MRI Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI Question

I had another MRI yesterday and I wondered why my MRI's are done both with and without contrast. If contrast is better why not just do it that way instead of both?

Hi loopey ~

Originally posted by loopey View Post
    I had another MRI yesterday and I wondered why my MRI's are done both with and without contrast.
    MRI without contrast shows both old and new lesions (lesions that were not shown on previous MRI), but does not indicate whether there is any current inflammation going on.

MRI with contrast shows currently active (inflammation) lesions.

Originally posted by loopey;n508034I
    If contrast is better why not just do it that way instead of both?
    Contrast MRI may not show new lesions that may have occurred since last MRI, but are no longer active (inflamed).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by KoKo; 11-01-2020, 08:35 AM.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you Koko!!

Comment

I've stopped getting the contrast because i had a difficult time with the last time i had it done. They couldn't get a needle in my vein after four nurses tried. My neurologist told me that he just needs to know if the lesions are there or not and if there are more. Also without contrast cut down the time in the MRI machine which i'm thankful for! However that is what i am comfortable with and others may want the contrast.
        Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
        Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Working...
        X