X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)

Hi all,

This post is just for people's info in case there are interested -

A 20 year longitudinal study involving more than 10 million adults on active duty in the US military has shown there is a 32 fold increase of MS after infection with Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV).

This was published in the journal 'Science' yesterday.

Even though EBV as a trigger has been speculated for many years, the researchers said a major stumbling block is that it can be hard to find people before they get infected and track them over time to see if they develop MS, and to compare their risk to people who don’t catch the virus. This new study has done exactly that.

Thanks for sharing this info with us, sing a long.

A similar article from Scientific American journal:

Epstein-Barr Virus Found to Trigger Multiple Sclerosis - Scientific American

PPMS for 24 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I know I qualify, mono at 19.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I haven't ever had EBV but did have a lot of strep due to tonsillitis which could possibly trigger weird autoimmune things?
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Hi JulesA,

Were you ever tested for EBV?

I once got blood test results which showed that I had PREVIOUSLY had glandular fever / infectious mononucleosis/ EBV (even though it was "asymptomatic" and I didn't realise until after I got the test results)

Comment

Originally posted by sing_a_long View Post
            Hi JulesA,

Were you ever tested for EBV?

I once got blood test results which showed that I had PREVIOUSLY had glandular fever / infectious mononucleosis/ EBV (even though it was "asymptomatic" and I didn't realise until after I got the test results)
            Hmmm no I haven't. Interesting, I will ask my neuro if any benefit. Thanks!
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X