The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 05-27-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 05-27-2021

Last week's thread is missing, as are many threads. I'm unable to summarize how we did. So, we'll just start again.
    How did exercising go last week?

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Goals I had set:
    I'm trying to remember how I stated my goals. It was something like this:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, YouTube yoga or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - I'm not sure how many steps I wanted. Somewhere around 1300 or 1400 per day, I think.

Goals I accomplished:
    - Exercised 3x. 1 Silver Sneakers, 1 Senior Balance, 1 bike ride with hubby (sort of tandem bike; he pulled a 3-wheeled bike with his E-bike. I pedaled when I wanted to.)
    - PT at home 2x
    - Average steps per day: 1361.
    I'll say that I made goals. The only goals I'm not sure about is steps, but it was at least close. Bike riding is fine for my exercise.

Next week's goals:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Increase steps from 1361.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Goals I accomplished:
      - Exercised 3x. 1 Silver Sneakers, 1 Senior Balance, 1 bike ride with hubby (sort of tandem bike; he pulled a 3-wheeled bike with his E-bike. I pedaled when I wanted to.)
      - PT at home 2x
      - Average steps per day: 1361.
      Mamabug ~ Spendid effort on accomplishing your goals! What an excellent variety of exercises. Your biking sounds fun too.

~ I accomplished my exercise goals too. All went well.

Had a few discouraging (physical function) moments last week, but three times as many upbeat ones. I'll take that all day, every day!

Don't want to jinx myself (so knock on wood) but my sit-to-stand practicing has really helped.

I'm becoming more coordinated with my movements: bending head and pulling core forward - pushing heels - straightening knees up.

I was getting out of sync with these movements which, for me, need to be done pretty much simultaneously for a successful lift-off.

Always something to work on, and possibly improve. Never a dull moment.

I will keep my current exercise goals.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Mamabug ~ Spendid effort on accomplishing your goals! What an excellent variety of exercises. Your biking sounds fun too.
        Thanks. Yeah; hubby is pretty creative.

Over the years, we've tried a variety of options:
        - Me riding the 3-wheeled bike independently. Doesn't work well for me; I feel too anxious when riding the bike on sloped sidewalks/roads or when going down a slant or a hill. It also takes too much brain power for me to think about steering, pedalling and braking. Just too many "jobs" for me to manage at the same time.

- Us riding an actual tandem bike together. Works somewhat well. But, I have to pedal the whole time for us to move forward. And, he has to tailor his pedalling / speed to my abilities (or lack of abilities). So, it takes effort for both of us to work together. And, although his balance has never been an issue, I have a small bit of anxiety over what could happen to me if we'd fall over.

- Hubby pulling my power chair behind his e-bike. Worked somewhat well. Except, because the front wheels are small, it is incredibly bumpy when going over RR tracks. it also is just a mode of being transported for me; it doesn't give me any exercise.

Most of these options get interested smiles and greetings and amused looks from passers-by and those we encounter / pass by on our route.

This current arrangement works better than all of the above experiments. Hubby has total control over what he does. how he rides, how fast he pedals and/or uses the electric capacity on his bike. And I have total control over when or if / how frequently / how fast I choose to pedal. Works well for both of us.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          This current arrangement works better than all of the above experiments. Hubby has total control over what he does. how he rides, how fast he pedals and/or uses the electric capacity on his bike. And I have total control over when or if / how frequently / how fast I choose to pedal. Works well for both of us.
          Interesting! Looks like you found the winning option.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Fantastic job on achieving goals made, Mamabug and KoKo!!

My week went well too. Childcare twice, grocery shopping (had it's challenge, as once done, I barely could move to get out of the store)
            Gardening 2x and almost all planted (thanks to my friend who is helping me)!!

1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good afternoon everyone, heck of a weekend here in NEPA if you're a Canadian goose.

Perfect day to applaud all the efforts made these last few weeks especially you Mamabug. I really don't remember specifics as well so my post is much more general. Want to say hi to KoKo and Seasha too.

The "getting out of sync with these movements" covers a lot of ground when spasticity effects one side more than the other. My walking is the best (worst?) example. Pinpointing the problem covers the first half of the issue, good luck with continued sit-to-stand practice KoKo.

Seasha, I had the supermarket routine this week too. Even though I do it on line, the pick-up, the trapping into house and the unpacking / putting away is killer! Sincere congratulations.

