Multiple Sclerosis, SSDI & Debt Consolidation Loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Sclerosis, SSDI & Debt Consolidation Loans

I've been on SSDI since the age of 45 (dx at age 25 way back in 1994). Presently, I'm carrying more credit card debt than I can afford and I would like to lower my monthly payments. But, what are my options? Honestly, is MS too risky to "lend to" and SSDI isn't a "cash cow" so I'm afraid that I have little or no options (disabled, low income, etc.).

Does anyone here have any advice or input on steps to take to tackle credit card debt issues. It's been more than ten years, and it's seems it's snowballing. Thank You All for Your Input!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

I have had some success writing to companies directly and making a request to waive some interest and just pay the principle.

I wish you well...

Comment

I've never used this resource, but you could try to find out about free credit counselling here at American Consumer Credit Counseling:
      Debt Help - Consumer Credit

Or, just try googling "free credit counselling " and see if there are any local resources near you.

Sorry to hear about you dilemma.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Have you tried NMSS navigators? They may be able to help answer questions and provide guidance.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Resources-Support

Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

This obviously wouldn't work for everyone, but my bank has been quite good at working with people based on their personal issues. A lot of it came about because of Covid, but unless you absolutely hate your bank, I'd start with them. Set up an appointment to speak with a manager and just lay it all out with them.

Comment

Could one of your friends set up a go fund me page? All the years you have been fighting MS you deserve to have the years ahead be worry free.

Comment

MS Foundation also has grants and assistance programs: https://msfocus.org/Get-Help/Grants-Programs
              MSWorld Administration

Comment

Working...
              X