Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPMS Patient First To Be Treated With Antibody Given via Nasal Spray

SPMS Patient First To Be Treated With Antibody Given via Nasal Spray

For a first time, an immune-modulating antibody will be given via nasal administration to treat a person with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (SPMS).

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a request to use the antibody — a fully human anti-CD3 monoclonal antibody called foralumab — under an Individual Patient Expanded Access Program, the therapy’s developer, Tiziana Life Sciences, announced in a press release.

Treatment is expected to begin by late June, and last for six months.

Foralumab binds to the CD3 receptor on immune T-cells to calm the immune response. This approach could potentially treat a wide range of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, including progressive forms of MS.

Initially developed to be delivered orally, Foralumab was reformulated for nasal delivery by Howard Weiner, MD, director of the Multiple Sclerosis Program at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) in Boston.

“Nasal anti-CD3 is an exciting, novel approach that has the ability to provide a safe treatment for a form of MS that has no effective treatment. We are pleased that the FDA has allowed us to treat a patient with SPMS who needs a better treatment option than is currently available,” Weiner said.

The person will be treated and evaluated for safety at BWH, and undergo neurological and imaging tests. Changes in immunological and neurodegenerative markers will also be assessed.

A Phase 1 clinical trial, now complete, tested a nasal spray formulation of foralumab, given at ascending doses of 10, 50, and 250 micrograms once daily for five consecutive days to healthy volunteers. Results showed the therapy was well-tolerated, with no treatment-related safety issues reported at any dose. According to the company, biomarker analysis showed significant positive immune effects.

Tiziana also plans to initiate a Phase 2 clinical trial of nasally administered foralumab in progressive MS this year.

“New treatments for progressive MS are urgently needed. Nasal Foralumab could revolutionize treatment for this disabling form of disease,” said Tanuja Chitnis, MD, a professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School and senior neurologist at BWH.

SPMS Patient First To Be Treated With Antibody Given via Nasal Spray (multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com)

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

How exciting! I'm not sure I would snort up like a lab rat, but glad others are willing. My experimental medication days are behind me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
      How exciting! I'm not sure I would snort up like a lab rat, but glad others are willing.
      Lol, Marco
      Sounds promising!

1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Initially developed to be delivered orally, Foralumab was reformulated for nasal delivery by Howard Weiner, MD, director of the Multiple Sclerosis Program at the Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) in Boston.
        Most likely (just guessing here) reformulated to nasal delivery because the orals have been known to cause digestive issues in some people.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

So far, my understanding is that the only DMT's developed for SPMS are specifically designed for Active SPMS or Active Progressing SPMS, where MS flares continue to occur. i seem to be in Non-Active Progressing SPMS. I'm guessing that this med isn't designed to help people like me.

Here are the descriptions of various types of MS:
          https://www.webmd.com/multiple-scler...atment%20style
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Up until this past year my MS has been slowly progressing SPMS, so much so that I was only seeing the neuro once a year. But this year, symptoms have been "galloping" downward. (we always like the line from Arsenic and Old Lace: "Insanity does run in my family, it practically gallops." when joking with my extended family about our idiosyncracies .)

I'm about to have my 3rd brain MRI in the past year. If things continue to go downhill, I'll definitely bring it up with my neuro. Thing is, just like Marc (Wheelchair Kamikaze) my MRIs don't show worsening, and the only significant lesion seems to be one large one in the brainstem, specifically the medulla. I'll put a link to his article about his MRIs in my information.

I'll definitely bring this up to my neuro if things continue this way.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post

Thing is, just like Marc (Wheelchair Kamikaze) my MRIs don't show worsening, and the only significant lesion seems to be one large one in the brainstem, specifically the medulla. I'll put a link to his article about his MRIs in my information.
              My MRI's also don't show a decline in Non Active Progressing SPMS. Probably because the decline is related just to progession, not to activity or flares.

~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

This is super interesting. My neurologist NP says I need to go off of Tysabri because I am “probably” SPMS by now. As I understand it, they have been using Tysabri for SPMS for years,

but, if I am in danger of being taken off of Tysabri, it a great feeling to have a backup plan.

Comment

Working...
                X