Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will we see nerve repair and regeneration ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will we see nerve repair and regeneration ?

I have been reading about this subject for a loooong time ! Is there any interest in making this happen, for real, before the next century ?

I still admire your insistence in focusing our resources toward a substantial cure instead these disease modifying drugs that line the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies.
    After the speed in which a Covid vaccine was developed, I’m sure with the same focus MS could be conquered. The technology that was used in the vaccine could be expanded to cure many diseases.

We just need to incentivize the public and raise funds. A cure has never seemed more possible right now.

Comment

Yes. I see more hope than ever after the development of the vaccine.

Comment

I am much more skeptical. Drug companies have more financial incentive to treat MS with drugs long term than to create a cure that will dry up their cash cow.

Just my opinion. Sorry for the downer.

​​​​​
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I try to remain optimistic that it will occur. I had read with mRNA, they do believe they can both prevent MS and reverse damage that has occurred. Will it be one and the same shot, who knows?

​​​If it becomes a true vaccine just like mumps/measles or a flu-like with booster, I think pharmaceuticals could be invented due to the mass distribution potential, where the DMTs are a very limited population of people. Just my thoughts...
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I see more hope than ever after the development of the vaccine.
            I love the fact that both the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines use mRNA technology and they seem to be working just fine. The so-called "MS vaccine" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML700hPtJmI) uses mRNA ideas and has shown to stop an MS-like disease in mice. If that can be done in humans -- a big if -- it would mean no more progression/worsening of the disease. On the thread's topic, fixing/repairing or re-myelinating damaged nerves, there exists a number of drugs which are in development to do re-myelinization -- cool stuff! The bad news is that those drugs are predicted to be 5+ years away before we'll see them. But some good news is that some are recruiting now (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/resul...iple+Sclerosis). When/if we get those re-myelination drug we could see the disease evolve into a game of repairing nerves faster than they're being destroyed.
            59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

Originally posted by Golgotha View Post
              I love the fact that both the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines use mRNA technology and they seem to be working just fine. The so-called "MS vaccine" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML700hPtJmI) uses mRNA ideas and has shown to stop an MS-like disease in mice. If that can be done in humans -- a big if -- it would mean no more progression/worsening of the disease. On the thread's topic, fixing/repairing or re-myelinating damaged nerves, there exists a number of drugs which are in development to do re-myelinization -- cool stuff! The bad news is that those drugs are predicted to be 5+ years away before we'll see them. But some good news is that some are recruiting now (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/resul...iple+Sclerosis). When/if we get those re-myelination drug we could see the disease evolve into a game of repairing nerves faster than they're being destroyed.
              Thank you for sharing the info, Golgotha. Very interesting, and hopeful.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey JerryD!

They're getting closer....

Frequency moving to test agents with remyelination potential

FREQ-162 among compounds that might restore myelin sheath in MS patients

Excerpts from the article:

A new “target relevant to myelination” and compounds that in animal disease models led to “robust remyelination” have been identified, Frequency reported in a company press release. It plans to launch a clinical trial into the remyelination potential of its agents by June 2024.​

“There’s a significant unmet need for therapies that can remyelinate the brain,” Sanjay Magavi, PhD, vice president of myelination research at Frequency, said in a video from the company.

Oligodendrocytes are large cells that arise from immature cells called oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs). Frequency’s MS program aims to develop small molecules that drive OPCs to turn into oligodendrocytes, helping restore the myelin that’s lost to the disease.

These small molecules are being designed to bind to a newly identified but, for now, undisclosed target. To date, preclinical studies showed a single dose of its lead compound, called FREQ-162, triggered the maturation of progenitor cells into oligodendrocytes in mice.

“The Frequency compound induced a profound increase in oligodendrocyte differentiation,” Magavi said. “A single oral dose of FREQ-162 yielded a 23-fold increase” in new oligodendrocytes compared with untreated mice.

In a mouse model of demyelination, these new oligodendrocytes were able to”dramatically increase” the production of new myelin. This was observed both in regions of white matter — which are mainly composed of nerve fibers connecting different brain regions — and gray matter — which is mainly made of nerve cell bodies.

"To the best of our knowledge, no one has published a remyelinating agent with this magnitude of effect. The fact that we saw this robust effect after a single dose is promising and suggests we will only need intermittent dosing to induce significant remyelination,” Magavi said.

The company also announced a corporate restructuring and downsizing program to save costs and to support the proposed MS trial.

Frequency established a clinical advisory board late last year to help move its small molecule candidates into testing in MS patients.
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Does this site have discussion groups? Roxy118

Comment

Originally posted by roxy118 View Post
                    Does this site have discussion groups? Roxy118
                    Hello roxy!

Are you referring to a 'chat-room'?

If so, yes, MSWorld does have a chat-room.

Comment

Yes ! How do I get in. Thanks for responding roxy118

Comment

Hey roxy!

At the top of page, on the black bar, on the right side, you'll see 'chat'.

Click on 'chat' - let us know if you have trouble getting in (if you have trouble, post it on the Technical Support thread).

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X