Disability - Static and Dynamic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability - Static and Dynamic

I read an article that discussed static vs dynamic disability. It wasn't an MS specific article, but seemed so relevant to those of us who do have some level of disability.

For some of us, day to day, our disability may not vary much - it is fairly static. For others, day to day, we are not sure how invisible disabilities may manifest - dynamic in nature. And of course, there are those that have a certain level day to day, but on top of it, may be affected by variability - jackpot of bot static and dynamic.

I found it interesting that the author talked about having to conserve energy to be able to do things, and in turn, people not understanding why some days, she can do things and others, not.

​​​​​​I guess I never really thought how other chronic illnesses can result in similar types of issues.

Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
    I found it interesting that the author talked about having to conserve energy to be able to do things, and in turn, people not understanding why some days, she can do things and others, not.
    On top of day-to-day variations in ability/disability levels, I encounter time-of-day variations in my ability/disability levels as well.

I have to do most of my chores in the early part of the day, as my ability to function decreases as the hours pass by.

I can do things in the morning, that are impossible for me to do later in the day, due to increasing weakness, balance issues, and motor fatigue.

I even have to prepare my suppertime meal in the morning, (on days that my sister doesn't bring a meal).

Interesting topic, thank you Kathy.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

On top of day-to-day variations in ability/disability levels, I encounter time-of-day variations in my ability/disability levels as well.

I have to do most of my chores in the early part of the day, as my ability to function decreases as the hours pass by.

I know you are not alone in this.

This varies for me as well. Some days, I am fine speading things out thru the day. Other days, if I don't get it done the first few hours, it doesn't get done. Yet other days, if I rest, I can plow through later. Sometimes I pay the next day for it as well.

Just wish I knew ahead of time what kind of day it will be. As you can tell, I haven't quite mastered the art of balancing day to day!

Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X