Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feeling no pain

Hello friends
    I haven’t been on this message board for few months as I have been dealing with new symptoms alongside with COVID restriction ,life hasn’t been easy on me
    the very last surprise is I no longer feel pain , I mean if someone pulls my arm and drag me for miles , no complain 😡
    it’s very strange and scary
    I know having unexplainable pain might be MS symptom but not feeling the pain , don’t see it as common symptom ??
    i’ve noticed this change since 3 weeks back but waited for my phone appointment yesterday with my neurologist . He also mentioned that he has seen extreme pain as ms symptoms but “Not feeling pain” is New to him

Would you please share your experience as I am panicked badly

I’m already bonded to wheelchair so not feasible to test my balance or If I can walk

I have had some weird sensation like tingling or heaviness in arms , those remain the same , still consistently feeling it

Your feedback would be highly appreciated

Hello brave

Glad that you've checked-in to let us know how you're doing.

Sorry to learn that you've been dealing with new symptoms, and that things haven't been easy for you.

I don't recall hearing much about the 'not feeling pain' symptom. That would be quite an unsettling experience for me too.

I have numbness in my left hand, and the pain signals are very slow before I finally get the sensation of pain, but the sensation eventually does show up. For instance, if I pick up something that is too hot, I don't feel it for several seconds.

Also, when I'm in the shower I don't feel the water temperature at all on the numb areas of my back and legs.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if any of our other members share your no pain experience.

Hopefully it's just a fleeting, temporary symptom. MS is a very weird disease.

Take Care

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi brave,

Somewhat surprised that the neurologist responded as he did. Doesn't it seems logical that a corrupt signal to move a limb (or whatever) may at some point fail altogether? Result either continuous pain or none at all.

My trainer (PT) would laugh if I said, "...hurt's so good" responding to how I felt during a routine.

Over time I have seriously bruised myself and once scraped my leg seriously. I had no knowledge until in front of a mirror.

Fortunately, most of the time I feel pain, especially spasticity. Knowing pain is better than not knowing pain.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Hello brave

Glad that you've checked-in to let us know how you're doing.

Sorry to learn that you've been dealing with new symptoms, and that things haven't been easy for you.

I don't recall hearing much about the 'not feeling pain' symptom. That would be quite an unsettling experience for me too.

I have numbness in my left hand, and the pain signals are very slow before I finally get the sensation of pain, but the sensation eventually does show up. For instance, if I pick up something that is too hot, I don't feel it for several seconds.

Also, when I'm in the shower I don't feel the water temperature at all on the numb areas of my back and legs.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if any of our other members share your no pain experience.

Hopefully it's just a fleeting, temporary symptom. MS is a very weird disease.

Take Care

Hi koko
        I appreciate your time , my sensitivity to cold/hot is same as before
        I keep testing my body and senses , I react to needle!!
        as you stated MS is weirder , anything expected

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          Hi brave,

Somewhat surprised that the neurologist responded as he did. Doesn't it seems logical that a corrupt signal to move a limb (or whatever) may at some point fail altogether? Result either continuous pain or none at all.

My trainer (PT) would laugh if I said, "...hurt's so good" responding to how I felt during a routine.

Over time I have seriously bruised myself and once scraped my leg seriously. I had no knowledge until in front of a mirror.

Fortunately, most of the time I feel pain, especially spasticity. Knowing pain is better than not knowing pain.
          Hi 502E79
          thank you very much for sharing your experience with me
          i like to know if I understand you right
          seems during PT you didn’t feel the pain and caused some bruise , am I right?
          if so , how long this feeling last ? Do you know if happened to you during an attack ? However my MS is Progressive

thanks for your time

Comment

Hi Brave,

I'm sorry you have been having a rough time. No longer feeling pain would be an unsettling for me, too. I have pain 24/7, and while at first it sounds like an answer to a prayer, I know instead it's dangerous.

My feet and calves are numb, same with my fingers and left hand. My sensation is reduced, but I can still feel things that are painful - when the coffee cup is too hot or my leg bumps against something. Also have tingling and burning with mine, which is common. My husband doesn't understand how I can feel numb, yet have tingling and burning at the same time. I have progressive MS, and it's permanent for me.

Is this everywhere? As a wheelchair user, you are much more prone to nasty pressure ulcers if can't feel your butt. I have also gotten them from bed before. If so, make a conscious effort to reposition yourself often (set an alarm).

