Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will getting the vaccination change your life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will getting the vaccination change your life?

It's so nice to hear that some of us are getting the vaccine. I'm still in my two-week caution period, but I'm trying to think about how life will have a new normal, again, after this is over.

I'm trying to figure out what that will look like for me.

I'm an extrovert, living with two introverts (we hardly see my son, who hibernates in the basement when he's not at work). So, being mostly isolated has been a challenge for me.

But, it's also changed me, I think. I'm not sure what the "new" me will look like when I feel more free to return to some previous norms.

- I will likely begin attending group exercises again.
    - We have already resumed attending church -- my church just started in-person services again recently, with masks and social distancing and other additional precautions.
    - My small group (5 women who meet once every two weeks to share about our lives and pray together) might be able to abandon Zoom and meet, carefully, again.
    - We weren't incredibly social people, as far as get togethers with others, so we'll need to think about how and when to include occasional social contacts in our lives again.

I think I'll feel fairly safe, indoors, with other vaccinated people. In very small groups of only vaccinated people, maybe I'll even consider going unmasked. Mostly, I'll likely continue to wear a mask.

It's become easy (and lazy), and somewhat comfortable, not to go places, so I need to figure out who I am again.

I'd be interested to hear how you think your life might change.
    - Will you return to old norms?
    - Will you continue with COVID changes?
    - Will you create new norms?
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I hosted 3 girlfriends for lunch two weeks ago after we had all been vaccinated. It was so nice. I'm also really looking forward to going to restaurants again.

As for the continued COVID change: I will NEVER get on a disgusting, germ filled air plane without a mask again. One of the positives I'm taking from 2020.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Great question. We won't get our 2nd dose til 4/10, and have 2 weeks after that. I can't wait to see actual faces and eat at our favorite restaurant.

Our church is virtual still, but will be opening up for vaccinated folks after Easter. We are having an outdoor service option the next 2 Sundays.

A large portion of our extended family have been vaccinated due to age/medical history or professional field. So it will be really nice just to get together without masks and actually see everyone's smiles! A lot of great nieces and nephews 6 and under, and haven't seen much of them the past year. Being able to babysit them once in awhile will be nice too!

We have a college reunion each summer, 7 of us and spouses. Due to occupations, everyone but 2 will be vaccinated. Even they might be by then. My college roommate lives in Scotland, and they expect to make it in as well. So I think we will really appreciate it even more than normal.

We are also supposed to take a road trip in June to pick up a puppy from a friend's litter. We may make a vacation out of it and spend a week in Georgia.

My husband and I do expect to go back to the gym as well, as long as not crowded and masks still required. We have also wanted to hit the art museum for an exhibit, so that may be in play.

And just being able to get together with friends and neighbors and see faces, either inside or outside, will be so nice. I really miss smiles!

Also may be a fan of masks on planes and trains in the future! I won't care who stares.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I will still wear masks as I use public transportation (trams, buses and trains) all the time. I hope we will be able to end the restrictions once enough people are vaccinated and then I can go on a road trip; Italy is a beautiful country and I love exploring it. I would also like to go to my favorite restaurants. I anticipate making new norms though as I believe we will never get back to the way it was before this.

Comment

I get the big second vaccine on Monday. I am thinking about bringing a bottle of champagne to pop open at the vaccination site and serve it to everyone. Although, everyone will be so afraid of caching the plague as they are waiting in observation in their socially distanced chairs.

My doctors all have big plans for me. April
          is going to be serial appointments. I will reminisce about the ‘good ‘ol days’ when I could see a doctor cozied up in my home with telemedicine. Whenever I possibly can I am going to continue to request them.

I don’t like going out too much to socialize. Getting dressed takes all my spoons for the day. I prefer it when others come to visit me.But it will be nice to invite someone over without having to worry about caching or transmitting a virus.

in many ways there were advantages to masks and social distancing. There were very few cases of colds and flu. Caching a cold may be not that big a deal to most people but I get really sick from them. Even before Tysabri I was hyper careful about going out in public because I have asthma.

All is all our lives will never be completely the same. Young people going to college missed out on the social part of living in a dorm as they got some sort of education online.

My son wanted to get married but he couldn’t have a wedding. He told me will be forty before he has kids. My niece went ahead and got pregnant anyway and had a quit civil ceremony when the fetus was at 5 months so they could announce the new member of the family.

Going to my son’s wedding is something I am really looking forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Great question. We won't get our 2nd dose til 4/10, and have 2 weeks after that. I can't wait to see actual faces and eat at our favorite restaurant.

Our church is virtual still, but will be opening up for vaccinated folks after Easter. We are having an outdoor service option the next 2 Sundays.

A large portion of our extended family have been vaccinated due to age/medical history or professional field. So it will be really nice just to get together without masks and actually see everyone's smiles! A lot of great nieces and nephews 6 and under, and haven't seen much of them the past year. Being able to babysit them once in awhile will be nice too!

We have a college reunion each summer, 7 of us and spouses. Due to occupations, everyone but 2 will be vaccinated. Even they might be by then. My college roommate lives in Scotland, and they expect to make it in as well. So I think we will really appreciate it even more than normal.

We are also supposed to take a road trip in June to pick up a puppy from a friend's litter. We may make a vacation out of it and spend a week in Georgia.

