Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleepingproblems

Hi everyone

I have not been on this for a really long time so I want to ask I can not get comfortable in a bed every night until I take my night time pills. I seems I just can’t get my legs in a comfortable to settle down and I take ambien as one of my night pills….I do fall asleep every night but going to bed feels like torture….does anyone out there can give me so help to try to figure this out……thank you for listening to me

Sorry to hear diguilio. Little hard to say without a little more background. What type of pills are you referencing? Do you have spasticity in the legs or restless leg syndrome, both of which can cause issues.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

What is the difference between leg spasticity and leg syndrome?

Comment

I have leg spasticity and I do have a Baclofen pump which helps immensely. However, at night, or when I'm in bed, I still need a bolster pillow, or at least a regular pillow or two, under my knees. I noticed that when I went to PT and they would have me lay on a table, they always put a bolster under my legs, and it seemed to help relieve the tightness so I started doing that in bed and it worked to relieve the excess stiffness in my legs allowing me to be comfortable. There is also a wedge system sold for beds and they work to adjust you upper body incline, and it includes a leg bolster with it. Years ago, I bought one of these and I still use it. I think they may have gotten more expensive now, so I'd give the under the knee pillows or boldster pillow first. If you google wedge system for bed, that should bring up wedge sets. Hope you get some relief.

Comment

What is a wedge sets?

Comment

Originally posted by diguilio View Post
            What is a wedge sets?
            Sorry to hear of your problems! Here are a couple links from Amazon showing a wedge set for your bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Angle-Back-Su...eywords=wedge+

The one below is more expensive, but has better reviews from customers-

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Or...garden&sr=1-11
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by diguilio View Post
              What is the difference between leg spasticity and leg syndrome?
              Restless leg syndrome is usually associated with involuntary leg movements when at rest. For me, it manifests at night when trying to fall asleep, my legs will spasm and kick out some. It also can occur after I have been asleep. It is diagnosed via sleep study.

Spasticity, as defined by the NMSS,
              "Spasticity refers to feelings of stiffness and a wide range of involuntary muscle spasms (sustained muscle contractions or sudden movements). It is one of the more common symptoms of MS. Spasticity may be as mild as the feeling of tightness of muscles or may be so severe as to produce painful, uncontrollable spasms of extremities, usually of the legs. "

Here is a link to find out more about spasticity, which your neuro can diagnose via clinical exam: https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...oms/Spasticity

I actually have spasticity as well, but a mild case. It results in calf spasms and cramping and can be quite painful. I do take Baclofen to help manage it, along with alot of stretching.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

Sorry to hear of your problems! Here are a couple links from Amazon showing a wedge set for your bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Angle-Back-Su...eywords=wedge+

The one below is more expensive, but has better reviews from customers-

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Or...garden&sr=1-11
                The links Seasha posted are very similar to what I use, especially the second one. I purchased mine years ago and there were not any places that I found them, other than a Back Store online, and they are more expensive now than when I bought mine. My system uses three pillows so the back rest can be adjusted for a sitting position to a sleeping position. However, the second set seems to accomplish the same thing.

But you can try pillows first. I was able to use pillows under my legs early on, but as my spasticity increased the pillows seem to be inadequate to provide relief.

Comment

What you are describing sounds very familiar to me. When I go to bed my legs are not interested in participating.

My legs hurt, I have restless leg syndrome and there is the spasticity (right muscles). All these things rolled into one on one person’s body. That’s MS. It’s impossible to separate out which is which. It is just like a giant force that won’t let me rest. Lyrica helps with the pain, baclofen the spasticity and currently my RLS is not under control.

You are not alone. MS really attacks the legs.

That is good you have Ambien. The truth is that what would help is not prescribed anymore. Benzodiazepines like Ativan, Valium, Klonopin and Xanax are valuable drugs that have been vilified.

You might get some relief from Kratom if you can stand the taste. Also, if your state allows medical marijuana that can provide some relief.

i hope you find a sweet spot that will help your legs calm down at night.

Comment

Working...
                  X