Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleepy type of fatigue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Sleepy type of fatigue

    I honestly believe I'm finally in remission. This last year has been my best in 20 years. But.. I'm noticing my fatigue has become the sleepy kind of tired and am falling asleep every time I lay on the couch. I've told you all about my insomnia for years. That is slowly getting a little better. I have some nights now where I can sleep without any meds or supplements. But, I'm still exhausted during the daytime and now am napping more and more.

    I think that after my husband passed away things started settling down and I have less anxiety and less pain. I really didn't notice this change until recently. But once I started thinking about it, I felt the difference. Taking care of him for years was a strain for sure and I'd do it all over again. But I can see now how hard it was on me.

    So, does anyone feel this sleepy fatigue and what can you do about it?? Is this a "new" symptom? Would this problem mean that I am NOT in remission? Maybe it's just one more thing I really shouldn't be worried about.

    Thanks guys. Hope the winter is being kind to you all.
    Marti




    The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

    #2
    Glad to hear things are better Marti. When you are taking care of someone, it takes a tremendous amount of energy out, both physically and mentally. Most people sleep really lightly, always listening in case they are needed. Great that you are sleeping better.

    Remission is a term used when a relapse subsides. Since it is unlikely you were in a constant relapse all those years, I would think some of the improvements are related to less stress, less anxiety, and better sleep quality.

    As for sleepy kind of fatigue, it is a catch-22, but exercise helps me with that. If I exercise regularly, I sleep better and lose the sleepiness feeling.

    I would think napping during the day would contribute to insomnia - I know for me it does. Getting into a routine works for me - bed at same time, awake at same time. If I had a rough night sleep, I try to limit my nap to 30-45 minutes and no later than 1pm to not interfere with that night's sleep. Of course, there are fluctuations, but I try to get back into a routine.

    Other things that can contribute to sleepiness for me are diet, boredom, depression, and too much screen time (even with special lenses).

    Hope you find things that work for you.
    Last edited by pennstater; 01-31-2021, 10:29 PM.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by marti View Post
      So, does anyone feel this sleepy fatigue and what can you do about it??
      Marti. have you tried a cup of coffee or tea to help during the day?

      Not late in the day, though, since you are prone to having insomnia.



      PPMS for 23 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

      Comment


        #4
        Marti

        My wife has this type of fatigue and what really helps her is the drug “CONCERTA 36mg”. It’s prescribed for ADHD and for other disorders You will need brand as generics are not effective for fatigue. You can read all about it on goodrx. The brand is expensive but if you have a drug plan ask your plan to put it in a lower tier. They may ask you to try generic first. We are on Medicare so by March we are in and out of the donut hole and only pay 5% for the rest of the year. I hope it is as effective for you as it is for my wife.



        Comment


          #5
          Marti -- I'm glad that sleep is happening more easily for you.

          I think, too, that, rather than *remission*, you might be experiencing *improvement*.

          I also wonder if your sleepiness might simply be your body finally having the ability to okay "catch up" after such a long time of being unable to sleep effectively. Your sleepiness might be an additional sign of improvement, rather than a new problem.

          Rather than utilizing meds or caffeine to mask it, an option is to embrace it and allow your body to get as much sleep as it needs. Our bodies can use sleep as a time for healing
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

          Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
          .

          - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

          Comment


            #6
            Sorry, forgot the reference link about caffeine and MS fatigue:

            Coffee May Help Ease Fatigue in MS Patients With Milder Disability (multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com)

            PPMS for 23 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

            Comment


              #7
              Oh my, I forgot you suffered with insomnia. I would listen to mamabug and just embrace the sleepiness and see where you are six months from now. Good luck.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                Glad to hear things are better Marti. When you are taking care of someone, it takes a tremendous amount of energy out, both physically and mentally. Most people sleep really lightly, always listening in case they are needed. Great that you are sleeping better.

                Remission is a term used when a relapse subsides. Since it is unlikely you were in a constant relapse all those years, I would think some of the improvements are related to less stress, less anxiety, and better sleep quality.