My husband and I do expect to go back to the gym as well, as long as not crowded and masks still required. We have also wanted to hit the art museum for an exhibit, so that may be in play.

And just being able to get together with friends and neighbors and see faces, either inside or outside, will be so nice. I really miss smiles!

Also may be a fan of masks on planes and trains in the future! I won't care who stares.
            Ummm I'd just like to spend a few months living your very full life, please.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I had another brief thought about this. The human race is in such a hurry to come out of its cage and have fun I hope we don’t have a repeat of last summer. The abandon of summertime makes everyone forget that there are a lot of strains out there that could lead to a repeat of last year.

there are also a lot of people who refuse the vaccine. Sorry to be such a downer, I just want to see us actually succeed at staying strong and healthy as a species.

Comment

I won't get the vaccine.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post

Ummm I'd just like to spend a few months living your very full life, please.
                  Hoping it gets fuller. But rereading what I posted made me tired...lol
                  Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                    I had another brief thought about this. The human race is in such a hurry to come out of its cage and have fun I hope we don’t have a repeat of last summer. The abandon of summertime makes everyone forget that there are a lot of strains out there that could lead to a repeat of last year.

there are also a lot of people who refuse the vaccine. Sorry to be such a downer, I just want to see us actually succeed at staying strong and healthy as a species.
                    I do understand - the variants are worrisome. I am looking forward to being outdoors with people. Indoors, including gym, will still be masked Even in homes, I expect to be masked, unless smaller group of fully vaccinated people. As for restaurants, it would depend on the area, occupancy, etc...
                    Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post

I do understand - the variants are worrisome. I am looking forward to being outdoors with people. Indoors, including gym, will still be masked Even in homes, I expect to be masked, unless smaller group of fully vaccinated people. As for restaurants, it would depend on the area, occupancy, etc...
                      Me too. I, also, understand and share Palmtree's concerns.

For example, for Easter this year, a group of 15-18 mostly vaccinated people (but not everyone is) will be meeting outdoors for a picnic kind of a meal.

Although I won't mask while exercising at the gym (makes breathing difficult), we will be socially distanced and I am fully vaccinated. Also, I exercise with small groups of people. They are (except for me) all people in their 70's and older so they will be mostly vaccinated. They were in Phase 2 in Kansas which has been eligible for the vaccine for quite awhile.

At this point, Phases 3 and 4 have also been eligible for a week, and beginning today, Kansas is one of 8 states who has opened vaccination eligibility up to everyone age 16 and older beginning today. As a state, we have already vaccinated over 20% of the population. And out state positive test rate is down to 3.2%. Our current statistics look good. But, I'm still concerned because many counties are allowing their mask requirement to expire even though out state governor still mandates it. (The state House and Senate allows counties to bypass her state mask mandate and set their own lesser ones.)
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

For the first time in over a year myself and three co workers had lunch in the break room (6 feet apart) together. We are all vaccinated and it was so nice to have a conversation again with people in person while eating. To me that was the first step towards the "old days" and it was refreshing.
                        Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
                        Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

I was fully vaccinated 2 1/2 weeks ago and my life has opened up a bit. I was able to get my hair cut - 5 inches! That's how long it's been. Got to pick out new glass frames too. Mine were broken, so it was a good thing!

We had a Easter Egg hunt outside on our property with kids and grandkids today. Still masking up even though all adult kids had at least one shot so far. It was so fun and the first time we've all been together since last March.

Next thing is going to the dentist, but holding off that for awhile.
                          Hope the vaccine count surpasses the Covid varient count in record time!
                          Good health everyone
                          Last edited by Seasha; 04-03-2021, 11:51 PM.
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I won't be getting the vaccine. I had exacerbations, in the past, to most vaccinations, but they were mild. Then a few years ago I took a pneumonia vaccine (I have had pneumonia many times in my MS journey so it seemed wise) but it put me into an exacerbation that was very severe, so my GP and Neuro said "No more vaccines." for me.

However, I'm pretty much home-bound except for doctor visits, so the people that come into the house are being vaccinated. They've had to
                            wait till restrictions fell for them to be vaccinated, so in the near future they will have had the vaccine.

During this time, we've had no restrictions on my son, DIL, and grandkids visiting us, unless they are symptomatic from a cold or virus. I have three grandchildren, but they're all under 5 years of age, so risk from them is small, and all playdates for them with their friends have been out of doors (one of the benefits of living in Florida, lots of sunshine, and warm temperatures so the kids can go to parks and playgrounds.) My husband and son have both had jobs that kept them working at home.

So with the vaccinations, my only exposure will be doctor visits. I was in the hospital a few times during this past year, and I feel that was probably my highest risk situations, but thankfully, I did not contract it during those times.

Hopefully, everyone will be able to experience a "less restricted" life as more and more folks are vaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post

Hopefully, everyone will be able to experience a "less restricted" life as more and more folks are vaccinated.
                              I'm sorry that the vaccine doesn't be seem like a viable option for you.

Hopefully, we'll get to herd immunity at some point. Maybe then you will also feel that you can safely increase your activities.

Jenally and Seasha -- I'm gjad you were able to increase your social activities.

On Saturday, we cekebrsted Easter with an outdoor weiner roast with my husband's family plus a few extra people. 25 of us. Only time call getting together since covid except an outdoor meal for my husband's 60th birthday in September.

In person church has returned, with many precautions. It's good to visit outside, following the service, with masks on.

~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X