times if and when I actually do get to sleep.
                Marti

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  Thanks for the article Marco. Use to get this magazine but lost it when I moved. Nothing here that isn't logical.

I never had sleep problems until around 2012 or so.... 4 years dx'd with MS, but also 62 yo. Everyone has read about less sleep gotten or needed as we age so I really don't know but will still point the finger at MS.

My biggest problem is not realizing I am tired? Lately when KoKo suggested naps, I began after gym, I'd get some protein, put on clean sweats, lay down without feeling any need to! and often drop into sleep (after 5 - 10 minutes) for 20 - 50 minutes!

At bedtime, which is always the same time give or take, it is anyones guess as to when sleep comes but you can be assured of 3 hours then catch what you can the remainder of the night.

Do others feel fatigue without feeling tired or the need for sleep?

I get this way lately. Never did before, but now I can be wide awake, without tiredness, but still feel the need for sleep.
                  Marti

Comment

Sounds like humans tend to have insomnia in large numbers 10-30% and even higher for females, older adults and those with medical and mental health comorbidities. Revisiting what palmtree noted I think there are even specially tinted glasses people can wear to assist with blocking out the wake producing light.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...20ill%20health.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    Anonymous

Comment

Wanted to add CBT-I seems to be helpful according to the research.

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medic...-insomnia.html
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                      X