Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on your upcoming move! I hope once settled and adjusted, you enjoy your new community and your needs are continually met. Lots of luck. Also look forward to future updates!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      Congrats on your upcoming move! I hope once settled and adjusted, you enjoy your new community and your needs are continually met. Lots of luck. Also look forward to future updates!
      I will update but with 30 days to go, much remains! Thanks Kathy!

Jer

Comment

Hi Jer I hope your move goes well and you get settled in with ease. I have no knowledge on this topic. We just got my dad settled in an assisted living facility but my brother did all the leg work. My dad is in a different state so I went to help pack up and move him. Again...wishing you all he best.

Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          Hi Jer I hope your move goes well and you get settled in with ease. I have no knowledge on this topic. We just got my dad settled in an assisted living facility but my brother did all the leg work. My dad is in a different state so I went to help pack up and move him. Again...wishing you all he best.

Thanks Snoopy! I'll try to keep a progress report from my arrival (10 November) onward.

Can't even think about it yet. Friends are helping me as you/bro helped your dad and that fills my days.

Comment

Following. Thanks for keeping us posted.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi everybody!

Just looked at the initial thread I posted... a year ago! Well I now live in the independent living section of a Life community (or CCRC).

Well the purge was the roughest part. Never though of myself as a pack-rat but all the decisions necessary as to what stays / what goes became overwhelming. This is where good friends come in. Less is definitely more. Fresh start with only useful items is the game plan. We will see.

Physical move was professional but 8-10 boxes were packed by me. A mistake actually. If the movers pack it, they unpack and remove any boxes. So I lived with boxes a few additional days.

People here have been warm and welcoming. Staff the same. Guess in 11 days, I am hoping to remember names of a dozen people or so. I get lost everyday even with a map. And tired, as much or more walking than back in NEPA. Only once to gym so far, but there is a really nice looking pool that has open and scheduled exercise time. Yes.

Haven’t gotten use to schedules, think restaurants, hours & ordering. Not use to their mask mandate either. Sigh. Or the badge thing as payment for anything / everything..., or the wrist band with the apartment key attached… Feel like a little kid in winter with his mittens clipped to his coat sleeves!

Still spend time daily alerting Cards (Master, AMEX, etc), Social Security, Annunity, Insurance, DMV, etc, etc. as to address alterations. Every day I think of something else that needs doing. Like schredding documents. Never finished this before move, so now I get to do it here. Yikes!

Preliminary update on one to ten rates an 8. It may be a silly reason but the sunrise is exceptional! .... Like on an ocean liner, nothing but glowing red / blue / purple with pink undersides to any clouds before sun breaks horizon, fills every room with a warm glow! I face E-SE above tree line, formerly NE in a wooded valley.

Hoping the time away from exercise can be recouped here with the coming years a bit like today's sunrise.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this update. It sounds really nice and like it will only get better as you settle in and learn the lay of the land. Please keep us posted and continue enjoying the beautiful sunsets.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

So many changes in a year.
                  Wishing you all the best
                  I can understand that it must have been a windy road that has taken you there.
                  It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Glad things are working out for you. As you settle in more and become more comfortable getting around, I am sure it will seem like home again. It is funny you mentioned mealtime as an adjustment. I have heard that before. The plus side is you don't have to cook or do the dishes.

Glad you had the help of friends cleaning out. I want to start doing that here, but my husband is more sentimental. So little by little, getting rid of things. I told my husband that we have a new rule - something new comes in, something old had to go (donate, give away, or trash).

​​​​​​Hope you continue to see the sunsets.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                      Hi everybody!

Just looked at the initial thread I posted... a year ago! Well I now live in the independent living section of a Life community (or CCRC).
                      Preliminary update on one to ten rates an 8.
                      Glad the transition seems to be more positive than negative.

~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey there Jer!

Thanks for the terrific update.

Glad to know that your plans have materialized, and all is going well.

Wishing you the best at your new home!

Let us know how the pool experience goes.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Need to thank all for the well wishes!

Got lost once this week, so Jules that "lay of the land comment" holds true. Thinking that the scheduled approach that the community has regarding meals may take longer. My internal clock being in a different time zone.

Had to laugh Pennstater at your comment: The plus side is you don't have to cook or do the dishes. Now have a dishwasher and still do the dish(s), poorly, and now with one hand, but I'll run washer once in a while . Got it, use it!

Oceanpride, you're right regarding all the changes but it started maybe 3 years ago. A lost friend telling me that you will know when it's time, she was right. Research began followed quickly by 2 years of procrastination, then more research, ad nauseam etc. If it's not hard, it's not my way.

I expect a lesson in humility. Age alone does this but with MS... class is in session. I see a rollator in my future and consider my move here motivated by a desire for anonymity. A stranger showing empathy, better than an old friend?

On a more Nuts & bolts approach... last night was a very good Salmon dinner! The sunrises (not sunsets guys!) continue!
                          ... and I did work at establishing a routine exercise program KoKo / Mamabug! Will try to put the few things I did do together for the Goalposters thread.

Again, thanks for the warm thoughts!

Comment

Working...
                          X