Graston Technique - PT Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graston Technique - PT Experience?

Not MS related, but general question. Has anyone ever undergone PT using the Graston Technique (scraping with a metal tool)? I have to do this on my Achilles Tendon, hoping to avoid surgery.

Both my Orthopedist and my normal PT group told me it is quite painful. I have to go a different PT group, as you have to be certified in that technique and my PT told me they aren't, as the tolerance rate for it by patients is 1%. I did speak to someone else certified in the procedure, but too far for me to go to. She said it was moderately painful as it is no longer practiced as aggressively as it was in the past.

Has anyone ever been treated this way? What was your experience if you don't mind sharing? Was it just painful during PT or also after, and after, for how long? I get evaluated late next week, but find myself really nervous about it.

On a side note, it is used to try and break up scar tissue/lesions - if doing it on my brain or spinal cord would work for MS, regardless of pain, I would be first in line! Thanks
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

I do not have personal experience with something like this but is sounds barbaric. I would stick with your instincts. There is probably a reason that is is no longer widely practiced.

Since pain is no longer treated on this planet I sure wouldn’t sign up for potential long term pain. The human race has decided that abolishing pain medication will cure all disease, reverse climate change and stop all wars.

Maybe someone else has experience with the Graston technique.

Comment

Thanks palmtree. I did find some articles that said the first couple are more painful, but after that, not bad. I am feeling better about it, know that I shouldn't plan anything after, just prepared to ice it off and on. I will just have to remind myself that I am doing it to get out of the boot and to avoid Achilles tendon surgery. Need to keep the motivation front and center!!
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X