This is what I found from the MSAA ~

Numbness

A very common symptom of MS is numbness, often in the limbs or across the body in a band-like fashion. Numbness is divided into four categories:

• Paresthesia – feelings of pins and needles, tingling, buzzing, or crawling sensation

• Dysesthesia – a burning sensation along a nerve; changes in perceptions of touch or pressure; nonpainful contact becomes painful

• Hyperpathia – increased sensitivity to pain

• Anesthesia – complete loss of any sensation, including touch, pain, or temperature

The first three types of numbness – paresthesia, dysesthesia, and hyperpathia – are all frequently seen at various times and to various degrees in people with MS. The fourth type, anesthesia, is rarely experienced by someone with MS.

Sensory symptoms tend to come and go for most people and usually carry a good prognosis for not becoming permanent. Often, the change in sensation occurs only along a patch of skin or in specific areas, such as one or both hands, arms, or legs. For someone not yet diagnosed with MS, numbness is not necessarily indicative of the disease.
            https://mymsaa.org/ms-information/symptoms/numbness/

So I guess you are a rare case. I hope this symptom goes away, and soon!

Best wishes
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi brave,

Regarding your questions...

if I understand you right, seems during PT you didn’t feel the pain and caused some bruise, am I right?

I remember 4 instances where a day or so later, I discovered either serious bruises (a large area of skin discoloration on one occasion) or the scrape I mentioned. A few of these must have happened at the gym although I wasn't aware then. They may have happened elsewhere but I should recall something, my memory is still pretty good.

if so, how long this feeling last?

I didn't feel the injury when it must have occurred. Later, in front of mirror or in shower I noticed cuts or bruise. Only upon touching did I feel pain.

Do you know if happened to you during an attack ? However my MS is Progressive.

I have always been PPMS. In the 13 years since dx, only on a half dozen occasions was I unaware of injury thankfully.

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
              Often, the change in sensation occurs only along a patch of skin or in specific areas, such as one or both hands, arms, or legs.
              Thanks for this Kimba. 30 years previous to MS dx I was in a serious auto accident. I escaped without any bodily damage. But I have one area on my right thigh (now my spastic leg) that is numb to the touch. MS related or me trying to press Brake through the floor?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                Hi Brave,

I'm sorry you have been having a rough time. No longer feeling pain would be an unsettling for me, too. I have pain 24/7, and while at first it sounds like an answer to a prayer, I know instead it's dangerous.

My feet and calves are numb, same with my fingers and left hand. My sensation is reduced, but I can still feel things that are painful - when the coffee cup is too hot or my leg bumps against something. Also have tingling and burning with mine, which is common. My husband doesn't understand how I can feel numb, yet have tingling and burning at the same time. I have progressive MS, and it's permanent for me.

Is this everywhere? As a wheelchair user, you are much more prone to nasty pressure ulcers if can't feel your butt. I have also gotten them from bed before. If so, make a conscious effort to reposition yourself often (set an alarm).

This is what I found from the MSAA ~

Numbness

A very common symptom of MS is numbness, often in the limbs or across the body in a band-like fashion. Numbness is divided into four categories:

• Paresthesia – feelings of pins and needles, tingling, buzzing, or crawling sensation

• Dysesthesia – a burning sensation along a nerve; changes in perceptions of touch or pressure; nonpainful contact becomes painful

• Hyperpathia – increased sensitivity to pain

• Anesthesia – complete loss of any sensation, including touch, pain, or temperature

The first three types of numbness – paresthesia, dysesthesia, and hyperpathia – are all frequently seen at various times and to various degrees in people with MS. The fourth type, anesthesia, is rarely experienced by someone with MS.

Sensory symptoms tend to come and go for most people and usually carry a good prognosis for not becoming permanent. Often, the change in sensation occurs only along a patch of skin or in specific areas, such as one or both hands, arms, or legs. For someone not yet diagnosed with MS, numbness is not necessarily indicative of the disease.
                https://mymsaa.org/ms-information/symptoms/numbness/

So I guess you are a rare case. I hope this symptom goes away, and soon!

Best wishes
                Hi kimba
                thank you very much for researching about my problem
                yes I see that I may be one of those rare cases
                I’ll send this link to my neurologist too
                i pray this is temporary , it’s really bad
                thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  Hi brave,

Regarding your questions...

if I understand you right, seems during PT you didn’t feel the pain and caused some bruise, am I right?

