Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise

Haven't been here in a while, but my question is how do you get your heart rate up when it is so hard to exercises. I'm 75 years old and have MS for 26 years. I still try to keep moving and use a walker. Just don't know what else to do, not ready to give up

Welcome msnana!

I find that I have the same concerns. I'm in my 70's, use a walker and there's not much I do to get my heart rate up anymore. I use to go to the municipal pool where they had exercise class for seniors. They had a special chair lift platform for people who couldn't climb the stairs and I'd use that. Exercising in the pool always got my heart rate up. I stopped going when I moved to the country and it got to difficult to travel the distance.

I also went to an exercise class for MS and others with mobility issues. Most people used a chair to hold onto. The movements were designed to get that heart pumping! I had to stop for the same reasons.

I'd call around and see what your community has to offer. I hope you find something that fits your needs!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi msnana!

Originally posted by msnana View Post
      Haven't been here in a while, but my question is how do you get your heart rate up when it is so hard to exercises. I'm 75 years old and have MS for 26 years. I still try to keep moving and use a walker. Just don't know what else to do, not ready to give up
      If you are able to use your arms, you can increase your heart rate.

This info is from the MS Trust website:

"Short can be sweet!

Just a minute of arm jogging with a bit of gusto will improve your heart rate and get you breathing deeper. There is growing evidence to show that doing short bursts of exercise, rather than one great long burst, will improve fitness. For people with MS, when fatigue and heat can be a factor, exercising like this can really help."

Very helpful info:

Top tips for staying active when you have MS | MS Trust

Build your own exercise routine | MS Trust

Originally posted by msnana View Post
      Just don't know what else to do, not ready to give up
      Good for you, msnana!

When you find some exercises that are doable for you, make some goals and come join us in the Wellness Room Forum for the weekly Goalposters Exercise Check-in.

We would love to have you!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I'm 59. I also attend classes for seniors, but I need to modify them by doing more seated than standing. I think even moving my arms and legs while seared gets hearr eate uo.

I agree with Koko. Please join us in our weekly exercise thresd. It's a great place to ask your exercise questions. And we set our own goals. We, alone, decide if we accomplished our goals.

Some weeks, my goal is as simple as "track what I do for exercise". Sometimes it's how many group classes I attend, or how many steps I walk.

Some people include gardening or babysitting in exercise goals.

Whatever you do that involves moving your body can be considered exercise.

We encourage. We don't judge. We're a small group but we always welcome new posters.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I have the opposite thing going on. The least activity seems to raise my h/r quickly. But, it does come back down fairly fast too. I can feel my heart beating harder when I am active.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I am trying to think of some exercises that might help. Can you do wall push ups? You could set the walker aside and let the wall keep you up. I am 68 and am in the same position.

i was really fortunate that my family bought me an Eva Walker. It is so cool because it holds you up by your forearms. It has very versatile wheels so you can go anywhere. I wish you could have one,too. The main advantage to it is that you can walk more freely. I have heard and really believe that walking is one of the best exercises. I had to walk through the hospital to get my Tysabri.

There are other exercises that you can do lying down that can strengthen a lot of muscles and, in my experience, my heart will start pumping.

i hope you can find a good solution, something that feels good and keeps you strong.

Comment

Thank you all so much, the arm exercises sounds good to me and I will do them. I like to garden but using a walker or a cane is a little difficult, always afraid I will fall and sure don't need that. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X