A summation of the last few weeks as best as I remember.... The stretching routine has been altered in an attempt to warm-up arm / shoulder rotation. By putting that routine at end of session (still 25 minutes) I have reclaimed some flexibility. Even so I may have lost half of what was available to me only a month ago.

All cardio and upper body routines are going well. No losses / gains... although I have added about 60 minutes total to a 3 session week. Kinda happy with that.

Legs are weaker. Specifically my good leg. This is scary. Walking and balance issues. Hoping this is temporary.

That's all I've got.... Will keep at it!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

A summation of the last few weeks as best as I remember.... The stretching routine has been altered in an attempt to warm-up arm / shoulder rotation. By putting that routine at end of session (still 25 minutes) I have reclaimed some flexibility. Even so I may have lost half of what was available to me only a month ago.
                Glad you found a alternative stretching routine that helps you, Jer! I hear you about losing some ability (me too), but we keep on doing what we can. So much better than doing nothing or giving up altogether! This is true for all of us.
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  Fantastic job on achieving goals made, Mamabug and KoKo!!

My week went well too. Childcare twice, grocery shopping (had it's challenge, as once done, I barely could move to get out of the store)
                  Gardening 2x and almost all planted (thanks to my friend who is helping me)!!
                  Thank you Seasha!

Glad to see that you had a marvelous week of physical exercise too!

Grocery shopping can be exhausting, as I remember all too well.

Also, I think it's wonderful that you continue to do your gardening, by utilizing the assistance of another person. It's a great example to others that we can often times continue doing what we love, if we're willing to accept some help.

And childcare can be both physical and mental exercise, with great reward. Kids seem to grow up so fast. My fondest memories are of spending lots of time with my nieces and nephews.

Comment

All cardio and upper body routines are going well. No losses / gains... although I have added about 60 minutes total to a 3 session week. Kinda happy with that.

Legs are weaker. Specifically my good leg. This is scary. Walking and balance issues. Hoping this is temporary.

That's all I've got.... Will keep at it!
                    Hey Jer!

To say that MS can be quite unnerving would be an understatement.

Adjust, alter, adapt - these seem to be the primary options for us.

I don't remember exactly what leg workouts you do Jer, but overexertion can cause weakness for us too.

It's possible that your leg weakness is temporary. I have spells of extreme leg weakness (more than usual) from being on my legs for too long, from getting too warm, from my being tired/overexertion, and even from sitting/laying too long.

Regarding your walking/balance issues, (hope you don't mind my asking) do you use a mobility aid of any kind?

I know your right arm has flexor spasticity issues, and not sure if you're able to use a rollator or walker during the weaker spells.

Anyways, yes, let's keep at it, in whatever ways we can.

Your efforts are always admirable and inspirational Jer.

I sincerely hope you have a terrific week ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      It's possible that your leg weakness is temporary. I have spells of extreme leg weakness (more than usual) from being on my legs for too long, from getting too warm, from my being tired/overexertion, and even from sitting/laying too long.

Regarding your walking/balance issues, (hope you don't mind my asking) do you use a mobility aid of any kind?

I know your right arm has flexor spasticity issues, and not sure if you're able to use a rollator or walker during the weaker spells.

Anyways, yes, let's keep at it, in whatever ways we can.

Hey KoKo!

Like the word temporary. It's been cold and damp so I thought maybe these last 3 days were a fluke... but today is much the same and good leg is closer to a GOOD leg. I have no idea anymore. The good leg has always been dependable so when it acts up balance suffers.

No to any rollator or walker but you may remember I can grip and use trekking poles. Haven't had them out since gym was closed. May bring them along in a few weeks to visit a CCRC. Might as well let 'em know that I come with poles eh?

Appreciate your concerns K... and regarding inspiration.... we Goal posters feed off each other!

Comment

Like the word temporary.
                        So do I - more and more every day!

No to any rollator or walker but you may remember I can grip and use trekking poles. Haven't had them out since gym was closed. May bring them along in a few weeks to visit a CCRC. Might as well let 'em know that I come with poles eh?
                        Oh yes, I do remember the poles, now that you mentioned it!

Appreciate your concerns K... and regarding inspiration.... we Goal posters feed off each other!
                        Right on!

Comment

Working...
                        X