I remember 4 instances where a day or so later, I discovered either serious bruises (a large area of skin discoloration on one occasion) or the scrape I mentioned. A few of these must have happened at the gym although I wasn't aware then. They may have happened elsewhere but I should recall something, my memory is still pretty good.

if so, how long this feeling last?

I didn't feel the injury when it must have occurred. Later, in front of mirror or in shower I noticed cuts or bruise. Only upon touching did I feel pain.

Do you know if happened to you during an attack ? However my MS is Progressive.

I have always been PPMS. In the 13 years since dx, only on a half dozen occasions was I unaware of injury thankfully.

Thanks for this Kimba. 30 years previous to MS dx I was in a serious auto accident. I escaped without any bodily damage. But I have one area on my right thigh (now my spastic leg) that is numb to the touch. MS related or me trying to press Brake through the floor?!?
                  Thank you very much 502E79 for providing additional information

Comment

This is a confusing (and informative!) post for me, because I've been told for years that lack of feeling is normal with MS. I lost partial sensation in all parts of my body quite some years ago. I can still feel pressure, and of course I do get the random burning or stabbing pains, the standard backaches and MS hugs, but I've had countless minor injuries that I didn't know about until someone else saw them.

I go barefoot as often as possible because it's easier for me to feel what's under my feet than when I wear shoes. That backfired on me during the summer when I took a stroll through my field. It wasn't until several days later that I developed pain in my ankle, and that's when I discovered that I'd been stabbed by a rather large splinter that was now infected. I've also scratched or cut my arms and didn't know it until the blood started dripping everywhere. Throughout adulthood I've dealt with massive bruises to the point that people have asked if I was being abused. Sometimes I vaguely remember running into something, but there was no pain at the time to register that fact.

To actually answer Brave's initial post, the only time that I lost all feeling entirely was about 13 years ago, and it lasted less than 24 hours. It was as though someone had drawn a line down the center of my body. The right side was normal; the left side felt nothing. I was still able to walk with assistance, and I could lift my left arm but not move that hand. My left eye was blurry. The left side of my mouth sagged. I knew instinctively that it wasn't a stroke, and it was this situation that had the first ER doctor believing that it was MS.

In general, it's mild enough on a daily basis that I've just gotten used to it, but I do have to be very careful when using knives or hand tools or when walking across uneven surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by NoraS View Post
                      This is a confusing (and informative!) post for me, because I've been told for years that lack of feeling is normal with MS. I lost partial sensation in all parts of my body quite some years ago. I can still feel pressure, and of course I do get the random burning or stabbing pains, the standard backaches and MS hugs, but I've had countless minor injuries that I didn't know about until someone else saw them.

I go barefoot as often as possible because it's easier for me to feel what's under my feet than when I wear shoes. That backfired on me during the summer when I took a stroll through my field. It wasn't until several days later that I developed pain in my ankle, and that's when I discovered that I'd been stabbed by a rather large splinter that was now infected. I've also scratched or cut my arms and didn't know it until the blood started dripping everywhere. Throughout adulthood I've dealt with massive bruises to the point that people have asked if I was being abused. Sometimes I vaguely remember running into something, but there was no pain at the time to register that fact.

To actually answer Brave's initial post, the only time that I lost all feeling entirely was about 13 years ago, and it lasted less than 24 hours. It was as though someone had drawn a line down the center of my body. The right side was normal; the left side felt nothing. I was still able to walk with assistance, and I could lift my left arm but not move that hand. My left eye was blurry. The left side of my mouth sagged. I knew instinctively that it wasn't a stroke, and it was this situation that had the first ER doctor believing that it was MS.

In general, it's mild enough on a daily basis that I've just gotten used to it, but I do have to be very careful when using knives or hand tools or when walking across uneven surfaces.
                      Hi NoraS

thank you very much for sharing your experience

I can’t walk so can’t compare that aspect

I’m on wheelchair and had pain in upper body , shoulder and ribs in pain while moved or twisted my upper body in wheelchair

All sudden none of those regular pains

I don’t feel stretch if I stretch my arm back

I can sense hot/cold while touching it

I can feel needle pin too

Not sure what happens if have internal/ abdominal pain 😡

Comment

Working...
                      X