Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internal, night-time tremors making me stiff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal, night-time tremors making me stiff?

Just another question from me....

I sleep well. I am very lucky that I sleep well and I realize this. However, I suffer from internal tremors. Often, when I am in bed I can feel the tremors but am able to fall asleep. I have noticed that when I wake up in the morning after a night of these tremors I feel like I am 100 years old. I am so stiff! It's like every muscle in my body has been working out for 8 hours.

Can the tremors cause this? Once I am up and going I am better as the muscles have had some time to get working but getting out of bed is pretty tight. I find I don't even walk right for the first few minutes.

It's hard to know if new symptoms are an "MS thing" or just normal, every day, "getting old" kind of stuff.
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Hi Pistachio

I wouldn't be surprised if the muscle stiffness that you describe is MS spasticity, which affects around 80% of persons with MS.

MS spasticity can be mild to severe, and can vary in intensity at different times of the day.

There are various triggers that can cause spasticity to appear, or worsen. I was really surprised to learn about some of the things that can trigger spasticity.

I found that lying flat on my back at night triggers my leg and back spasticity, so now at night I lay on my side with my knees bent, which has helped to reduce the tightness when I get up in the morning.

Also, I do various simple stretches throughout the day, and try to move around often, in order to keep my muscles as loose as possible.

If interested, these MS Trust links provide helpful info about spasticity, and a list of spasticity triggers.

Spasticity and spasms | MS Trust

Spasticity triggers | MS Trust

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I can’t give you the answer but I think I have experienced the same thing at times. This, I really would attribute to MS. Could what you call night time tremors actually be a form of RLS?

when my RLS first started and I had no treatment for it the sensation often would creep all over.

i have extreme actual tremors but they have been greatly relieved with primidone. My dad used to describe what he called the jitters. Thankfully, that has come only rarely for me but I think I know what you mean .

Stretches are definitely a good start to helping the cramping but it’s a good idea to tell your neurologist about it. It is the start of spasticity. Baclofen really helps.

there are those who believe we should be able to manage all of our systems without any medication. That’s fine but I believe that these medications that were invented specifically to help MS are a godsend. If we have a chance to feel more normal any means is ok in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post

there are those who believe we should be able to manage all of our systems without any medication. That’s fine but I believe that these medications that were invented specifically to help MS are a godsend. If we have a chance to feel more normal any means is ok in my book.
        I was just diagnosed, via MRI, in October. I don't have my neuro appointment until April. Hence, no DMTs for me for a good while.....
        "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
        ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

Pistachio
          What you are describing is exactly how I am in the mornings.
          Not to set off the alarms but I was diagnosed 2005. I didn’t know for sure what kind of MS I had till I asked years later. I only assumed
          PPMS. And wasn’t offered a DMT till 2017. Only one neurologist appointment per year. And three MRI’s since diagnosed. Canadian also. Being PPMS in those days there was nothing for me anyway. Travelled to Poland and did CCSVI around 2010. Drained my pockets and had an adventure. I still think it helped a bit. You may have a chance of an early DMT in April. I know it seems like a long ways away your appointment but things are so much better now even here in Canada. Hang tough and know you’re not alone
          It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
          X