Do it your way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do it your way

With so many known benefits from exercise (even short, easy exercises), why not build your own unique exercise plan?

Do it your way.

Exercise doesn’t have to mean going to the gym or going out for a run; it could be something as simple as housework or a walk.

Make it part of your daily routine.

You're more likely to stick with it if it’s easy. If you are in a wheelchair, while you are watching the TV you could use advert breaks to do some exercise: why not try some arm jogging while you are watching the meerkats? Or some balance work when you are putting the kettle on?

Short can be sweet!

Just a minute of arm jogging with a bit of gusto will improve your heart rate and get you breathing deeper. There is growing evidence to show that doing short bursts of exercise, rather than one great long burst, will improve fitness. For people with MS, when fatigue and heat can be a factor, exercising like this can really help.

Pace yourself.

Don’t overdo it, especially if starting to exercise after a break. Listen to your body when it tells you to stop. You will get to learn how much you can manage in one go without leaving yourself exhausted. And remember that other important activities like work, cooking or parenting, take up energy too. Leave yourself enough in the tank to get through the day.

Stay cool.

Everyone can feel lethargic in hot or humid weather, but with MS the effect is often exaggerated. Try using a fan or a cold water spray when exercising or have a cool bath before you start.

Remember to breathe!

It might sound obvious, but you’d be surprised by the number of people who hold their breath when they exercise.

Set up a nudge.

Have a trigger to remind you to exercise. Maybe when the adverts or weather come on the television, or while waiting for the kettle to boil. Set an alarm on your phone?

Top tips for staying active when you have MS | MS Trust

Build your own exercise routine | MS Trust
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Thanks KoKo. Exercising to one's ability is so beneficial, both physically and mentally. The hardest part is turning it into a new, healthful habit. But once the habit is formed, you truly miss it when you skip.

I would love to hear creative ways people exercise and how people counter any obstacles to exercise, whether it is physical obstacles or intangibles like time or balancing it with other activities that take up limited energy. We may be able to help each other with ideas to try!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Good suggestions, KoKo. It does help to "stack" habits.

Sometimes, I try to do some of my past PT exercise before I get up and dressed in the morning.

Or, I walk a couple of laps around the house whenever I need to get up off the couch for something else (a snack, answering the phone, a trip to the bathroom, etc).
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
        Thanks KoKo. Exercising to one's ability is so beneficial, both physically and mentally. The hardest part is turning it into a new, healthful habit. But once the habit is formed, you truly miss it when you skip.

I would love to hear creative ways people exercise and how people counter any obstacles to exercise, whether it is physical obstacles or intangibles like time or balancing it with other activities that take up limited energy. We may be able to help each other with ideas to try!
        Hi Pennstater... & KoKo,

The first thing that crossed my mind while reading KoKo's OP was to replace a bad habit with a good habit, ie: after checking email, MSW, various daily sites, I found myself getting caught up in YouTube. I realized that staring at the screen had no value compared to a "good habit," beneficial exercise.

As to countering physical obstacles... I have PP, not RR and do not feel qualified to respond to what I believe is an uneven but steady decline compared to a rollercoaster ride.

Being retired allows for establishing a regiment. I may alter it, even break it, but as Pennstater said you miss it if you skip. Others have time restraints to deal with but really should not neglect exercise, it could be something as simple as housework or a walk....

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          By putting my power recliner chair in the totally flat position, I am able to do exercises such as the lower back bridge, side-to-side knee roll, pelvic tilt, etc. (since I am unable to get down on the floor, or in and out of bed anymore).

I do other exercises sitting up in my chair, and also some others while standing with my rollator walker.

Stretching exercises are a must-do for me, as I can get stiff easily.

I actually enjoy doing my exercises - it gives me the sense of feeling that I have at least some control over my body movements.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

You guys are champions.

As stated, good habits are key to sucess. In the past year, my schedule has changed many times. Family and work obligations shift and there's an element of flexibility that everyone should have. For me the key is that when that shift takes place, I recalibrate. Maybe replace an activity that I can no longer do with another that is achievable. Regardless of what the constraint is, you have to keep it going.

And yes Jerry, beware of the time suck activities, youtube and candy crush can take away your most valuable resource...your time.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
              You guys are champions.
              Thanks Mike

...beware of the time suck activities, youtube and candy crush can take away your most valuable resource...your time.
              Amen!

Comment

You guys are champions.
                Thank you! You are a champion as well, Bourdeaux!

As stated, good habits are key to sucess. In the past year, my schedule has changed many times. Family and work obligations shift and there's an element of flexibility that everyone should have. For me the key is that when that shift takes place, I recalibrate. Maybe replace an activity that I can no longer do with another that is achievable. Regardless of what the constraint is, you have to keep it going.
                Well said.

Comment

That’s a great list. I spent 30 years doing a set of exercises every morning but couldn’t continue after my diagnosis.

recently I started doing them every day and am amazed at how much my body still loves exercise. At first I could hardly lift a leg but I am back to the routine. The hard part is turning over.

Comment

Working...
                  X