NOT a theft (but also not MS-related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOT a theft (but also not MS-related)

I love small-town America! Those of you who live in one will understand it, but situations like this are still rare these days (just ask Mamabug). It's restored at least a little of my faith in humanity.

So, Mum (pushing 80) walks to the local diner every weekday for lunch. Today, after getting back home, for whatever blankety-blank reason, she left her book, glasses, and WALLET sitting on the front porch while she went and sat in the back yard for a while. After deciding to finally go inside, she discovered the wallet was missing.

She searched everywhere, retraced her steps, popped into the diner to ask if they'd seen it, then went back home and wrote to me. It "only" had $118 cash in it, no cards or ID, so she wasn't that concerned(!), but it hurt her to think that someone might have stolen from her. That's a lot of money to me, so I was debating getting my boy to drive me over there and help her look for it. I was thinking the wind might have blown it away, but she does live on the main drag, and it's possible that someone nearby saw her set it down and walk away.

Fast-forward an hour, and Mum writes to me again. A trucker found the wallet in a neighboring parking lot and took it to the bank. The bank called the diner (one of those local hangouts that has "for sale" and "help wanted" bulletin boards right inside the front door and where the busiest day of the week is when the special is liver & onions) to ask if someone reported it missing. The diner told them where Mum lives, so they sent a clerk over to her house to verify that the wallet was hers. Not a dollar was missing from it.

I think she's very happy now that she moved out of the city when my stepfather died!

Nice to hear. Small Town living has its benefits for sure. I know wen we go to our cabin in a small town, people are so honest.

Living in the suburbs of a city and having worked in the city for years, commuting by train, I have seen both the worst and best of humanity. I had a homeless addict try to steal my purse ( thankfully unsuccessful since I had it crossbody). I found out I can scream loud in a scary situation (always wondered because in bad dreams, no sound ever came out&#128561! Some of the people who came to my aid - other homeless. But in addition to these homeless who helped me, I had another incredible experience.

Pre-cell phone days, I left work late one night. After getting to the train, I realized I had left my wallet locked in my desk. It had my security badge,train pass, and money in it. I could not get back in the building without my badge, as the night guard did not know me and noone there to vouch for me. It was late, like 11pm, and I lost it on the train station. Two homeless people saw me, asked if I was ok, offered me some of their food and what little they panhandled that day so I could get a ticket. They also stayed with me until the next train, since I missed the first one trying to get back in the building! Thankfully the conductor cut me some slack and let me ride for free.

Odd thing is that in either case, I never saw the homeless men who came to my rescue.

On the bad side, I had a car stolen from a train station and my wallet pickpocketed out of my purse at a movie theater!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

That train story is lovely! I had to live in the city while I was going to school way back when, and it terrified me in broad daylight. I couldn't wait to graduate and go back home.

Comment

It is so good to read heartwarming stories of people helping others -- especially people without a lot of of resources giving what they have to help a stranger.

I usually tend to believe mostly the best of people. My theft story was discouraging -- it reminded me that not everyone is good. The stories here reaffirmed that, although there are some out there who make poor choices, there remain many good-hearted people out there.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you for the heartwarming stories! I have been fortunate to have more good events than bad ones during my life. I feel bad for you Mamabug and hope that your power chair isn't badly damaged and that insurance takes care of the rest of your stolen items.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            It is so good to read heartwarming stories of people helping others -- especially people without a lot of of resources giving what they have to help a stranger.

I usually tend to believe mostly the best of people. My theft story was discouraging -- it reminded me that not everyone is good. The stories here reaffirmed that, although there are some out there who make poor choices, there remain many good-hearted people out there.
            Totally agree with you. I also believe that most people are good. When we encounter the bad, it challenges our belief in humanity. But as our day to day encounters resume with all the good people in life, our faith is restored.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Nora, thanks for sharing another engaging story!

Happy ending for your Mum.
              PPMS for 23 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
                I feel bad for you Mamabug and hope that your power chair isn't badly damaged and that insurance takes care of the rest of your stolen items.
                Thanks. So far, we think the chair is okay. Hubby checked it out inside the SUV, but the ramps we use to get it out were stolen so we haven't been able to drive it around yet.

I'm not how long to expect the insurance assessment and payout will take. Could be awhile.

Today, we got new keys made and programmed. It was the first time hubby could try starting the SUV since the theft and damage. We were glad that it started right up.

Next will be replacing the missing pieces that cover the ignition that were removed and missing.. And getting the broken out back window replaced.

~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

This makes me angry every time I read about it. Stealing from other people is wrong, no matter how you look at it, but it's always worse when they take something that is obviously needed for medical reasons. I mean, how low can you go? I do hope the chair really is okay! Keep updating us on the progress.

Comment

After moving to a small town from a big city, I was shocked when strangers said hello, picked up something if I dropped it and opened a door for the person behind.

Very nice story.

Comment

Working...
                    X