Received Covid Vaccine yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received Covid Vaccine yet?

I was curious if anyone has received the Covid Vaccine yet? Also was interested if any side effects or doctor's opinion surrounding it.

Today my work released dates and times to get the vaccine (as early as tomorrow) however my neurologist is against getting it yet until more information comes out since I take a DMT. Figured i'd ask if anyone has already received it and how they were feeling.
    Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
    Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

A prior thread was started to discuss vaccines and some have expressed their doctors opinions. You may find it helpful.

https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...cines-and-dmts
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I am scheduled later this week. At this point I probably know about 30 people who got the first one.
      I've only heard of two who had mild flu-like symptoms, most said their arm was a little sore and some with nothing to report. I know someone who was in the trial which has been unblinded and they got the actual vaccine which they thought they did because of mild fever and flu like symptoms which were worse with second injection than first. I hope everyone who wants it will get it soon, and of course, that it works.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I had the Pfizer vaccine last week on 12/30/2020. Unfortunately, I had side effects that kept me down for the count for 3 days. I had an immediate reaction with flushing, itching, and hives. By the time I got home, I had a bad headache, body aches, nausea, fatigue and strangely enough, jaw pain. By the 4th day, my symptoms started to improve but my jaw pain progressed to include right sided facial pain and numbness. I went to Urgent Care to be assessed for a jaw infection because the pain was unbearable, despite large doses of pain medication. Urgent Care sent me to the ER and they gave me Toradol, antibiotics and a CT scan. The ER decided that I must have a dental issue causing the pain so I was sent to the Emergency Dental Clinic. After a thorough work up, they could find no dental cause. My neurologist now thinks I'm having a rare reaction to the vaccine or have developed Trigeminal Neuralgia. My older son had jaw pain after his vaccine and so have 2 other people I know.

I'm really hoping the jaw/facial pain improves on its own. I am due for the booster on 1/20 but I will have a discussion with my medical team whether I should get it or not. People are definitely complaining of increased side effects with the second inoculation. I will continue with the weekly blood tests looking for antibody levels as part of the study I am in. Please don't let my experience scare you off of the vaccine. I am highly allergic and have a history of anaphylaxis from several different drugs and food items.

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback. i did see the other thread that was started but i guess i was looking more specifically at those with MS who received the vaccine and the reaction. I know several people who received first dose when it came out in December and are about to get the second dose. None of them experienced any side effects other than maybe feeling a little blah (thankfully). Now all my co workers and the company i work for will have it by end of next week. I am going to wait until my neurologist feels it is ok to go ahead with but i was really wondering how people with MS were affected with it since people with MS were not included in the trials.

Polopuppy- so sorry to hear about your reaction. How scary to go through as well! Here we are encouraged to protect ourselves and then side effects make you question the worth of it.

Personally i would love to get it only because i work with people with disabilities and it's rampant in our programs/company. However i also am taking my neurologist advice at this time because i've now heard from two different neurologist to wait a little longer for a little more information regarding it with certain medications. Just going to continue to be as careful as one can.

Comment

Jennaly16 - if you don't mind, what DMT do you take that your neuro opposes it? The other thread has comments from people on their docs opinions. Some are a go ahead, some are wait.

I found out at my Tysabri infusion, my neuro is recommending getting the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. I have my appointment in February, so will ask him more about why he came to that conclusion and to guage risk. I am leaning towards getting it. Waiting on the NMSS recommendations as well.
            Last edited by pennstater; 01-06-2021, 11:49 AM.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you for reporting polopuppy and yes you’ve scared the daylights out of me but these things I want to know.
              It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

I am on Mayzent! I have a neuro appt end of January where I am going to ask again about it and hopefully there are some updates surrounding it.

Comment

I had the 1st injection of the Moderna vaccine on 2/9. I did not have any side effects other than a sore arm for a day. I'm not on any DMTs. I do take LDN. Has anyone had the 2nd injection and how did you react to it?

Comment

Hi Lianne,

I had my second dose of Pfizer a couple weeks ago. My side effects were very similar to the first vaccine but with the addition of fevers and chills. I felt terrible for 3 days but woke up feeling a million times better on day 4. Everyone I know, including my PCP and ophthalmologist felt pretty awful after the second vaccine, whether they received Pfizer or Moderna. My fevers, headache, body aches started at the 12 hour mark with the 2nd instead of right away, like the first shot. Tylenol, Advil and lots of hot tea were my best friends. All the best.

Comment

I'm following this thread.

In Kansas, they have begun Phase 2, and have a long waiting list to complete it. I expect that I will likely be eligible for the shot in Phase 3, but that will likely be awhile.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Received the first dose on Feb 4th and no side effects except a sore arm and feeling a little tired. Next dose of Moderna March 4th and while not looking forward to the increase of side effects, I want to play it safe. I heard one is not fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after the 2nd dose.

And still, after being fully vaccinated, one must wear a mask (double masking, surgical or KN95) and practice safe distancing. So don't let your guard down
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks, Polopuppy, Mamabug and Seasha. My 2nd dose is on March 9th and hoping for the best, while feeling pretty anxious about it.

Comment

Hi Lianne,

My sister-in-law was worried about side effects she might have after her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. She cleared her calendar for the day afterward, expecting not to feel well. Other than a sore arm and feeling more fatigued than usual, she was fine.

I only hope to be that lucky when I'm finally eligible to get the vaccine. Best of luck with yours!
                            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks, Kimba22. I have been having more fatigue than usual in the last few days so not looking forward to more. I'm hoping by March 9th that I will be feeling better, prior to getting the 2nd dose.

Comment

Working...
                              X