Happy Canada Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Canada Day!

July 1 is Canada Day. Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians!
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Congratulations! What kind of celebrations are involved? Is it a day-off-work holiday?

Comment

I'm a dual citizen. Born and raised in Canada. But married an American, and I've lived my adult life in the US. Canadian residents might be able to give a clearer answer than mine.

SImilar to the Fourth of July celebrating American independence, Canada Day is a celebration of a united Canada and their independence. They also celebrate with fireworks, etc. Yes; it's a national holiday. They have the day off.

However, I should acknowledge that, this year, because of recent discoveries about some disturbing Canadian history related to past Canadian treatment of indigenous people, Canada Day celebrations might be somewhat dampened this year.
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yes. Mamabug is right. Most all celebrations have been called off.
        Its a holiday and usually the mood is joyful but not this year. We in the fishing industry haven't had Canada day off in the last four years. Just the way quotas and seasons work. I love where I live but it has came with a price. We all learn from our mistakes.
        Maybe this will make us better and stronger and more caring.
        I’m hoping.
        It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
          Most all celebrations have been called off.
          Its a holiday and usually the mood is joyful but not this year.
          I’m hoping.
          Thanks, Oceanpride, for responding.

This is somewhat sad, that many celebrations have been called off. I knew that, personally, some Canadians were choosing not to celebrate, but I wasn't aware of cancellations.

I wonder if there isn't a respectful way to both recognize some of the mistakes of the past and working towards being better and stronger and more caring, while, at the same time, celebrate the good parts of being Canadian. Because those still exist. Perhaps, as someone who is somewhat removed from all of that, I just don't fully understand.

I apologize to Canadians if beginning this entire thread was insensitive. That was not my intent.

~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
          X