How is the heat affecting you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the heat affecting you?

It's summer again and that means heat and too much sunshine. I'd like to hear how some of you are affected by the heat. What kind of physical changes are you noticing? Do you feel almost sick or worn out from all the mugginess?

Personally, I just feel kind of out of it and discombobulated some days. But, I have been working outside more than I should. Sometimes the top of my head hurts after being out.

Hope you are all handling this earlier-than-usual summer heat ok. I guess it's Summertime, so we should expect it.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I'm grateful that the heat has never affected my MS, or created symptoms. I don't like the heat, but I'm really not out in it very much. During my daughter's competitive swimming years (1198-2008), we used to be in the heat a lot, both for summer outdoor swim meets, and even in the hot humid indoor pools the rest of the year. I was always so glad that I could tolerate that, even with my MS.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Heat does get to me. It increases the symptoms I have permanently (arm pain and numbness, fatigue) and also brings back some other symptoms (dizziness, cog fog, blurry vision, balance issues). Once I cool down, I seem to revert back to my baseline, but the fatigue does linger.

Humidity is brutal for me. I inherited the sweat gene, so I sweat in humid conditions. I have water always in hand to stay hydrated. And yes, humidity can make me feel nauseous.

Hoping not too bad a summer, but looks like me might be in for a hot one.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Fatigue in every cell of my body. So far have gotten by without AC this year but that may be over soon.

Comment

I spoke too soon. It’s going to be 94 today. Air conditioner is on.

Comment

I wish someone would share a little of the heat that most of you are experiencing. We are having the coolest, wettest spring and I'm so sick of it. We've only had a handful of temps above 70 degrees all spring. I know it will eventually get hot here and this year I'm prepared. My kids all pitched in and bought us a small room AC, so at least I'll have one room to hang out in. We don't have a house AC.

My legs turned to wet noodles and fatigue is unbelievable when it gets hot.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I don’t think I live too far from you and it has indeed been a cool spring.

we are having rain right now but the weather prediction says no more cool weather. Summer is upon us.

It’s hard to understand when people say they can’t wait for summer. I moved far away to get away from the heat of the pacific southwest.

it’s been heaven up here.

Comment

While I live in Canada we still get some pretty hot days. I'm smack-dab in the middle of the Great Lakes region so humidity is also a factor. As a matter of fact, last week we had a couple of days that felt like 38-40 degrees celcius. That's about 102-106 F. However, I prefer a hot day to a brutally cold day. Unless I'm working hard outside on a hot day I'm fine. I'm fine to sit in the shade and read. However, I don't do well in the blazing sun.

I actually find those really cold winter days to be worse. My muscles tense up and spasm when really cold. I'll take a hot day over a cold day! I'm one of the "weird" ones, I guess.
                "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
                ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

Heat, high humidity, and dew points over 60 all affect my ability to function.

Extreme weakness to the point of immobility of my arms and legs can happen if I don't get relief.

Double vision and slowed cognition also can happen if I don't get cooled down quickly.

I stay indoors most of the time, with a good air conditioner (that has a remote control ).
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I'm having more HUG than usual. Every breath comes with effort. A little more dizziness too. But I've actually been able to force myself to take care of the chores a little better. I pay for it, but I'm getting things done slowly. We haven't had rain in about 15 days and this whole week is supposed to be high 90's. No rain in sight. I'm noticing weakness too. And some leg cramping. Can't win, can we?
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I mostly stay out of the heat but when I am in the heat I will get fatigued but not that much. Thank the Lord..
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                      X