Is Symptom Relief Possible? - Arm Weakness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Symptom Relief Possible? - Arm Weakness

I am newly diagnosed so am not yet on any DMTs or any other treatment. As a matter of fact I am still waiting for an appointment time for my referral to the MS Clinic. Health care in Ontario (Canada) is notoriously back-logged so this is our "normal". It took me 88 days to get an MRI. So, while this really sucks and is, in my opinion, unacceptable, it's the way it is here. Anyway, on to my question....

I am experiencing arm weakness. I have a PT job (more like a paid hobby) that I really, really enjoy. I teach English to kids in China, online. I am starting to find it hard to keep my arms lifted when I hold up teaching props. My arms are so tired and heavy. I really want to keep teaching as it makes me happy and makes me feel fulfilled. I think it's important to my happiness and stress level.

Are there avenues for symptom relief for limb weakness? I would like to know before my neuro appointment so I can bring this up.

Thanks!
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Totally off topic but how do I edit a post? I spelled "ARM" wrong in the title!
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by Pistachio View Post
      Are there avenues for symptom relief for limb weakness? I would like to know before my neuro appointment so I can bring this up.
      It would be helpful to get an assessment of your arm weakness by a physical therapist for strength training recommendations (weights, resistance bands, etc).

Good luck!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Totally off topic but how do I edit a post? I spelled "ARM" wrong in the title!
        Fixed for you! (Mods will edit upon poster request.)

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

It would be helpful to get an assessment of your arm weakness by a physical therapist for strength training recommendations (weights, resistance bands, etc).

Good luck!

My arms are pretty strong, as in having a lot of muscle mass. So I don't lack the physical attributes of strength.
          ~Leonard Cohen

Comment

My arms are pretty strong, as in having a lot of muscle mass. So I don't lack the physical attributes of strength.
            Stretching may be helpful, as feelings of weakness in the arms can often be attributed to spasticity (muscle tightening).

During a neuro exam, I couldn't lift my arms as high as was requested. I thought that it was weakness, but neuro attributed it to mild spasticity and referred me to PT for stretching recommendations. Stretching made a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Stretching may be helpful, as feelings of weakness in the arms can often be attributed to spasticity (muscle tightening).

During a neuro exam, I couldn't lift my arms as high as was requested. I thought that it was weakness, but neuro attributed it to mild spasticity and referred me to PT for stretching recommendations. Stretching made a big difference.
              THANK YOU! I never would have thought it related to spasticity. I will definitely try stretching. I have to say, this forum rocks! You are all so helpful and have made the big step into this journey easier knowing that others are like me and willing to help.
              ~Leonard Cohen

Comment

Working...
              X