Hey oceanpride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey oceanpride

Would you be willing to share what you mean by “selective footwear” for your footdrop? In the last 12 months my wife had a few nasty falls. She also has problems putting on sneakers and some shoes. Thank you.
    Bob

Yes Robert I would be happy to.
    When I buy footwear I select shoes or boots with plenty of ankle support, kind of rigid and also they must have well turned up toes so as to help prevent tripping. I find more of a hiking style works best. The absolute best footwear I have are winter Dunlop rubber boots and I no question get around better in them than anything. They are non slip on ice as well. I even wore them to my annual Nero appointment. They are awkward to drive with. But I’m sorry I don’t know much about ladies footwear or what is available. I have to use shoe horns for most of them. Really I look for something that serves as a brace because I don’t like wearing my foot brace.
    I wouldn’t fare too well in a sneaker because not much ankle support.
    Hope I’ve been of some help.
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

You have oceanpride, ankle support and turned up toes. Makes sense to me. Thank you.

Comment

Just curious if your wife has AFOs. Think I recall you asking about the WallkAide or Bioness. (No experience with those).

I resisted wearing mine for years, but after a bad relapse, the PT I had while in inpatient rehab convinced me I needed to wear them. A few years later, had another bad relapse, and an orthotist was called in by my PT to evaluate me. That's when I got custom hinged ones. Didn't like wearing them, but stabilized my ankle so could continue walking as long as possible.

I also had problems putting on shoes. My orthotic made it worse.

These "step in" shoes are fairly new to the market, and would help with that https://www.google.com/amp/s/footwea...202813585/amp/

Best of luck.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Kimba22

Thank you so much for your response. Ang still does not have a brace but is walking with either a cane or a walker. She is fortunate to have her physical therapy at a facility that only caters to MS patients and they have somebody come in and fits braces for them. they fitted three different types for her but it was to much of a struggle getting them on or getting her shoes on.The next step was a custom made one but we had to commit in advance without seeing the finished product. We were about to do so when she took a very nasty fall bruising her face, arm and leg. Everything but the leg is healed which is still a little swollen so no fitting until it recedes.for the last three weeks she has been very good using the walker or the cane, mostly the walker inside the house and if this continues we might hesitate a little longer with the brace. What do you think? Some of the MS people she talks to say they very seldom wear the brace.

I think we should bite the bullet and go with a bioness but again there are drawbacks mainly skin abrasion so I would want a trial period of at least a month even if it meant renting a unit.

Are you wearing your brace all the time? Everyday? Even in the house?

Again, thank you for taking the time to be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by robert152
            Ang still does not have a brace but is walking with either a cane or a walker. She is fortunate to have her physical therapy at a facility that only caters to MS patients and they have somebody come in and fits braces for them. they fitted three different types for her but it was to much of a struggle getting them on or getting her shoes on.
            Hi Robert,

Bigger shoes help. But I still needed someone to help me when I had my custom braces.

The next step was a custom made one but we had to commit in advance without seeing the finished product. We were about to do so when she took a very nasty fall bruising her face, arm and leg. Everything but the leg is healed which is still a little swollen so no fitting until it recedes.
            Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about your wife's fall. I hope she feels better soon.

The custom brace I had extended just over my ankles. It was bulkier, but provided the support I needed. I had no idea what I getting, either, and wasn't thrilled when I found out. It wasn't easy, but had to set vanity aside, and wear it if I wanted to walk.

I was in a rehab facility, recovering from a relapse, when I got mine. Because I was too much of a fall risk, the only time I was allowed to walk was in therapy. (At the time, my insurance covered my braces 100%.)

I had a problem with my knees collapsing, and the braces helped that. I didn't understand how that worked, but was told it was because it's all related. My unstable feet and ankles were also throwing off my knees. I also needed one for each foot.

It might be possible to set up an appointment at the orthotist's office just to see what they have in mind.

"for the last three weeks she has been very good using the walker or the cane, mostly the walker inside the house and if this continues we might hesitate a little longer with the brace
            I'm glad your wife is doing better using her walker and cane. But she still fell again, and there's no way to know when it will happen again.

"What do you think? Some of the MS people she talks to say they very seldom wear the brace.
            That she's too great a risk, and needs one ASAP. All it takes is one fall and she might never walk again or worse. I had a friend who ended up bedridden after she fell. As someone with MS who broke both hips, it's not worth it. (My falls had nothing to do with walking. I fell out of bed - in the hospital of all places, and off my shower chair.)

At one time I fell into the category of seldom wearing my brace, but I also wasn't falling as much as your wife is back then.

"I think we should bite the bullet and go with a bioness but again there are drawbacks mainly skin abrasion so I would want a trial period of at least a month even if it meant renting a unit
            What did the physical therapist think about it and has your wife tried one yet? They don't work for everyone with MS.

I also don't know if it will give enough support for her ankles, if that's what's needed. Here's some other pros and cons:
            https://www.everydayhealth.com/multi...ated-foot-drop/

Are you wearing your brace all the time? Everyday? Even in the house?
            I'm no longer walking, but yes, I did.

I get how hard it is to accept, but I finally realized I had to wear mine to keep walking as long as possible. I hope you can help your wife realize the same.

Best wishes to you both
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

WOW. Kimba, what a kind, thoughtful and informative responses and you reached both of us. Ang is ordering the custom brace and we’ll see if she can use it.I’ll let you know. You are a very giving person and we are very appreciative.

you are not from New Jersey by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by robert152 View Post
                WOW. Kimba, what a kind, thoughtful and informative responses and you reached both of us. Ang is ordering the custom brace and we’ll see if she can use it.I’ll let you know. You are a very giving person and we are very appreciative.

you are not from New Jersey by any chance?

Aww, gee thanks!

No, Michigan. My dad is from Philly and now my Aunt lives there. Have many happy memories of the boardwalk, the shore, and my uncle's boat!

I'm so happy to hear she is ordering a brace. It takes a while to get used to them, but I really hope it works out for her.

Kimba

Comment

Working...
                X