sleep paralysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleep paralysis

Has anyone ever experienced sleep paralysis? Not sure if this is a MS thing, but it's really strange. I had another one of these "dreams" this morning where I couldn't wake up or get the blanket off of me. Sam appeared in this one and a little dog. I fought to get up... my eyes were open part of the time and I was actually awake or conscience. When I finally came around I had tears coming down my face.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I am sorry this happens to you, Marti ! I haven't had that happen to me but it sounds terrible.

Comment

I am so sorry you experienced this. I am one who rarely remembers a dream. I did have one experience, after my father passed (he lived with us 18 months after my mom passed). I dreamt he fell, but when I was trying to get up, I couldn't move. I tried to yell for my husband, but no sound. My mom then came to tell me he was ok. After that, I have no idea how/when I moved and came out of it.

Hopefully you don't experience more dreams like that. It can be comforting to see our loved ones in dreams, but the paralysis is frightening.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Penn, your experience sounds just like mine. I'm not sure if this is sleep paralysis or something else, but it sure makes you feel paralyzed. I've had this about 4 times now. Very uncomfortable.
        Marti

Comment

Hi I don't know about that one but I do know about the paralysis. I'd be stuck where my legs won't work no matter what I do. I have to use one of those leg lift things to get my legs in or out of bed. Then at times when using a blanket I'll be stuck as well. Doesn't matter if it's one of those microfiber ones that are lighter or a regular blanket. Only way I'd be able to get unstuck is to use my Canadian crutch to lift the blanket off of myself. I keep the crutch next to my head to pry myself upright when I have trouble getting up. All in all though that dream is probably something to do with being worried about your MS getting worse. I think a lot of us go through that. Just not a lot of people check in with the forums and take the time to answer.

Comment

Marti, I have experienced this many, many times.

As a matter of fact, I just brought this up to a neuro-psychiatrist that was reviewing my MS symptoms and history. She really didn't have much to say about it. I actually used to experience it a lot after a car accident where I had hit my head when I was about 20 years old. Not too long after that, I start experiencing what I call “waking dreams” as I never heard of sleep paralysis at the time and in 1987 the internet wasn’t around.

Sometimes I would feel “stuck” (paralyzed) and how I got myself out of those situations is I would try to move both of my feet. For some reason, it would wake me up. I only rarely experience sleep paralysis/waking dreams now.

When I do have it, sometimes I'll hear a loud noise or I'll feel/hear a crackling electricity sound. Sometimes I'll just feel awake (even though I’m not) and will see different things like colors, etc.

See the link I attached from Wikipedia - it might shed some light. I do know that sleep paralysis is very disturbing and uncomfortable giving you a panic feeling but if you can remember that you WILL wake up and it will be okay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Comment

Thank you all so much. Always good to get your thoughts on our subjects.
              Marti

Comment

Working...
              X