X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRIs during COVID-19

Happy new year everyone!
    Hope you are all well.
    I created this new topic but please let me know if this has been covered before. I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I may be overthinking this but I am worried about my upcoming brain MRI. There is a surge in COVID-19 cases in my hometown and our hospital is overloaded. Is sliding inside an MRI machine for half an hour safe during a pandemic? I guess cleaning the bed and the pads is quite straight forward but how about the magnet bore? It sounds like cumbersome task to clean inside these units, and considering tens of patients use these without masks everyday, viruses can accumulate within.

Am I being paranoid as usual? Are MRI machines common places for infection?

All the best,

Bill

Hello Bill

There was some discussion recently about MRI and facemasks.

MRI / Facemasks - MSWorld Forums

We can only hope the machine is thoroughly cleaned after each use.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome Bill.

I would discuss with your neuro. If you are diagnosed and have been stable, I would think it would be ok to postpone. Similarly, if on a DMT and are not considered a risk for PML, again I think it would be ok to postpone.

I had an MRI this spring when covid-19 was rapidly spreading. They provided a non-metal face mask. I have my neuro appointment in Feb, and probably will ask to defer until summer, when hopefully more contained again or even wait another year. I have been stable for a few years.

If you are looking at getting diagnosed, have had changes or additional symptoms, started a DMT and trying to see if working for you, or based on DMT need monitoring, it may be worth getting the MRI. It is a risk/benefit discussion to have with your neuro. You can call the hospital ahead to ask about safety precautions and whether they will supply a non metal mask or you need to bring it.

Lots of luck.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I’m seeing my new neurologist in February. I’m going to tell her I’m not going to get an mri (well I never plan to get one again but that’ll be a conversation for 2022)... until

I have a corona vaccine

numbers in my town our in single digits a day

The vaccine is proven effective over a period of time (I’ll probably say a year)

and there can’t be any new strains of corona that the vaccine might not protect against...

we will see what she says, but at the end of the day it’s my life at risk of I get into that stupid magnet and it’s a hard pass from me.

Comment

Here's some info that may be helpful ~

In a letter published in the Journal of the American College of Radiology, investigators from the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California (USC) and the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) outlined specific steps geared toward the MRI suite that can reduce transmission risks.

“Radiology departments worldwide are attempting to mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said lead study author Ali Gholamrezanezhad, M.D., from USC's emergency radiology division. “There are natural concerns regarding possible airborne transmission of the coronavirus in the MR suite.”

Most MRI suites are designed with positive air pressure, a feature that forces bulk air out of the suite without allowing it to re-circulate into the room. Current guidelines, supported by the American College of Radiology (ACR), recommend at least six air changes per hour – 12 per hour for aerosol-generating procedures. In fact, one study found 12 hourly changes reduced the possibility of viral transmission by 58 percent.

But, there are more tactics that practices and departments should implement to bolster the disinfection effort with their MRI suites, the researchers said. Alongside a 60-minute aeration time and a standard disinfection protocol, providers should also consider these steps:

• Wipe down the bay and patient-contact surfaces in the suite with approved disinfectant wipes after each patient.

• Add an additional one-hour downtime after scanning any patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection.

• Close all MRI suite waiting areas to decrease the risk of airborne viral transmission.

• All department staff should adhere to personal protective equipment (PPE) guidelines at all times.

• Replace PPE after scanning patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection.

• Endure that PPE for all personnel entering the magnet room are MRI-safe.

https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/vi...se-at-the-time
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

When the pandemic started i was supposed to have a MRI and i postponed it for four months. When i had it done i did have to wear a face mask in the machine and they did move me to the "bigger" MRI so they could circulate the air while i was in there better. For this one i had to have Valium as i was in for three hours and i could not have anyone stay in the waiting room with me. (side note- nothing was funnier then being loopy, unable to find a restroom and unable to figure out the gown with no one around. I gave the techs a huge laugh for the day). With a surge again in my area i will wait as long as possible before having one again however i am also stable without a concern at this time. I really think it's up to your comfort, the reason you are having it done (are you stable? are you having symptoms?) etc. But your neuro is probably the best one to discuss with.
            Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
            Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Just my opinion and everyone has to make up their own mind but I'm doing nothing that isn't essential until I get the vaccine. I'm not attending any non-urgent medical appointments, not socializing, seeing family, eating at restaurants etc.

In fact I might continue to mask long after the pandemic is finally over. The sound of someone coughing or sneezing now makes me paranoid and livid.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

I got an MRI back in October of 2020. I didn't wear a mask in the tube, didn't get Corona and am still alive and kicking.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I have had three MRI's since Covid hit and have felt very safe by the safety procedures that my facility has in place. I have to be carefully screened before each one. The dressing rooms, lockers and MRI scanners are sterilized after any patient uses them. They limit the number of people in the elevators. waiting rooms and dressing rooms. I had to keep a mask on for the entire scan and they made sure I was given one that did not contain a metal nose piece. I agree that each person should have a discussion with their neurologist to decide whether proceeding or delaying scheduled imaging makes the best sense for you. Take care and be safe everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
                    I have had three MRI's since Covid hit and have felt very safe by the safety procedures that my facility has in place. I have to be carefully screened before each one. The dressing rooms, lockers and MRI scanners are sterilized after any patient uses them. They limit the number of people in the elevators. waiting rooms and dressing rooms. I had to keep a mask on for the entire scan and they made sure I was given one that did not contain a metal nose piece. I agree that each person should have a discussion with their neurologist to decide whether proceeding or delaying scheduled imaging makes the best sense for you. Take care and be safe everyone.
                    Good info. Thanks.

~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                    X