X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Marco View Post

People with progressive MS, those who are older, those who have a higher level of physical disability, those with certain medical conditions (e.g., diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, heart and lung disease, pregnancy), and Black and Hispanic populations are among groups with the highest risk for hospitalization due to COVID-19. Individuals in these high risk groups are especially encouraged to get the vaccine as soon as it becomes available to you.

The COVID-19 vaccines are safe for people with MS
    The vaccines do not contain live virus and will not cause COVID-19 disease. The vaccines are not likely to trigger an MS relapse or to worsen your chronic MS symptoms. The risk of getting COVID-19 far outweighs any risk of having an MS relapse from the vaccine.
    I have the progressive form (SPMS), in the older age range (but no other medical conditions) and aren't on any DMT's.

I received the 1st dose of Moderna yesterday. I have only experienced a sore arm and so far, haven't noticed any worsening of MS symptoms. The 2nd shot may have more side effects from what I've heard but will cross that bridge when the time comes.

I highly recommend getting your vaccine when you can.

Leave a comment:

• pb909
    replied
    I'm currently on Ocrevus, my last infusion was Nov 2020.

I asked my Neuro if any issues with getting the vaccine now and he said no issues and recommends getting it - either Pfizer or Moderna are ok.

I understand everyone's situation is different and just wanted to share my findings.

Leave a comment:

• limppy
    replied
    Thanks I am gettin mine at end of feb 2021

Leave a comment:

• palmtree
    replied
    That’s, Marco for the wonderful valuable information. I can’t wait to get vaccinated. Been in quarantine since last February because I am high risk.

Right now my state is vaccinating health care workers first. My caregiver managed to get her first shot. So possibly family members who are performing the caregiving role will qualify, also.

I read a lot about the way the vaccines from Pfizer, Moderna and Astra Zeneca were developed and I have complete trust in them. The Johnson and Johnson one I don’t feel comfortable with.

we will see how this all evolves.

Leave a comment:

• pennstater
    replied
    Jennaly16 - glad to hear you only have minor side effects. Hope they are short lived. Really glad you will have that protection!

Leave a comment:

• Jennaly16
    replied
    I got my first dose of Pfizer yesterday! I am on Mayzent. No major side effects! I did have some MS type things (some numbness in my legs and hands) and was tired however i don't know if i can say it's MS specific. I've heard a lot of co workers say they were very tired after their first dose. Plus it's really cold where i live which effects me too. I was so excited to get it yesterday!

Leave a comment:

• gargantua
    replied
    Originally posted by gargantua View Post
    Thank you - sounds like we can all rest easy that our MS status does not change anything in regard to taking the COVID-19 vaccine.
    Woops, I wanted to add something else. My neurologist told me that being on Ocrevus does not increase your risk of problems with the vaccine, but that the reason for waiting 4-6 weeks is to ensure the vaccine is most effective.

Leave a comment:

• gargantua
    replied
    Thank you - sounds like we can all rest easy that our MS status does not change anything in regard to taking the COVID-19 vaccine.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpride
    replied
    I’m heading for my Ocrevus tomorrow morning. My neurologist said I could get the vaccine in three months. Sounded like they might even schedule it for me. Before he said four weeks after or before
    but maybe now he’s got new information to go by ?

Leave a comment:

• KatRuns
    replied
    Just saw my Neurologist yesterday. Ocrevus infusion next week so he recommends waiting 4- 6 weeks post infusion for COVID 19 vaccine. At the absolute minimum (if other circumstances are in play) wait at least 2 weeks!!

Leave a comment:

• pb909
    replied
    Thanks Marco for the info.

I'm currently on Ocrevus and will need to understand the timing considerations, planning to discuss with my Neuro as well as watching for these updates.

"For those taking Kesimpta, Lemtrada, Mavenclad, Ocrevus, or Rituxan—you may need to coordinate the timing of your vaccine with the timing of your DMT dose. Work with your MS healthcare provider..."

Leave a comment:

• pennstater
    replied
    Originally posted by Jennaly16 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone saw this article as well:

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...rz4-story.html
    A friend sent a similar story to me on biontechs's use of mRNA for MS vaccine research. I haven't had a chance to do any research on it and find more than the quick highlight reel. But that would be such wonderful news. Here is hoping it translates from mice to people well.

Leave a comment:

• Jennaly16
    replied
    I was wondering if anyone saw this article as well:

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...rz4-story.html

Leave a comment:

• Mamabug
    replied
    Thanks! Useful information, and good to know what is recommended for people with MS.

Leave a comment:

• polopuppy
    replied
    For those that are interested, the UCSF Multiple Sclerosis and Neuroinflammation Center will be presenting their 4th Town Hall Meeting on Covid vaccine recommendations in MS patients, tomorrow at 5:30 pm PST. There is also a link to watch the other three Town Hall meetings, which were very informative. Registration is required if you wish to get access to the Zoom meeting. I receive my MS care here and the all the neurologists are great speakers and very dedicated to patient care. Here is the link:

https://multiplesclerosis.ucsf.edu/p...ilies/covid_19

Leave a comment:

Working...
X