Christina Applegate has MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christina Applegate has MS

Actress Christina Applegate has announced that she has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

The 49-year-old, known for her roles in "Bad Moms," "Married... with Children" and "Dead to Me," said in a tweetpublished overnight that she was diagnosed "a few months ago."

"It's been a strange journey. But I have been so supported by people that I know who also have this condition," wrote Applegate. "It's been a tough road. But as we all know, the road keeps going. Unless some ******* blocks it."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/10/enter...ntl/index.html

It's really sad to hear. I really like her acting in Dead to Me. I hope she gets the best treatment.

Comment

This is stunning news , She is a beautiful and talented actress , I pray that she receives the best treatments available .

Comment

I giver her credit going public early in the diagnosis. I can only imagine how hard it will be to go thru the stages of grief in the public eye. I wish her all the best and hope she follows the science in getting care.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I also think she's a great actress, applaud her for being open about her diagnosis and hope she does well.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Again my hat is off to her for continuing to bring awareness to MS. She and Selma are on the short list of things I'm thankful for this year.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

It is sad but there is a silver lining. Whenever a celebrity gets diagnosed it creates more awareness. I remember before Michael J Fox got Parkinson’s, these progressive neurological illnesses were in the closet.

of course, with MS, our illnesses are all so different in symptoms and severity depending on the size and location of plaques. The public gets an image of what our symptoms should be from the celebrity, and doesn’t understand when they are different.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                It is sad but there is a silver lining. Whenever a celebrity gets diagnosed it creates more awareness. I remember before Michael J Fox got Parkinson’s, these progressive neurological illnesses were in the closet.

of course, with MS, our illnesses are all so different in symptoms and severity depending on the size and location of plaques. The public gets an image of what our symptoms should be from the celebrity, and doesn’t understand when they are different.
                Agreed. I, too, fear they'll see Selma dancing away and the take-away will be that PwMS aren't really too bad off. Sort of a, "Stop whining. Obviously if you can dance you're fine". While I applaud them for their transparency I still think the general public has no idea of the broad range of (dis)ability this disease causes. What I would like to see is a campaign that shows everyone from those bed-bound to those who seem normal. Then, perhaps the public would better understand.
                "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
                ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Pistachio View Post

While I applaud them for their transparency I still think the general public has no idea of the broad range of (dis)ability this disease causes. What I would like to see is a campaign that shows everyone from those bed-bound to those who seem normal. Then, perhaps the public would better understand.
                  I agree, especially for those who have"invisible" symptoms! They too are greatly affected.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It seems that when their symptoms create challenges in their professional lives celebrities often go into retirement and quietly go away. Very few are brave enough to show the devastating affects of neurological disease as Michael J Fox did. But some of that may well be the public’s fault. We don’t like to see imperfection.
                    Paula

Comment

Originally posted by Pistachio View Post
                      What I would like to see is a campaign that shows everyone from those bed-bound to those who seem normal. Then, perhaps the public would better understand.
                      This is an excellent idea. While the medications have done wonders for the overall prognosis of MS there is still a huge range of variance.
                      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                      X