                As for sleepy kind of fatigue, it is a catch-22, but exercise helps me with that. If I exercise regularly, I sleep better and lose the sleepiness feeling.

                I would think napping during the day would contribute to insomnia - I know for me it does. Getting into a routine works for me - bed at same time, awake at same time. If I had a rough night sleep, I try to limit my nap to 30-45 minutes and no later than 1pm to not interfere with that night's sleep. Of course, there are fluctuations, but I try to get back into a routine.

                Other things that can contribute to sleepiness for me are diet, boredom, depression, and too much screen time (even with special lenses).

                Hope you find things that work for you.

                You are so right about the strain of taking care of someone else when you, yourself are not at your best. It never fails that when I report that things are better for me, they start slipping back again. Some nights trying to sleep is just torture. But I'm thankful for the nights in between that are better. I am trying things like walking and moving more. Every time I sit down I just want to fall asleep. But at night..... UGH! Thanks for all your advice!!
                Marti




                The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by KoKo View Post

                  Marti. have you tried a cup of coffee or tea to help during the day?

                  Not late in the day, though, since you are prone to having insomnia.


                  Thanks so much. I don't drink a lot of coffee because I have Gastritis. But I do make some every so often.
                  Marti




                  The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    Marti -- I'm glad that sleep is happening more easily for you.

                    I think, too, that, rather than *remission*, you might be experiencing *improvement*.

                    I also wonder if your sleepiness might simply be your body finally having the ability to okay "catch up" after such a long time of being unable to sleep effectively. Your sleepiness might be an additional sign of improvement, rather than a new problem.

                    Rather than utilizing meds or caffeine to mask it, an option is to embrace it and allow your body to get as much sleep as it needs. Our bodies can use sleep as a time for healing

                    Thanks Mama. You always have good ideas. I have felt some improvements, but with a few off days, of course. But this sleepy stuff is new. I'm able to fall asleep watching tv (or just listening to it), but this is an exhausted, sleepy kind of feeling... no energy, a little dizziness. Just yucky. I felt so awful for so many years that I assumed that when it stopped I was hitting a remission. All these years the neuro just told me I was progressing. This disease still blows my mind. Compounded with Thyroid disease and tummy trouble it's even harder to get a handle on things. Hope you are in good shape. Stay well.
                    Marti




                    The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by robert152 View Post
                      Marti

                      My wife has this type of fatigue and what really helps her is the drug “CONCERTA 36mg”. It’s prescribed for ADHD and for other disorders You will need brand as generics are not effective for fatigue. You can read all about it on goodrx. The brand is expensive but if you have a drug plan ask your plan to put it in a lower tier. They may ask you to try generic first. We are on Medicare so by March we are in and out of the donut hole and only pay 5% for the rest of the year. I hope it is as effective for you as it is for my wife.


                      Sorry to hear about your wife. I know the torture of fatigue and insomnia. I'll ask about Concerta next time I see the doctor. I'm trying to stay away from all of them!!
                      Marti




                      The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by marti View Post


                        Thanks Mama. You always have good ideas. I have felt some improvements, but with a few off days, of course. But this sleepy stuff is new. I'm able to fall asleep watching tv (or just listening to it), but this is an exhausted, sleepy kind of feeling... no energy, a little dizziness. Just yucky. I felt so awful for so many years that I assumed that when it stopped I was hitting a remission. All these years the neuro just told me I was progressing. This disease still blows my mind. Compounded with Thyroid disease and tummy trouble it's even harder to get a handle on things. Hope you are in good shape. Stay well.
                        I was assuming that, maybe with your extra sleep, that you woke feeling refreshed, even if the refreshment might not last long and you may need sleep again soon.

                        But, if you're feeling yucky and dizzy, then maybe embracing the extra sleep, as I suggested, might not be the most helpful suggestion.

                        Have you talked to your neuro about your sleepiness? And, described it, as you did here? Perhaps it is something that needs to be treated as a symptom and not as an improvement.

                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

                        Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
                        .

                        - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X